News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re: King's Putter VI 2008 Update
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2008, 11:26:34 AM »
An announcement from myself and Robert Ball will be forthcoming. I just hope we can do as good a job as was done this year. Very big act to follow! :o

FANTASTIC!

You guys are the men.  No huge rush, obviously.  And all it takes is effort.

;D

TH

ps - one hint, if I may be so bold... making it either earlier or later will help attendance... April/May are exceedingly busy months for one and all, I think... things tend to calm down in June, or not be started in March....

Tim Bert

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2008, 11:58:48 AM »

ps - Pieracci over Wall straight up?  A 5 beats a 1?  Yowza....  ;D

I witnessed this one firsthand.  If Pieracci is a 5, then he probably just doesn't get to play enough golf.  He played like a +2 handicap on the back nine.  Lipped out what would have been a 3rd consecutive birdie.  It was a great match, but Jordan just ran into a hot ticket.  I think Jordan may have been a couple over par on the last 15 holes and still went from 1-up to 2-down in the course of that stretch.   

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2008, 12:08:43 PM »
Pieracci most definitely does not get to play enough golf - like all of us oldsters.

But oh yes the man can play, and can get scary hot.  I have witnessed this myself.

Sadly not in our Masters Fourball events, though....   ;)  Must be my negative influence.

;D

Tim Bert

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2008, 12:16:09 PM »
As John alluded to on the Pebble Beach thread, I went a bit overboard with the pictures.  I was able to refrain on the front nine at Pacific Grove out of respect for Shivas, but once his game went south on the back nine, I started snapping away.

Once I get things organized, I'll share some of my favorites.  For now, I wanted to start with one of the best I caught yesterday.

I call it "Mary Poppins Sighting at Pasa"

David Stamm

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2008, 12:21:14 PM »

I call it "Mary Poppins Sighting at Pasa"

That's rich, Tim!!!! :D I had to do a double take when I saw Evan with that set up. But then again, it was very warm out there yesterday.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

ed_getka

« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2008, 01:22:27 PM »
Guys,
   Thanks for coming and making the event such a success. It was a pleasure to meet so many new GCA guys and put faces with names.
   Major kudos to our pairings master Tom Huckaby with the resultant NorCal victory. The cosmos are now back in alignment. :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2008, 01:25:38 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Before any excuses get made, one and all please review the pairings and the handicaps.  It was NOT me who set up a victory... in 10 of the 14 singles matches the lower capper was from ROW, some by as many as five shots.  In damn near all of the better ball matches the higher cappers were NorCal.  In fact I was very worried about potential physical harm being brought on me by my team-mates.

This was a victory done by the clubs, not the keystrokes...

But yes, the cosmos are indeed back where they should be.

TH

Tim Bert

« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2008, 01:32:25 PM »
Tom - I think we may have won the singles matches.  It was certainly closer than the team matches.

ROW is sort of like the American Ryder Cup team, I guess.  We do better on Sunday than the we do the rest of the week - unfortunately it is often too late.

Congratulations to NorCal, and thanks again to everyone that made this get-together possible.  This was a fabulous trip!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2008, 01:42:45 PM »
Tim:

If you won 10 out of 14 singles - which seems to be the report - then basically it worked out as it should per handicaps.  As I looked at the other 18 points, I had it that ROW ought to win at least 12 there, again based on handicaps.  I was very worried about an ROW rout, but it had to be set up as such as ROW had so many more purported low handicappers.

So however and why ever it it worked out as it did, well....

It wasn't my doing,other than supporting my partners with witty banter on their way to two wins on Friday.  That's all I am saying.

;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2008, 02:07:10 PM »
An epic weekend for sure....no pressure David!!

Let me also state my thanks for all those who setup the rounds, made arrangements, meals, etc, etc.  Bob, Tom, Ed, Stan you guys did a fantastic job and it went off without a hitch...that is besides Tony and Tim getting lost a few times.  But hey that wasn't the organizers fault.

Tim I look forward to those pics upcoming.  I took a few snaps as well and will get them up there, but I forgot my camera for Sundays round.   :'(  :'(

It really was a pleasure meeting all of you and putting a face to the names.  As always if your ever in the Salt Lake City area for whatever reason give me a call and we'll go hit the links.  And being at elevation I can actually hit some decent tee shots here.   ;)  ;D

Jordan Wall

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2008, 02:14:30 PM »
;D ;D ;D

Before any excuses get made, one and all please review the pairings and the handicaps.  It was NOT me who set up a victory... in 10 of the 14 singles matches the lower capper was from ROW, some by as many as five shots.  In damn near all of the better ball matches the higher cappers were NorCal.  In fact I was very worried about potential physical harm being brought on me by my team-mates.

TH

Tom,

I played my ass off against Steve and didn't win.  He was 4 strokes higher then me and just played fantastic.  His putts fell, mine didn't, and kudos to him.  I lipped out birdies on 7, 9, 10, and was an inch away from holing out from the bunker on 15 to make birdie.  On the other hand, I could have given Steve his twenty footers and it wouldn't have mattered.  It was the most fun I could have had in a match, even though I lost.  I loved the challenge.  Of course, after losing the match on 17, I won 18 with a snaking birdie putt right in the back of the hole.  Oh well...

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2008, 02:23:41 PM »
Jordan - good on you, as the Aussies say.

Now just figure out a way to get my partner there to reproduce this in October in the second of our "majors."

;D ;D

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2008, 02:31:39 PM »
;D ;D ;D

TH

Not that it mattered, given the entire collapse of my swing this week, my ROW opponent, reputedly a 14 HANDICAP, shot 4 over at Pasatiempo yesterday. Something tells me the courses in Australia feature sandbag bunkers...
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

David Stamm

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2008, 02:32:35 PM »
Guys,
   Thanks for coming and making the event such a success. It was a pleasure to meet so many new GCA guys and put faces with names.
   Major kudos to our pairings master Tom Huckaby with the resultant NorCal victory. The cosmos are now back in alignment. :)

Thank you, Ed, for reminding of an omission on my part. :-[ Hucks, I failed to also thank you for your efforts on this great outing. Please forgive me. I wish we could've spent some more time together, but family takes priority over anything else. Next time, bubba! ;)
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2008, 02:34:29 PM »
David - no hassles man.   ;D

Kyle - you were the sacrificial lamb.  Read the pairings thread and you'll see I at least negotiated that R&A 14 down to a USGA 12, as it should be.  But still I figured you were in for a tough one.  But wow... that's some good playing by Elvins....

Steve Pieracci

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2008, 02:55:50 PM »
What fun!

I was 0-1-1 or 1-1-1 depending on the first match.

Pieracci kicked my ass 2&1 today, making four twenty plus foot putts.  I thought I played well too - hell, birdied 8 and 18 (Doak didn't make 18 hard enough LOL), and two putted from the bottom of #16 126 feet up to a back pin. 
Pierraci though - screwed me twice.  Had the match won at Bayonet on 18 before his impossible chip in from outer space behind the green.  Bayonet itself was interesting by the way, but's thats a whole different story.

Pacific Grove was fantastic.  An epic skins game with that Robert Ball guy handed me another close loss.  However, since we were the first group off that day, and some locals went off the back and ended up ahead of us, we found some extra time around the greens.  Alas, we played h-o-r-s-e for five or so holes after we finished putting out and I won each time so I know Robert got lucky with the match.

Pasatiempo was amazing.  So was Spyglass.  And anyone who talks low of Pebble Beach is on crack.
What a wonderful trip!
Good day and good night.

- Jordan

Jordan,
I would hardly call 2 & 1 an ass whipping.  That was a great match that could have gone either way.  You did play well, and McBride and I were very impressed. 

Steve Pieracci

« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2008, 03:03:20 PM »
Pieracci most definitely does not get to play enough golf - like all of us oldsters.

But oh yes the man can play, and can get scary hot.  I have witnessed this myself.

Sadly not in our Masters Fourball events, though....   ;)  Must be my negative influence.

;D

Thank you for the kind words Mr. H and Mr. Bert.
Pieracci can also get scary cold as well.  And this was witnessed by Mr. Ball and Mr. Wall on Saturday afternoon. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2008, 03:25:11 PM »
As Huck promised....here are the results.  Winners are bolded!!

Friday                                                                                      Points            Result
Meadow Club   
McBride (NC) v. Pittock (ROW)                                            1                        1 up

Pajaro Valley         
Huckaby/Dodd (NC) v. Fleisher/Peterson (ROW)              1                3&2
Pierraci/Braley (NC) v. Stamm/Miller (RoW)                      1                 3&2

SpyGlass         
Jenkins/Mayhugh (NC) v. Bert/Wall (ROW)                         1                   ??

Old Del Monte         
Pieracci/Dodd (NC) v. Peterson/Schmidt (ROW)                1                2&1
Huckaby/Braley (NC) v. Duran/Stamm (ROW)                    1                 4&3        
 Getka/Ron M.(NC) v. Fleisher/Bert (ROW)                            1                  6&5

Saturday         
Pacific Grove                  
Dodd/Braley (NC) v. Stamm/Fleisher(RoW)                               1                 1 up
Getka/Ron M (NC) v. Crisham/Elvins (ROW)                        1               3&1
Pieracci/VanderBorght (NC) v. Lavallee/Peterson (ROW)     1            5&4
Wilson / Mayhugh (NC) v. Schmidt /Bert (ROW)                   1              1 up

MPCC         
Huntley/Braley (NC) v. Miller/Bert (ROW)                                     0.5                    
LaGow/Jenkins (NC) v. Lavalle/Pittock (ROW)                        0.5                          
Brown/Mayhugh (NC) v. Shivas/Petersen (ROW)                      1             5&4
A.N. Other/McBride (NC) v. Stamm/Crisham (ROW)                    1             5&4

Bayonet         
Benham/Dodd (NC) v. Wall/Ball (ROW)                                    0.5               
Pieracci/Henderson (NC) v. Duran/Fleisher (ROW)                1                 3&2
Wilson (NC) v. Elvins (ROW)                                                        1                      ??

Sunday         
Pasatiempo         
Huntley (NC)  v. Crisham (ROW)                                               1                   ??
Chestnut (NC) v. Schmidt (ROW)                                               1                ??
Mayhugh (NC) v. Lavallee (ROW)                                                 1               ??
Dodd (NC) v. Ball (ROW)                                                                  1                   ??
Kiser (NC) v. Miller (ROW)                                                               0.5           
Henderson (NC) v. Elvins (ROW)                                                 1                     ??
Pieracci (NC) v. Wall (ROW)                                                             1          ??
McBride (NC) v. Bert (ROW)                                                                1                   ??
Krystynak (NC) v. Peterson (ROW)                                            1                   ??
Jenkins (NC) v. Duran (ROW)                                                            0.5   
Getka (NC) v. Pittock (ROW)                                                            0.5   
Wilson (NC) v. Stamm (ROW)                                                             1                2 up
Braley (NC)v. Fleisher (ROW)                                                              1                     1 up
Benham (NC) v. Spaulding (ROW)                                                 1                    2&1

Totals   NorCal 18         RoW     14   
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 10:17:27 AM by Kalen Braley »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2008, 03:29:45 PM »
Promising that others will do some hard work is indeed my specialty.

Thanks, Kalen!

Some quite interesting results there... in any case, well done one and all.

Now we just need to locate Jeff Fortson and retrieve said Putter.  Some day....

;D

David Stamm

« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2008, 03:44:19 PM »
The PG results are incorrect. Stamm was teamed with Fleisher and defeated Dodd and Braley 1 up.

David Stamm

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2008, 03:45:47 PM »
Wilson defeated Stamm 2 up at Pasa.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2008, 04:06:03 PM »
The PG results are incorrect. Stamm was teamed with Fleisher and defeated Dodd and Braley 1 up.

Thanks Dave,

Duly noted and corrected as well as the margin of defeat on Sunday.

Kalen

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2008, 04:11:41 PM »
Please don't force me to admit to the staggering margin of my defeat, lest I be paired forever with Stephen Ames.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Stan Dodd

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2008, 04:14:15 PM »
Dodd was the sacrificial lamb at Pasa losing 6 and 5 to Ball who played great.  My handicap was suffering from phony deflation as a result of too much PG.

It was really great to meet everyone.  I am amazed at the great group of people I have met on this site.  Everyone wasa pleasure and look forward to doing it again.  Cheers to all.  What a fun event.

ed_getka

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2008, 04:22:14 PM »

Now we just need to locate Jeff Fortson and retrieve said Putter.  Some day....

;D

Tom,
    Tommy N has the putter. Unfortunately I realized too late that I hadn't made arrangements to get it up here. Dan King has a backup though, so one way or another we'll get a putter back in your hands. I would hold it but I'll be too far away after this summer. I do expect to remain an honorary NorCal for life though. :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back