News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JSlonis

Re: Update & THANKS GCA - Philly Cricket Tree Removal
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2008, 03:26:51 PM »
Original Bunkering - Holes 7, 4 & 5 (1938)

:o :o :o

I can't believe that is the same course that we currently play.  The width of the fairways on those par 5's appear to be nearly double of what they are now and the cross bunkers and lack of the "forest" surrounding those holes now are incredible.

Those cross bunkers on #4 remind me a lot of a similar hole design that Tillinghast used at Ridgewood CC.

Good luck on your project.  If accomplished, this will be an outstanding example of how a proper restoration can benefit a club.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 03:33:17 PM by JSlonis »

Gib Carpenter

« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2008, 04:16:57 PM »

"Dear, why do you have mashed potatoes in your ears and peas in your nose?"

"Oh, honey, it's a long story but please don't mention trees to me anytime soon, OK?"

Hey Tom...

Now you're talking my language! Probably answers your question re: why I'm not on the Committee as well!

I'd love to get together with you and Wayne again sometime soon...perhaps we could walk around & take a look at the work that is being done done this winter and then play a few holes over at Militia Hill?

-Gib
GCA/AOK

wsmorrison

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2008, 04:25:45 PM »
Gib,

I'm happy to get together with you again and welcome the chance to walk around the course with you and other members.  Let me know a couple of dates that work.  Good luck getting Tommy to play golf, even a few holes  ;)

Gib Carpenter

« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2008, 04:27:30 PM »

:o :o :o

I can't believe that is the same course that we currently play.  The width of the fairways on those par 5's appear to be nearly double of what they are now and the cross bunkers and lack of the "forest" surrounding those holes now are incredible.

Hey Jamie...

I agree, those holes are prime examples for the whole "great shrinking fairway" discussion. What amazed me most I think was when I realized  that the big fairway bunker on the right side of #7 (from about 70-90 yds, the one that now has a huge tree growing out of it) wasn't originally on the right side of the fairway at all but in the MIDDLE of the fairway! If you look at the 1937 & 1938 aerials at the top of this thread you can clearly see fairway all the way around & to the right of the "church pew" bunker...how cool is that? So many more options to play the hole. Now its driver, 7-iron, wedge unless you want to try to cut a 3-wood around the tree...

-Gib

« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 10:48:48 AM by Gib Carpenter »
GCA/AOK

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2008, 04:32:26 PM »

It would seem that some bunkers were already tucked behind trees at this early stage of development.

Is the tree growth displayed in the 2007 aerial a very common problem with courses?  I don't know much about the situation other than what folks on this site say. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Gib Carpenter

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2008, 10:40:38 AM »

It would seem that some bunkers were already tucked behind trees at this early stage of development.

I Agree absolutely...Again, I can't believe either Tillinghast 1922) or Flynn (1928) would have put them there...I think these old photos (when compared to 2007) really serve to point out the care and foresight which need to go into tree planting...unfortunately, things tend to work the other way around: trees are put in without planning, discussion and foresight and it takes an act of congress to take them out!

-Gib
GCA/AOK

Gib Carpenter

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2008, 10:45:17 AM »
Look at that little tree ahead and to the right of the 10th tee...I wonder if that is the monster that virtually forces a slice off of the parking lot today (or at least a few years ago when I was last there)

You are absolutely correct...in their 2000 report the USGA Turf Advisory Committee referred to the 10th hole as a

"classic dog-leg par 3"  ???

unfortunately the subtle irony failed to register...
GCA/AOK

Sean_A

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2008, 10:52:10 AM »

I Agree absolutely...Again, I can't believe either Tillinghast 1922) or Flynn (1928) would have put them there...I think these old photos (when compared to 2007) really serve to point out the care and foresight which need to go into tree planting...unfortunately, things tend to work the other way around: trees are put in without planning, discussion and foresight and it takes an act of congress to take them out!

-Gib

Gib

The other thing which is quite telling, or not, is that the wing bunkers look to be in the rough.  I obviously can't tell, but was the course built this way originally or did the fairways come in with trees?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

D_Malley

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2008, 10:57:59 AM »
PCC certainly has an unique and historical love for trees.  They even had a huge tree growing inside their clubhouse for many years.  it went straight up through the roof.  does anyone have any pictures of that tree?

Gib Carpenter

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2008, 11:06:05 AM »
PCC certainly has an unique and historical love for trees.  They even had a huge tree growing inside their clubhouse for many years.  it went straight up through the roof.  does anyone have any pictures of that tree?

Again, you are absolutely corect! I will see if I can dig up a pic of that one...I haven't thought about it in a while, but it was absolutely incredible - I believe it was an ancient oak and it must have been 5-6 ft in diameter and growing staight up through the roof of the covered portion of the dining terrace...they finally had to take it down b/c it threatened to fall over & take out the whole clubhouse! 
GCA/AOK

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2008, 11:23:09 AM »
What a fascinating pictorial.  There are fewer trees in the 1938 photo. than in 1937.  I am sure that most of the members would not have guessed that lack of trees back then.  I played Flourtown and your new course a few years ago and would never have thought that originally there were so few trees.  I personally don't dislike trees as much as many on this site, but it was clear when I played that too many trees encroached on the course.  I would think that Oakmont is a good example for many clubs.  Good work.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2008, 02:05:44 PM »
Gib -

Phila. Cricket is a great golf course, so good luck in your quest to bring back as much of the luster you can!

Gib Carpenter

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2008, 04:23:24 PM »
Tommy, Wayne...

Thanks for the encouragement & support!

-Gib
GCA/AOK

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back