News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Yost

LAST CALL: Vista Verde - Sunday May 4
« on: March 31, 2008, 12:19:28 PM »
** EDIT - Tee times made at Vista Verde:  8:30 and 8:40 **

Jason Topp has indicated he will be in town and would like to get together for a round of golf on Sunday May 4.

Suggestions included either the TPC Scottsdale Champions or Vista Verde. 

I'd like to set something up and include as many as would be interested, so check your calendars and reply here or PM me.

Tom
« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 04:47:08 PM by Tom Yost »

Tony Petersen

Re: GCA Phoenix - Sunday May 4
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 08:40:53 PM »
Yost -

I think I am going to be in SLC for a trade conference that weekend, but I will let you know when I get a confirmation.

TP
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 11:46:21 PM »
I'm interested and should be available.

Tony Petersen

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 09:43:07 PM »
BTW... Vista Verde is a MUST play, so I would recommend VV rather than Champions. I swear VV has some of the finest green complexes that I have ever run across ;)
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 11:54:09 PM »
Ive played VV a few times but never the Champions so keep your trap shut Tony  ;), and ive already stated my gripes with VV and its green complexes, but I have to compare them to Oakmonts so......

Jim Dawson

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008, 02:09:23 PM »
Has vista verde reopened?
Thanks,
JD

Tom Yost

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008, 07:51:55 PM »
Just got off the phone with the folks at Tonto Verde (Vista Verde has yet to have any onsite facilities or phone # !!)

Vista Verde is open, however they are planning to close the course for the summer on May 11.

The tee sheet is open for the morning of May 4th.  When inquiring about rates, I mentioned out-of-town visitors but the lady I spoke to indicated she would give us the resident rate of $75 (I wouldn't chisel that in stone, I think the current rack rate is $135)

Being that I have been wanting to check out VV and this would seem to be my last opportunity for a while, I'm inclined to go for it despite Ryan's reservations regarding those wacky Ken Kavanaugh green complexes   ;) 

What are you thinking Jason?

Tom

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008, 09:32:34 PM »
I don't think Kavanaugh has seen Bandon Trails yet and as we walked off one of the greens at Vista Verde I told him how much it reminded me of the green contours there.  Kavanaugh told me Bill Coore liked that hole himself. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 10:11:11 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Tony Petersen

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008, 10:21:32 PM »
I have to believe that eventually Vista Verde will get the national acclaim that it truly deserves, and in turn Kavanaughs profile will rise as well? I don't want to stroke egos, but for AZ golf it pretty much kicks big a** booty!

Think of it, the last 2 years when the Gateway Tour played VV, the leader after Day 1 didn't make the cut. Low scores have been shot, but you need to have some serious talent around those greens to get consistently up and down... and I love that! ;)

It's kicked my a** pretty much every time I've played it. Haven't broke 80 on VV to date, and every time I walk away mumbling that's it's really not that hard... which is what happens every time I play Desert Forest as well ;D

Tony Petersen

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008, 10:25:01 PM »
Just got off the phone with the folks at Tonto Verde (Vista Verde has yet to have any onsite facilities or phone # !!)

It's kind of funny. They have no on-site facilities other than a fence (around the carts) and a red shed... No food & beverage license so you get a snack pack included in the cart and free bottled water... But no houses (YET!)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 10:25:01 PM »
Tony,

When I saw that you posted on the man made object thread I thought you may mention the flood wall at VV.  I thought the use of the wall was genius.  My favorite is the back tee where you hit directly over the wall, even though it isn't in play it still intimidates.

Tony Petersen

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 10:28:29 PM »
John -

Absolutely agree with you on the wall and the back tee at VV. My buddies almost flipped the cart trying to go over the wall on that narrow path... talk about f**king lazy ;)

Come to think of it, I can't really remember the cart paths at VV... and that's a great thing ;)

Tom Yost

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2008, 01:12:34 PM »
Giving this a bump to see if anyone would be interested.

(edit) I have made two tee times at Vista Verde.  8:30 and 8:40.

In case you missed the other thread about VV, with pictures!
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,34006.0.html
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 01:23:16 PM by Tom Yost »

Tony Petersen

« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2008, 05:21:24 PM »
I think I am going to be in SLC for a trade conference that weekend, but I will let you know when I get a confirmation.

Yost, I will let you know when I know. If I am in town that weekend, I will definitely play with you guys! ;)

Tony P.

Tom Yost

Re: Vista Verde - Sunday May 4 - Room for more...
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008, 10:01:54 AM »
*BUMP*

I have five indicating interest, so there is still room if interested.

Tom Yost
Jason Topp
Ryan Farrow
Mike Lacey
Tom Renli

Jason Topp

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2008, 10:12:03 AM »

Vista Verde is open, however they are planning to close the course for the summer on May 11.

The tee sheet is open for the morning of May 4th.  When inquiring about rates, I mentioned out-of-town visitors but the lady I spoke to indicated she would give us the resident rate of $75 (I wouldn't chisel that in stone, I think the current rack rate is $135)

Being that I have been wanting to check out VV and this would seem to be my last opportunity for a while, I'm inclined to go for it despite Ryan's reservations regarding those wacky Ken Kavanaugh green complexes   ;) 

What are you thinking Jason?

Tom

Sorry - I have been out of town but I am definitely up for Vista Verde

Dan Kelly

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 12:37:38 PM »
FWIW:

My daughter's high-school team traveled to Scottsdale over "Spring Break" (midwinter here, alas), and played two rounds at Vista Verde and two rounds at Tonto Verde.

She really liked Vista Verde -- and much preferred it to Tonto Verde.

(I don't know why, exactly. We don't do much GCA at home. [Emoticon omitted.])

But she (about a 12 or 13 handicap) really did enjoy it -- and that's not always the case. She has expressed hatred for numerous golf courses.

I hadn't realized it was a Kavanaugh. I thought it was Coore & Crenshaw. (Additional emoticons omitted.)

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tony Petersen

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 12:07:24 AM »
Dan Kelly -

From one Minnesotan to another... :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(

;)

Tony Petersen

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2008, 12:09:57 AM »
Yost -

Hey, ends up that I don't have to go to Utah that weekend, so I would love to join you guys wherever you may roam. I will keep my eyes posted for updates...

P.S. Played VV last Sunday. Great Shape. Greens around a 10. Pretty much empty... Kicked my ass again ;)

Mark Smolens

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2008, 03:54:19 PM »
Got to play VV last Saturday, and agree wholeheartedly on the great conditioning, as well as its difficulty.  Shot 74 at Royal Dunes on Friday (they are apparently in big financial trouble, and holders of the Troon cards can now get on that formerly private course), and followed that with a smooth 86 at VV the next day. . . 

Tony Petersen

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2008, 12:58:40 AM »
Bump...

Playing VV tomorrow a.m. & Desert Mountain Outlaw in the p.m. Should make for a good warm up to the KP  ;)

** Update ** Tee times made at Vista Verde (Sun. May 4th) 8:30 and 8:40 **

I have six indicating interest, so there is still room if interested.

Tom Yost
Jason Topp
Ryan Farrow
Mike Lacey
Tom Renli
Tony Petersen

« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 01:18:28 AM by Tony Petersen »

Tom Yost

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2008, 08:00:51 PM »
Weekly bump...

We have room for two more if anyone is interested to join us.

Tom Yost

Re: LAST CALL: Vista Verde - Sunday May 4
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008, 04:53:07 PM »
Any lurkers or fence sitters - please PM or email me (tjy355 aht cox daht net) if interested in joining us Sunday May 4.  Tee times at 8:30 and 8:40.  Cost is $75.

LAST CHANCE FOR THE SUMMER - the course is closing May 11

We have 6, so there's still room for two more
 Tom Yost
 Jason Topp
 Mike Lacey
 Ryan Farrow
 Tony Peterson
 Tom Renli (possibly maybe)

Matt_Ward

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2008, 08:13:44 PM »
When all of the group finishes at Vista Verde I'd like to hear the comments on how each of you sees Vista Verde as an example of public golf course architecture.

Clearly, the lack of houses now still keeps the course in full desert mode without all the intrusiveness.

Thanks for responding after May 4 golf ...

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2008, 01:21:41 AM »
Oh no.......... not this again. I'm staying out of this one Matt, although I don't think you will mind. ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back