News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Designer or Architect
« on: March 11, 2008, 10:09:15 AM »
Interesting in the letter posted elsewhere that Tom Doak signed under the title "Principal Designer."  Does "designer"  carry a different connotation than "architect?"

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Designer or Architect
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 10:18:53 AM »
A 'Designer' is a slightly more limiting term than 'Architect'

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 10:21:24 AM »
It's really just semantics. 

Pete Dye always said that "architect" sounded like it might get him in more legal troubles, and I know that Jack Nicklaus asked us to use the label "designer" on our plans for Sebonack.  But "golf course architect" is not a licensed profession, so you can use either word you want.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 10:25:12 AM »
Thanks for weighing in Tom.  My question stems from the fact that architects are required to certify (as to quality and amount) pay applications submitted to my development clients as a condition to construction loan disbursements.  This suggests an on-going, post-design, responsibility - perhaps the one Mr. Dye was trying to avoid.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 10:27:35 AM »
Mike H:

Anytime there is a contractor involved, the golf course architect (or designer) is asked to certify pay applications, too.  We get around this sometimes but only because we don't have a golf course contractor involved, not because of how we label ourselves.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back