News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Ran Morrissett

Kennemer profile is posted...
« on: January 05, 2008, 01:57:42 PM »
...under Courses by Country and Architecture Timeline.

Architecture fans don’t have much reason to watch golf on television. If on the very rare occasion that the professionals go to a great course like this week at the Plantation Course, they complain. Their comments this year that the course is too easy are particularly infuriating  >:( as, over the years, they

1) Have made the Club slow down the areas in front of such greens as the eighteenth,

2) Had C&C ‘clean-up’ the bunkers, thus making the hazards less hazardous,  :-\

3) Continue to treat the 'jungle' left and right of holes as lateral hazards as opposed to treating balls that go in there what they are: lost, with stroke and distance in effect.

Why even watch professional golf in general - perhaps to learn etiquette from Roy Sabbatini?  :P

One of the few bright spots in television viewing this past year was when the Dutch Open was carried by The Golf Channel and folks State-side got to see/appreciate Kennemer.

One point that sets apart Kennemer is the impact World War II had on the grounds.  In the United Kingdom, the Second World War’s effect on golf was mainly a restorative affair - removing barbed wire and pillboxes, re-building greens.  When the Germans blitzed through Holland, they decided to build a bulwark of bunkers (of the concrete variety) on the linksland owned by Kennemer. Once the ravages of war ended, the 120 (!) embankments here were grassed over and became part of the golf terrain.  Truly, the course is a museum piece. Fortunately, the Club's archival treasure of Colt's notes and golf drawings allowed a restoration that continues today by Frank Pont. (On a side note, as found and presented by Tom MacWood, The National Golf Review ranked Kennemer ninety-fifth in the world in 1939 as seen here http://www.golfclubatlas.com/opinionmacwood6.html . This poll was done around the time when Germany invaded Poland and several months before they got to Holland).

As Philip G. waged his own match play battle on the Colt eighteen, the infamous Rick Holland and I slipped off to see Pennink’s third nine. Though traditionalists sniff, we were rightly impressed by how the holes were laid over the inspired tumbling landscape. Indeed, they fit the ground so well, we were not surprised to learn that Colt had in fact routed these holes some fifty years prior to their actually being built. Many of the leading clubs in Europe (Royal Zoute, Saint-Germain, Morfontaine, etc.)  have more than eighteen holes. The third nine at Morfontaine is particularly noteworthy but there is an expansiveness found on Kennemer’s third nine that most other additional nines simply don’t enjoy. The Dutch Open utilizes the Pennink holes as their front nine and then goes to a mix from the two Colt nines. The end result, as many of us saw on television during the Dutch Open, is one of the few compelling courses that the professionals play in world golf.

When you go, don’t despair approaching the Club as driving through the seaside town of Zandvoort does not inspire confidence that a classic golf course beckons.  After all, this is the Low Country. When we stopped for gas, we thought we were well away from the Club as everything was FLAT. Instead, we were within one kilometer but our hopes quickly climbed once the traditional Dutch clubhouse came into view. All twenty-seven holes are a delight, and mercifully, the professional golfers haven’t ruined one of Europe’s hallmark courses.

For those who have played it or seen it on television, how do you think Kennemer holds up versus Colt’s best work in the United Kingdom? Some may feel that Tom Doak was a bit parsimonious with his 1985 grade but, then again, a lot of good work has occurred here in the past twenty-two years since Tom’s visit.

Cheers,

Philip Gawith

Re:Kennemer profile is posted...
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 03:11:45 PM »
A Doak 6 feels a bit stingy to me based on the 18 I saw - and judging by your thoughts on the 3rd nine Ran, that actually raises the average. I think it is true that the middle holes on the first nine are not too memorable - but there are quite a few stand-out holes like 9 and 10, and I thought the closing holes from about 14 were strong, with the par 3 15th obviously a stand-out.

It lacks the spectacular terrain and holes that Royal Hague enjoys, and is not as scenic as Noordwijk - but a very fine set up and club by any normal standards!

Compared to UK, the three Colt courses I know best are Muirfield and Sunningdale (New), followed by Portrush which is pretty exalted company! It certainly is not in the same class as its links cousins, and I think it lags Sunningdale (New) a bit - but maybe the tournament course which includes the third nine would be comparable/better?

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 03:12:42 PM »
I watched the Dutch Open and thought the course was cool.

When someone tells me a course is too easy i say "I take it you shot 18 then?". I'd love to be a scribe on Tour but I feel most of the players would fail to talk to me ;)

Philip Gawith

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 04:14:13 PM »
The profile is a great read Ran....I would love to go back there, to see the A nine and revisit the others.

Josh Smith

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 06:22:08 PM »
Ran,

Thank you for the Photography and the Write up.  Beautiful stuff.  The clubhouse is very photogenic as is the club historian on the "niblick out" photo.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 06:46:22 PM »
It's remarkable that Kennemer even survived the war and whoever was responsible showed great dedication in reviving the course.  

But I think the war basically put paid to the big sand faced bunkers-many of which had weird and wonderful shapes.  Lets hope Frank can get these back and the pros don't whine too much!   (The greens were a good deal larger and less circular too)

The course does get out of the dunes for a few holes  but I think Colt did a good job in keeping the tactical interest by designing greens where the pin can be tucked with the best option being a runner.

Fall away left to right at the 5th green.

Again a tucked pin.  The swinging runner should be the option but there's too much rough on the surrounds.

I think the course stands comparison with say Saunton East, Formby, ...

And where does Kennemer rank in Colt's career?  I think perhaps just outside top 10; but he built a lot of excellent courses.  

« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 07:52:11 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 08:54:48 PM »
Two years ago I had a nine hour lay over at Shiphol airport in Amsterdam on the way to London.  I thought about sightseeing. Something, I rarely do anymore.  But alas, Mark Rowlinson told me to get on a train and head out to Kennemer.  I take the train to Zandvort. Take a Cab to the club, play 18, take a cab back to the train.  Take the wrong one and get to plane ten minutes before takeoff.

The course was a huge surprise.  I knew there were links courses in the Netherlands, but I did not expect this quality.  The land is heaving,rolling, and undulating.  The course weaves it way through the dunes. The par threes are especially interesting.  I would like to play some of the other courses in the area and maybe even take a three day lay over.  I suspect it would be worth it.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back