News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gerry B

Re: Island Greens
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008, 12:46:54 AM »
re; the creek - the par 3 11th  Biarritz at the Creek is in fact an island green and one of the earlier ones - one of my favorite holes on the planet - the green isapprox  106 yds deep - can play 130 or 230 dependig on the pin.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2008, 01:01:49 AM »

I know there's a Ross in NE Florida that has an island green.

Bill

Are you possibly thinking of the Ponte Vedra Club, which was designed by Herbert Strong?  Their island hole was supposedly the inspiration for Pete Dye's 17th at TPC Sawgrass.

Rich

Bill_McBride

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2008, 09:13:24 AM »
"Are there any real 100% island greens -- i.e. ones totally surrounded by water, so you have to take a boat to get to and from them?"

How quickly we have forgotten Cour De Lane... (Sorry for the misspelling and for missing that it has ALREADY been mentioned!) 

See the initial post - it's "Coeur d'Alene"

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2008, 09:14:46 AM »

I know there's a Ross in NE Florida that has an island green.

Bill

Are you possibly thinking of the Ponte Vedra Club, which was designed by Herbert Strong?  Their island hole was supposedly the inspiration for Pete Dye's 17th at TPC Sawgrass.

Rich

I guess so, I was thinking it was Ross.   He designed a number of courses there in the 1920's and I was thinking Ponte Vedra was one of them.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2008, 04:18:19 PM »
Here is the famous island green at Ponte Vedra INN:

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Joe Bausch

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2008, 04:53:57 PM »
A solid public course by Jim Blaukovitch outside of Philly added an island green hole a few years after the original course was complete.  It took the place of a cruddy little par 3.  It is situated on land that used to have a big sewer treatment waste facility that was shuddered.  I guess if you feel island greens are a crappy idea, then you're really right at this course.  ;)

Here is a view from the back tees, about 150 yards total to a very wide and big green:

Here is a view from the back of the two-tiered green that is sloped to help stop hot shots:

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Greg Tallman

« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2008, 04:23:15 PM »
The only true island green i know of is at the Four Seasons Punta MIta Resort just outside Puerto Vallarta and is the hole Bill ask about when referencing Cabo I am sure.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2008, 07:25:38 PM by Greg Tallman »

Frank Sullivan

« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2008, 01:25:53 AM »
Another island green we will see a lot of come Ryder Cup is N. 13 at Valhalla...I know it is not a Par 5 (Par 4), but it is a different look for an island green...elevated by boulders...when I was caddying there in high school (1990), they would dye the water blue (VERY BLUE) in the mote around the green...anyway, the pros should be hitting anywhere from a 9 iron to a SW, so it shouldn't be that difficult...

http://www.rydercup.com/2008/usa/course/hole_13.html

Frank

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2008, 09:10:42 AM »
Here's an article in today's NY Times on island greens that is not as extensive as our discussion above:

www.nytimes.com/2008/05/05/sports/golf/05pennington.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Roger Tufts

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2008, 05:36:14 PM »
The 4th hole at Thistle Golf Club in North Carolina is an island green with 2 waste bunkers fronting it... measures 183 from the back tees, 156 from the blues.

Layout Picture:

Cornell University '11 - Tedesco Country Club - Next Golf Vacation: Summer 2015 @ Nova Scotia & PEI (14 Rounds)

Roger Tufts

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2008, 05:38:10 PM »
Also the 12th at Kings North:

EDIT: Sorry for double post.
Cornell University '11 - Tedesco Country Club - Next Golf Vacation: Summer 2015 @ Nova Scotia & PEI (14 Rounds)

JeffTodd

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2008, 11:12:29 PM »
Just noted a thread about a Tillie course closing, meaning it was designed and built I guess before 1930, that featured an island green on a par 5.
Bill, here is #7 from Old Orchard, the soon to be NLE course you mentioned:

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2008, 11:13:56 PM »
Jeff,

:'(

John Moore II

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2008, 12:48:50 AM »
The Pit in Pinehurst also has an island green, #12. From the back tee it is 198 yards. Hmmm....how about unfair, hitting a 4 or 5 iron into a firm, smallish green. Yeah, if ever something should be defined as stupid, that is it.

JeffTodd

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2008, 10:25:21 AM »
Jeff,

:'(
I concur, Mike. I last played there in August '07 (when the pic was taken). It was a fun, sporty little course, and I think we paid $48 to play it on a Saturday; possibly the best deal in Monmouth County.

It's always sad to see a course go, but especially sad when it has a legitimate pedigree.

John_Conley

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2008, 02:51:40 PM »
I didn't see it mentioned.  The obvious one is Muirhead's at Stone Harbor.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2008, 05:34:26 PM »
Good article by Bill Fields of GD on the aftermath of 17 at TPC Sawgrass with some history with a good picture of Tillie's 15 at Galen Hall:

www.golfdigest.com/golfworld/columnists/2008/05/gw20080516fields?printable=true

« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 05:38:02 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2008, 07:21:20 PM »
True Island Green,

AWT

Shackamaxon

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2008, 07:33:48 PM »
Pat,

9 at Shackamaxon?

Michael Mimran

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2008, 09:12:14 PM »
#11 @ Silo Ridge, Amenia, NY  Totally ruined the flow of the course, what a mistake.  Hopefully they fix it during renovations.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2008, 09:53:09 AM »
#17 at Eagle Eye in Michigan was intended to be an exact replica of TPC. In fact, the undulations and bunker are indeed the same, I recognized my own shot while watching the Players.

#9 at Stonelick Hills in Cincinnati is a par-5 with island green. It is reachable for long hitters, but would be tough to hold, though it is very large, because the green is two tiered with the lower tier in the back. Fun hole.

The Briar Patch in WV has a long par-4, #18, with a large island green that is tough as nails.

Those are the only island greens I have played. Fun idea. And I am admittedly clueless about 'flow', so I cannot say how they 'fit' the rest of these courses.

Doug

Michael Mimran

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2008, 10:48:08 AM »
I was specifically referring to this course (Silo Ridge).  When the course was originally built it didn’t have this hole.  After a few years ownership changed and they wanted to put in a island green.  By doing this, they removed a great par 3 and combined it with the next hole, making it a stupid par 5.  The hole goes in the opposite direction of the rest and totally doesn't fit.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2008, 06:45:06 PM »
Mark Fine, Wayne Morrisson, et., al.,

Don't you think that the 17th at Cherry Hills would be a superior hole if they removed all of the trees surrounding the 17th green.

"Framing" has dumbed down the hole.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2008, 06:51:38 PM »
Two other island green par 5s that I know of are the 13th at the old TPC Woodlands course and the 18th at the Kingwood Island course. 

18 at Mission Hills Dinah Shore Course:

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2008, 08:00:55 PM »
Wouldn't this hole/green be better without those trees ? 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back