News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jeffwarne

Re: Can slow play ameliorate the effect of the wind ?
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2008, 08:27:56 AM »
AG,
a 30 will be done soon enough.

13 is mid-short iron reachable on an aggressive line.
Snedeker(not exactly a bomber) hit 5 iron into the wind on a cool day still on still soft fairways.
15 is iron reachable.
14 is a funnel pin.
16 is a funnel pin.
18's a feeder pin
I saw 100-120 yards in on 17 all week (although it was downwind)

the conditions were tough yesterday-and the fairways were still softish (i'm not sure why as they got .22 rain Saturday and it rained only the previous Saturday)

Immelman was bidding to be the FIRST player ever to shoot in the 60's all 3 days.

It is a bit like watching the British Open when the wind doesn't blow though.-different than what we expect
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2008, 08:35:23 AM »
A.G._Crockett is right - the Masters has become too US Open-like. 

I used to set my spring to the Masters, but I'm pretty disappointed now.  I actually nodded off a couple times on the back 9.  How sad is that?

Maybe the Tour Championship is the 5th major after all.  Geeze - at least it has a bit of a personality of its own.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2008, 09:05:13 AM »

As for the 5 hours, I can give the hall pass to anyone trying to win a Green Jacket.  A moment that can change their life trumps my viewing preferences by a mile. 
Can't agree.  I have a 12 year old son who is just getting into golf.  The Majors are the time of year he's most likely to take an interest in the professional game to fuel his interest in playing.  He (and other kids who need, for the future of the game to be interested and captivated as we were in the past) needs to see some action.  Countless cut-aways to turtles in the water, or azaleas or to retired players working as summarisers don't grab his attention.  Shots being played do.  At five hours for a two-ball (just writing that sentence beggars belief - that really is 5 hours for two men, with caddies and no lost balls to play 18 holes of golf) he doesn't see enough shots to involve him.  That's a big issue for golf and trumps the importance to Immelman of winning the Masters. 

If they carry on like this there'll be no value in winning a Major because in 20 years no-one but us (and we'll be old by then) will care.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »
AG,
a 30 will be done soon enough.

13 is mid-short iron reachable on an aggressive line.
Snedeker(not exactly a bomber) hit 5 iron into the wind on a cool day still on still soft fairways.
15 is iron reachable.
14 is a funnel pin.
16 is a funnel pin.
18's a feeder pin
I saw 100-120 yards in on 17 all week (although it was downwind)

the conditions were tough yesterday-and the fairways were still softish (i'm not sure why as they got .22 rain Saturday and it rained only the previous Saturday)

Immelman was bidding to be the FIRST player ever to shoot in the 60's all 3 days.

It is a bit like watching the British Open when the wind doesn't blow though.-different than what we expect

Jeff,
I hope you are right, but I don't see the evidence.  Thursday thru Saturday were pretty benign for spring in Georgia, and the low round of the tournament was a 67 by Flesch on Friday.  The lowest back nine score of the week were several 33's, and there weren't many of those.

I don't want to be taken wrong here; I'm not looking for -25 to win a major.  But I was fortunate enough to be at Augusta on Sunday in '86, and in a lifetime of sports, that is THE greatest excitement I've ever experienced.  I'm not sure that is possible now.  We already have one major in which a "charge" equals contenders backing up while the winner survives; two is one too many.

To get back to the premise of the thread, however, I do think the wind yesterday aggravated the already huge problem with slow play.  My answer to Pat's question is a resounding "No!", and the scores and pace of play proved that.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Michael Blake

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2008, 10:01:05 AM »
There was a great shot early in the telecast that caused me to say to myself, "welcome to my world of slow play on public courses."

They showed Tiger and Cink putting on #2.  Flesh and Casey standing next to each other chit-chatting for which seemd like a long time as they waited in #2 fairway.  Then showed Immelman and Snedeker waiting on #2 tee.

The backing off shots due to the wind was very annoying to watch.  I had no problem switching channels for a few seconds, then switching back.

But, regardless of alterations to the course, or slow play, I did enjoy watching and found it interesting simply because at the end of the day...it's still The Masters.

Mike Benham

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2008, 11:57:36 AM »
It is like watching a hockey team protect a 2-goal lead.  Boring.

Evidently you didn't watch the Sharks trying to protect a 3-goal lead against the Flames ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2008, 12:05:51 PM »
The excitement of the Masters has gone from a NASCAR race to Formula One.

Maybe it's the course.  Maybe it's the weather, but I miss the lead changes a Sunday at the Masters used to bring.

So you are saying it has become more exciting?  Because surely you can't suggest that watching NASCAR's 1000 left turns is more exciting than Formula One...  ::)

Au contraire.  Although the F1 course is winding, it's still largely follow the leader.  At least those 1000 turns produce some lead changes. 

I have to admit I watch neither, and on further review I want a bit of both...a winding course with lead changes.  Augusta used to have that.  Now it may be the opposite.

Sean_A

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2008, 12:10:02 PM »
It is like watching a hockey team protect a 2-goal lead.  Boring.

Evidently you didn't watch the Sharks trying to protect a 3-goal lead against the Flames ...

Mike

It was a glory to behold.  What a lovely boost it would be if the Flames could continue to take it to SJ.  BTW, that hit on whats his name yesterday, bloody face(?), was quite dubious imo.  However, Bloody Face needs to keep his head up!  That was incredibly stupid to be skating with his head down along the boards.  Live and learn. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back