News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Sean_Tully

Need some help from some locals!

Doing some research and looking at the best way from Hamilton to Rye. Trying to figure out what would have been the most common way to make this trip in the 1920's. Just trying to connect some dots.

Thanks,

Tully
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008, 03:00:43 AM by Sean_Tully »

Ian Andrew

Re:Directions for Road Trip-Hamilton, Ontario to Rye, New York
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 11:45:53 AM »
Train

I have a few references to Stanley Thompson's travels by train even after flying became possible at the end of his career. In 1946 he flew to South America and still took the train to Winnipeg.

Trying to link an Alison trip together?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 11:47:28 AM by Ian Andrew »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 12:58:13 PM »
Probably thru Buffalo onto Albany and south to Rye.  NY Central all the way

Jason McNamara

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 03:41:15 PM »
Dan -

I don't think Albany is as likely.  There would have been far more options at that time, including a more direct south-south-easterly diagonal through Binghamton down towards Nyack.

See for example:  http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/map/erie-1914.gif

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 04:44:56 PM »
From Binghamton along what's now NY17/I-86?

Neil Regan

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 06:57:39 PM »
This might help you. It's for sale on eBay until Wednesday. It's not rare; I'd guess it will sell for $10 to $30.
It also shows golf courses.

1929 Automobile Green Book Travel Guide Maps Item number: 270201559218

1929 Automobile Green Book All In One Guide
Automobile Green Book, Roaf Reference and Tourists' Guide of All States East of Mississippi River, Eastern Ontario, Quebec & Maritime Provinces
Scarborough Motor Guide Company. Boston, MA 1929
Includes 96 pages of Detail Maps, 100 City Traffic Maps, 2 Large Key Maps and Mileage Charts. Also includes Golf Club Directory and Ferry Schedules
932pp VG Condition Clean & Tight w/Minor Wear To Covers As Pictured

Grass speed  <>  Green Speed

Jason McNamara

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 11:21:21 PM »
From Binghamton along what's now NY17/I-86?

Dan -

In a couple spots, yes, but mostly south of there.  Looks like it's Binghamton to Susquehanna, PA, then along the Delaware R. to Port Jervis (home of a Tilly re-design), over to Middletown (Orange County golf).  From there, it's something like US-6 to I-87 southbound through Suffern to Nyack/Sparkill.

This is a later map (1940's), but should give a good idea:
http://www.erielackhs.org/Erie/ErieLargeMap.html

Sean_Tully

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 02:57:57 AM »
Sorry for the delay getting back to this thread.

Ian:
Trying to link an Alison trip together?

No, it would actually be a trip by Mackenzie in 1928!

The reason I mention road trip is that the beginning of the trip was some short runs from:
Quebec to Montreal
Montreal to Ottawa
Ottawa to Toronto(a longer drive)
Toronto to Hamilton
Hamilton to Rye, NY(most likely by train as it was a larger group).
So I initially guessed that they may have gone by car for most of the trip and may have taken a train based off of what Jason M. posted on the Erie Railroad System map.

Here is a link to my Google map that shows the locations that I have already with the time frame and it shows the sheer madness of it all if it played out the way it appears to.

1928Map

What I am trying to figure out is how and when did Mackenzie get up to St. Charles and Jasper?

In an article they list the towns theBritish Senior Golfers plan to visit in this order:
Quebec-Aug 26th 1928
Montreal- Aug 28th
Ottawa-?
Toronto-?
Hamilton-?
NYC area. Sept 11-14
Basing my info from the photo of Mackenzie at St. Charles in 1928 with the British Senior Golfers they made it all the way to Winnipeg. Then there is a mention in the March 1931 American Golfer "In September 1928, over the Jasper Park, Alberta, golf course I played a round with Dr. Alister Mackenzie....."

It is amazing to think that they could have covered so much ground in such little time, and still manage to play golf. But from the little bit of info I have been able to work with, it may be the case. I should be getting more info from Tyler Kearns that will hopefully tighten this up and make more sense of it all.

They may have also continued westward after the tournament in NY with the Canadian team as the article does not mention the two other courses.

Tully

John Foley

Sean,

I read somewhere (and not sure when) that Mackenzie looked at a course near Lake Placid in the Adirondack's.

I don't have Tom D's book to check, but I think he shot that down in a post at one time here.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 11:58:08 AM »
Dan -

I don't think Albany is as likely.  There would have been far more options at that time, including a more direct south-south-easterly diagonal through Binghamton down towards Nyack.

See for example:  http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/el/map/erie-1914.gif

While the NYC was a longer route (all the way to Chicago) it was very competitive with other railroads that went over the mountains, by virtue of being a "Water Level" route along the Hudson and the Great Lakes.

The NYC and Pennsy were the premier railroads offering the best schedules and accomodations. The Erie put up a good fight, but just because the route is shorter, those other factors make the NYC, IMHO, a better option for well heeled golfers.  And, I think they controlled a line north of the border along the route shown.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

John Foley

Sean,

Tom Doak's book lists the Adirondacks Club - Lake Placid - 1930 as an NLE.

Was it even built?

I would think if he was in Montreal & Ottawa in '28, getting to Lake Placid would have been relatively easy.

Getting there by way of Hamilton to Rye would have been a big detour.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Jason McNamara

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 07:59:35 PM »
The NYC and Pennsy were the premier railroads offering the best schedules and accomodations. The Erie put up a good fight, but just because the route is shorter, those other factors make the NYC, IMHO, a better option for well heeled golfers.  And, I think they controlled a line north of the border along the route shown.

Now that Sean has finally let the cat out of the bag as to his purpose, you might be right.  Though didn't most of the Chicago traffic run further south, i.e. thru Philly and Pittsburgh?  (Btw, I couldn't find any service to/from BFLO on the PRR.)

Anyway, if you think the swells were more likely to go through Albany, I can go along with that.  (Sorry about that, Dan.)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back