News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ash Towe

Help with Irish Trip
« on: March 09, 2008, 02:15:04 PM »
I am contemplating a trip to Ireland in 2009.

Due to work commitments I could arrive on 5 July or 27 September.  What would be the positives and negatives for the two dates.  I would be in Ireland for two weeks.

Secondly have people got recommendatios for accomodation near the following courses:

Portmarnock
Royal County Down
Royal Portrush
Ballubunion
Lahinch
Waterville

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas.

Joshua Pettit

Re: Help with Irish Trip
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 02:23:00 PM »
Ash,

I am going to Ireland at the end of March for 2 weeks.  I don't have all my accommodations worked out yet,  I'm going to play it by ear, but after my trip I'll be happy to provide you with some recommendations. 
"The greatest and fairest of things are done by nature, and the lesser by art."

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 02:24:13 PM »
Ash

Don't forget to try Rosapenna (www.rosapenna.ie/),
its worth the trip just for the scenery alone.

michael j fay

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 02:40:08 PM »
Go in September and you will not have to deal with the crush of tourists.

Where you go will depend upon how long you have to be there. If a week I would suggest one of three:

1.) Southwest- Ballybunion, Lahinch and Waterville flying in and out of Shannon. There are a couple of others in the vicinity but Ballybunion and Lahinch deserve at least two plays a piece.

2.) Fly in and out of Dublin- play the European Club, Portmonark, maybe the Island Club, Baltrae, Portrush and County Down.

3.) Fly into Shannon- drive north to Carne, Enniscrone, Sligo, maybe Rosapenna then cross to the north and play Portrush and County Down. If you have time play Baltrae on the way to the Dublin airport.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 04:39:58 PM »
One hint - it takes a LOT longer to drive 100 miles in Ireland than it does in the USA.  Plan accordingly, drive safely, and enjoy the trip!

Also keep in mind that sunset in early July is almost 10PM. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 04:42:08 PM by Dan Herrmann »

J_ Crisham

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 05:51:52 PM »
July will afford you more daylight and more golf in a day but alot more tourists. RCD stay at the Slieve Donard Hotel next door to the course. The Portmarnock Hotel is very nice and there are some nice restaurants in Malahide. The Killeen house outside of Killarney is a top notch mini hotel that has great food-central place to drive to Dooks,Ballybunion,Waterville. I've been to Ireland in each of the Summer months and Sept is much easier to access tee times at the prime courses. As an aside, I have played 25 different courses here and the one I would most like to play again is Carne. Not the greatest course but just a sporty rollicking layout.

Andrew Bertram

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 05:59:01 PM »
Ash

I would suggest starting in Dublin.

The Grand Hotel Malahide (10 minutes from Portmarnock)

Play Portmarnock and The Island
European Club is a good track but miles from anywhere and depending on time may not be worth it.

Drive to Newcastle, RCD, and play County Louth on the way

Stay at the Slieve Donard, 2 minute stroll to the 1st tee at RCD.
2 rounds are a must at RCD.

Drive north to Portrush, The Adelphi is good and the Ramada is fine.

Play Portrush and Portstewart.

depending on time it is a 6 hour drive from Portrush to Lahinch. Driving allows you to take in some of the North West courses.

To fly to Shannon you need to fly to Dublin from Derry and then across so it will take somewhat the same time frame.

The Clare Hotel in Lahinch is a good stop over for Lahinch.

On the way to ballybunion play Doonbeg.
get the tarbet killimer car ferry.

Stay in Ballybunion. definitely play twice on the old. If you want to play the Cashenplay it after the Old and don't keep score just have fun.

You can either then head to waterville and stay down there or base in killarney.

After waterville head for Shannon to head home.

Hope this helps.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 06:01:05 PM »
I am contemplating a trip to Ireland in 2009.

Due to work commitments I could arrive on 5 July or 27 September.  What would be the positives and negatives for the two dates.  I would be in Ireland for two weeks.

Secondly have people got recommendatios for accomodation near the following courses:

Portmarnock
Royal County Down
Royal Portrush
Ballubunion
Lahinch
Waterville

Royal County Down - The Slieve Donard Hotel - Walk to the course
Portmarnock - The Portmarnock Hotel

Also when at Royal County Down consider playing Ardglas.  It is just north of Royal County Down and is a great take.

Best
Dave

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 06:05:53 PM »
Finegan’s books are good on where to stay for luxury –‘Where Golf is Great’ is current. The official government guide to B&B’s suits my budget better.

http://www.accommodation.ie/

I’m still looking for a base to cover Portsalon and Rosapena from, so would welcome recommendations.

A guide I’ve used in the past for directions and more importantly times it takes is

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/routes/

Enjoy your trip but be sure you want to send a lot of time behind a windscreen.  Are you after a holiday or a course reviewing trip?
Let's make GCA grate again!

Ash Towe

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 06:21:14 PM »
Tony,
Definetely not in the luxury bracket.  Have you seen the value of the $NZ?

I will be on holiday but on my own, so I have the freedom.   Also got 2 weeks there.

Thanks for your time and ideas.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 07:45:39 PM »

Portmarnock
Royal County Down
Royal Portrush
Ballubunion
Lahinch
Waterville

Ash

Sep - as stated earlier a bit quieter - outside summer school holidays I believe.

Portmarnock - I stayed in a B&B in Malahide just outside Dublin and about a 10min drive to the course. You could also stay next door at The Portmarnock Links ?

RCD - Slieve Donald hotel next course.

Portrush  - not sure (cant help you there)

Ballybunion / Lahinch - I based myself in Shannon and drove out to the courses from there

Waterville - I based myself in Killarney - it's only a short drive from there.

michael j fay

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2008, 07:50:23 PM »
B&Bs abound. Price is good, breakfast is good and if you are playing and driving more than likely you can sleep on the hood of the car.

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2008, 07:51:56 PM »
2 words.

Play Portsalon.

enchanting
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 08:09:51 PM »
I too would recommend staying in Malahide rather Dublin unless you are looking to go on the lash.  Sometimes good deals can be had for the Portmarnock Links Hotel (including golf) which can be very handy if you are in town on a weekend.  Personally, I think the hotel course is in roughly the same class as TEC and you don't have to drive to the other side of Dublin. 

I would certainly play The Island and Portmarnock and maybe even Royal Dublin if your budget allows the Dublin excess.

Co Louth may be worth a stop if you are heading north - they also have a dormy house which is adequate.

If you are going to play Portrush play the Valley and Portstewart.  The Bushmills Inn is good, but pricey.

If you are heading from the north to the Sligo area try and play Cruit Island.  A little 9 holer which may be worth a few laughs.  In Sligo there is what was called the Tower Hotel which was decent.  I think there is a new name for it. 

If you do decide to make it toward Carne/Enniscrone the Western Strands is a decent place to stay in the centre of Belmullet - I think this the only option as the new hotel is out of town a bit.  Enniscrone has a good upscale hotel and a very good b&b - Ceol-na-Mara  though the town isn't up to much.

Just outside of Lahinch is a solid b&b called Le Bord de Mer.  The Greenbrier Inn is ok as well.  I would recommend not staying in Ballybunion if it can be avoided - its a dreary town. 

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 08:38:19 PM »
Maybe someone can answer this better, but wouldn't his chances of better weather be in July?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

jeffwarne

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 08:45:47 PM »
Cary,
You're right. The "chances for better weather " will improve in July.
But it will rain anyway :o :o :o
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Patrick Glynn

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2008, 09:19:10 PM »
I actually think September is the best month to play golf in Ireland. Call it Global Warming, Indian Summers, I dont really know. But in recent years, June & July has been VERY wet & we have had comparatively mild, dry & sunny Septembers. This data is taken from www.met.ie at Shannon Airport.
             Jan      Feb     Mar     April     May     June    July     Aug      Sept     Nov     Dec
2007    93.5    71.4    62.9    11.2    66.3    103.6    96.9   100.6   51.6    44.3    52.9   
mean   97.8   71.5   71.4     55.7     59.5     62.8     56.8     82.4      81.6    93.4     94.8

Basically the wettest July in over 100 years of recorded data.... Though with weather in Ireland the old adage "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst" holds true.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 09:20:43 PM by Patrick Glynn »

Scott Whitley

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2008, 09:38:33 PM »
Ash:

1.  I would actually favour the September date, which might be a bit counter-intuitive.  The weather is unpredictable at any time, and perhaps even a bit drier in September as has been pointed out above.  The main advantage to late September would be that the late September/first ten days of October should see a reduction in crowds.

2.  Re accomodation.  I believe you have said you are on a budget.  In that case, for Portmarnock, I would go with a B&B in Dublin, or perhaps in Howth depending on whether it is important to you to be close to the nightlife, apres golf. There are lots to choose from, but try for instance Howth View in Portmarnock.  If you prefer Dublin there is a wealth of choice and the only real parameter is to be sure to stay on the north side of the city (for Portmarnock at least). 

For RCD, we have always enjoyed The Briers Guesthouse.  Portrush/Portballintrae has multiple options, and again, if on a budget I would simply book into a B&B.  By early October the crowds will likely be subsiding and you should have several options.  Lahinch also has loads of (relatively) inexpensive guesthouses, such as the Greenbrier Inn.  Ballybunion has perhaps fewer per number of visitors; for budget options we have liked Teach de Broc or The Tides.  Finally, in Waterville the Butler Arms Hotel is a great splurge if you can afford it; if not there are a few B&Bs very close to the links.  Be sure to go to the bar at the Bulter Arms in any event to visit the place of Payne Stewart's exploits on the piano and behind the bar shortly before his untimely passing.

I hope that helps.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2008, 11:00:37 PM »
Ash

Your course list is schizo heading in opposite directions. If u dicide u can't passup Royal County Down and u head north, which is all i have ever done, than you must go on to Portrush and Portstewart. Malahide is the place to stay as it is three blocks form the train into Dublin. Belfast has many hotels and RCD is only about a 30+ minute drive; The Slieve is very pricey now. In Portrush Hillrise B&B is very nicely situated and run by a lovely lady and golfer name of Dianne. Ballyliffin is close enought to Derry if u want to sample Donegal golf and Ballyliffin old is great. 
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Sean Walsh

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2008, 11:42:51 PM »
I d add County Louth, The Island, Enniscrone and Carne before playing Waterville.

Waterville is a nice course just not really worth the extra travel purely for the golf.  If it is for the scenery as well then that is your decision to make.  On that point I found the scenery of the Donegal Coast much better than the Ring of Kerry.

A two week itinerary for me would run something like

Portmarnock
The Island
County Louth
RCD
Possibly a day off to drive thru the Mourne Mtns and check out Belfast. 
Portrush
Ballyliffin or Rosapenna
Day of driving (check out Derry if you want a little modern history)
Enniscrone
Carne
Lahinch
Ballybunion Old and Cashen
Back to Dublin

Of any of these the leg to drop could be Carne as it does add a bit to the drive.  Also Check out Galway on the way thru it is a very nice town.

P.S Does anyone else have the problem of the apostrophe key taking to some kind of search function?  Also the arrow keys do not work.  Very annoying. 

Ash Towe

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 12:51:26 AM »
Thanks for the help so far.  Great to hear everbody's opinions.

Ward, No itenary worked out yet, just some of the courses I would like to play.

Patrick, Thanks for the stats.

Sean Leary

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2008, 12:56:57 AM »
I d add County Louth, The Island, Enniscrone and Carne before playing Waterville.

Waterville is a nice course just not really worth the extra travel purely for the golf.  If it is for the scenery as well then that is your decision to make.  On that point I found the scenery of the Donegal Coast much better than the Ring of Kerry.

A two week itinerary for me would run something like

Portmarnock
The Island
County Louth
RCD
Possibly a day off to drive thru the Mourne Mtns and check out Belfast. 
Portrush
Ballyliffin or Rosapenna
Day of driving (check out Derry if you want a little modern history)
Enniscrone
Carne
Lahinch
Ballybunion Old and Cashen
Back to Dublin

Of any of these the leg to drop could be Carne as it does add a bit to the drive.  Also Check out Galway on the way thru it is a very nice town.

P.S Does anyone else have the problem of the apostrophe key taking to some kind of search function?  Also the arrow keys do not work.  Very annoying. 

I basically almost did this exact trip this summer.  My thoughts. If it is a one in a lifetime trip, then I would recommend it. If you plan on going a few more times, I would concentate on 3-4 courses and play them numerous times...

John Mayhugh

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2008, 08:30:44 AM »
All these posts and no one has mentioned the K Club?

Don't worry, I'm joking. 

In a one week trip, we played:
Portmarnock Links
Portmarnock Old
County Louth
Royal County Down
The Island
The K Club

This was a pretty large group trip and we stayed at The K Club & Portmarnock Links hotel.  Both were nice places, but way too much money on accomodations, at least for me.  Of the courses listed above, skip the K Club.  The Langer Portmarnock Links course is OK, but I would play another round at Co Louth, the Island, Portmarnock Old, or RCD first. 

We made a day trip up to RCD.  I would think if you split the trip into two parts, staying a few days in Malahide and a few near RCD you could sample a lot of courses w/o traveling too much.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 08:46:00 AM »
How's the European Club?

Mark Smolens

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 12:24:43 PM »
When you go north to Portrush, try to fit a round in at Castlerock -- great views from the higher holes and much fun.  Another short gem east (I think) of Portrush is Ballycastle.  Rollicking track up and down right on the coast.  There's a great hotel on the hill above Portrush, but I cannot remember the name.

If you don't want to do the driving yourself, get ahold of Jimmy O'Leary, a tour guide extraordinaire.  joltours@tinet.ie   Jimmy knows every course operator, hotelier, and restauranteur in the country.  There's not much better than climbing aboard a tour bus and being driven to your next round, meal, or stopover. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back