News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Tufts

Headed down April for Red Sox-D-bags and a couple rounds.  Anything interesting/important to know about Ross's Belleview Biltmore in or the U. of South Florida's "The Claw"?
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Kyle Harris

I live right next to The Claw - low budget in poor to moderate conditioning. Popular with the cart and beer crowd and a VERY tight course. The design isn't terrible but it's probably 10th on my list of publics in the area.

If you want some Ross, check out Dunedin just north of Clearwater.

ClarkW

I played the Belleview Biltmore course probably 4 years ago after its renovation. (Note: the course is located off site of the hotel.) I came away disappointed. I guess I was expecting more based on the write-ups regarding the recent renovation. In fact, it was so uninspiring that I remember very little specifically about the course. Only played the front nine but found it short and very cramped. The range was also in poor shape. Seemed rather expensive at the time (but that might have been because I wasn't a hotel guest). I also remember the Donald Ross Society had a winter outing there within the past 2-3 years so perhaps I missed some of the positives. I need to give it a second try myself out of fairness when in the area again but wouldn't recommend it to others based on my initial visit.

On the same trip (stayed in Largo... minutes from Belleview), I made the short drive up to Dunedin and played Dunedin CC. What a pleasant surprise! Interesting terrain for Florida, some elevated greens, lots of deep bunkers (although the sand seemed very fine if not dirt like). I referred to it then as a Hidden Gem then I found out it had earlier been the (winter?) home to the PGA for decades. Highly recommended!

Andy Troeger

I played Belleview Biltmore before the renovation and had much the same impression as Clark did afterwards. I can't imagine being able to do a whole lot to the course to make it anything too special. I couldn't tell you about any feature of any hole other than that it seemed to have a fair amount of bunkers. I would have to think you could do better in the area.

John_Cullum

Keep in mind that the USF Course is about an hour drive from Belleview Biltmore. And don't stay at the hotel. It is a dump
"We finally beat Medicare. "

michael_j_fay

When Bradley Klein and Chip Powell redid the Belleview Biltmore they had vey little to work with. Belleview Biltmore, AKA The Belleview Mido, AKA THe Pelican had suffered from years of lack of attention which literally brought the bunkering system and the greens to thei knees. I do not think that Klein and Powell were really attempting to restore te course but rather to spruce it up and make it attractive to the guests. I played in the Ross Outing 2004 or 5 and was actually pleased that the course had been so greatly improved. Dunedin was the other course for that uting and it was much more Ross in stye and appearance. Dunedin is a good test of golf and a very nice walk in the park.

BCrosby

I played the old Biltmore course two years back to back ('68, '69)  in a college tournament. My memory is that it wasn't much of a course. I recall a playoff one year between Steve Melnyk and Lanny Watkins. A bushy haired Tom Watson was on the Stanford team.

Bob

Pete Lavallee

When I lived in Clearwater in 1979 there where 3 courses; the East and West were on the grounds of the Hotel and the Pelican Course was south of the Hotel by maybe half a mile. The Pelican Course had nothing good or memorable about it There were three holes I can remeber from the East/West combo: a reallly cool 400 yard par 4 by the road which had a large swale just before the green. There was also a reachable par 5 that played south with the Intercoastal Waterway on the right. There was also a downhill par 3 that had the Intercoastal in back of the green.

Has one of the courses gone under and another gone private?
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Tom Roewer

Pete:  The Bellair Country Club (private) consists of the two North / South on the west side of FT. Harrison St   The Bellview AKA Pelican, AKA Bellview Mido is used by hotel guests and public play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back