News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

$2,004 - how to spend it.
« on: January 02, 2008, 12:04:50 PM »
I have precisely $2,004 in a US bank account. The money is not going to be used as I had originally intended, so I hope to spend it all some time in 2008 to pay for a few green fees and hotel rooms in the US, either for my 22-year-old son and me, or perhaps just me. This doesn't include air fares to the States, car hire or food. What is my best way of spending that money?

I've played a few Eastern seaboard courses and a few in CA. I'm happy to see new places or revisit old haunts. All I hope is that I meet up with a load of GCAers and play some courses the like of which I can't play in the UK.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Jed Peters

Re:$2,004 - how to spend it.
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 12:07:09 PM »
How about a trip to Northern California?

With the access help of a couple members here, you could play some of the greats in norcal....They're all located very close together.

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 12:07:58 PM »
Come back out to California, Mark! I'd love to meet and play with you and your son!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

wsmorrison

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 12:08:43 PM »
Mark,

Too bad you didn't convert to Pounds a few years ago  ;)

As you know, you are always welcome back to Philadelphia.  There's some courses you have yet to see and I'm sure one or two you want to revisit.  If not this year, then sometime in the not too distant future, I hope.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 12:14:39 PM »
What time of the year?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 12:27:13 PM »
Mark:

I think the answer depends on how long you be away from home, so we can tell if you want to spend the money fast, or slowly.

The guest fee at Crystal Downs is still $80 -- a pretty good deal, although we don't have quite the same concentration of worthy courses here as some other places in the USA.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 12:36:17 PM »
Mark:

I think the answer depends on how long you be away from home, so we can tell if you want to spend the money fast, or slowly.

The guest fee at Crystal Downs is still $80 -- a pretty good deal, although we don't have quite the same concentration of worthy courses here as some other places in the USA.

I'm pretty sure I'd fly to Michigan (from Ca) to play Crystal Downs even if it was the only course in the state, assuming plane fares don't triple this year.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 12:47:27 PM »
The Traverse City area isn't a bad suggestion at all.  Crystal Downs, Kingsley Club (with nice cottages to stay in), Arcadian Bluffs (even with its routing faults), Forest Dunes, plus some we didn't play last summer, it's a super destination.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 12:47:50 PM by Bill_McBride »

John Pflum

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 12:50:24 PM »
Mark:

That area of Michigan is among my favorite places on earth.  There is excellent fishing -- fly fishing in the shallow rivers and boat fishing in Lake Michigan.  Lakes for swimming and boating.  Small towns for shopping and dining.  I love that area.  I great place to take a holiday, IMO.  
--
jvdp

Bart Bradley

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 12:52:07 PM »
No offense to you CA types, but your golf is way expensive...You can do so much more for your money in the Midwest or Southeast.  The time of year will dictate, however, whether or not MI is a choice.

Bart

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 12:55:11 PM »
The Traverse City area isn't a bad suggestion at all.  Crystal Downs, Kingsley Club (with nice cottages to stay in), Arcadian Bluffs (even with its routing faults), Forest Dunes, plus some we didn't play last summer, it's a super destination.

... If you have access.

I'm sure $2,004 could go far on Long Island as well if you've made friends in the region.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Mike Policano

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 01:22:46 PM »
Mark,

Happy New Year!

I would recommend 3 options for your $2004 in no particular order.

Metro-NY Long Island which you have already visited.

Greater Philly which you have also already visited.

Greater Sand Hills including Wildhorse, Dismal River, Ballyneal and perhaps a couple of others which I suspect you haven't been to yet.

Let me know when you are cruising over and we will play somewhere.

Cheers

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 01:45:28 PM »
I have precisely $2,004 in a US bank account. The money is not going to be used as I had originally intended, so I hope to spend it all some time in 2008 to pay for a few green fees and hotel rooms in the US, either for my 22-year-old son and me, or perhaps just me. This doesn't include air fares to the States, car hire or food. What is my best way of spending that money?

I've played a few Eastern seaboard courses and a few in CA. I'm happy to see new places or revisit old haunts. All I hope is that I meet up with a load of GCAers and play some courses the like of which I can't play in the UK.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Can I write you a $4 check? $2008 is a more appropriate balance for the year. Or perhaps you should wait for $4.00 in interest to accumulate before booking your trip(s).

Lou_Duran

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2008, 02:37:41 PM »
Mark.

Unless you're trophy hunting, spend a full week in the Dallas/Fort Worth area.  Play Jeff Brauer's TANGLE RIDGE, RIDGEVIEW RANCH, WHITESTONE, and SQUAW VALLEY-LAKES; John Colligan's SQUAW VALLEY-LINKS and HAWKS CREEK; and David Graham's and Gary Panks' (Gary Stephenson, primarily) TIERRA VERDE.  If you want to play more than 18 per day, you can add SQUAW CREEK  (Plummer), HARBOR LAKES (Phelps), MANSFIELD NATIONAL (Colligan), either of the TENISON PARK courses (Plummer, originally), CEDAR CREST (Tillie light, mostly Weibring), and a personal favorite, though a couple hours away, PINE DUNES (Morrish).

You can do all or most of this within your budget, including a rental car, gas, modest, but clean lodging, and good local food (and I know how much your son can eat).  In terms of value (quality of the experience relative to cost), north Texas is hard to beat.  You also will not feel more welcomed anywhere else.  

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2008, 02:45:01 PM »

Greater Sand Hills including Wildhorse, Dismal River, Ballyneal and perhaps a couple of others which I suspect you haven't been to yet.

Mark,

I would expand this into Colorado. Maybe you have spent a bunch of time in The Alps, but The Rockies are pretty special.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 03:12:16 PM »
Mark, it depends what you want to play.  If you want the classic old courses stay in the Philly to Boston corridor or fly to Chicago.
The Sand Hills to Denver is a good bet for some of the best new courses.  Of course you could also get to the mountains which probably is different than anything you have played.  I'd love to see you and Giles again.  I don't think access should be a problem where ever you go with the connections most of us have.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jason Topp

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 03:23:51 PM »
For a sampler of classic US courses on rolling wooded terrain, it is pretty tough to beat Minneapolis:

Woodhill - Ross
Minikahda - Watson/Ross
Interlachen - Watson/Ross
Minneapolis - Willie Park
Edina - Alex Findlay & others
North Oaks - Stanley Thompson
White Bear - Ross
Somerset - Raynor
Oak Ridge - My course
Hazeltine - RTJones
Golden Valley - Tillinghast
Town and Country - not sure,

*Most of the list is taken from a John Conley post

Michael Blake

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 07:02:16 PM »
I would blow it all at Bandon Dunes.

In season (May-Oct) around $200/rd and $100 for replays.  Out of season (Nov-April) is around half of that.

In season room around $200.  Out of season around half.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 12:20:50 AM »
Jason,

Any reason you left off Raynor's Minnesota Valley?

Just curious. I've never played, but have plans to this year.

Justin Ryan

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2008, 12:24:24 AM »
Convert it to Australian dollars and come to Melbourne.

Jason Topp

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2008, 10:39:07 AM »
Jason,

Any reason you left off Raynor's Minnesota Valley?

Just curious. I've never played, but have plans to this year.

Bill:

No particular reason for leaving off Minnesota Valley other than I thought my list was getting large enough as it is and I stole the list from John Conley.  I could have added another 10 pretty easily, especially if you include modern courses.  

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2008, 02:09:23 PM »
You should probably check with United as they have an airfare sale going on and new nonstops from London to Denver.  

Craig Sweet

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2008, 09:51:06 PM »
Mark...come to Montana and do some fishing and some golf...a couple of thousand will go a long way...and I;ll show you around!
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2008, 07:07:37 PM »
I'm not surprised at the enthusiastic reponse - my experience of US hosts is that they are fantastically hospitable and I am honoured to know those I have so far met. What guidance I need from you is how to narrow it down - I will be 60 next year and I am getting fed up with long haul air travel, so this is possibly my last US trip. I sincerely hope it isn't, but it might well be, so let's add that to the equation.

Kyle - if I wait for the extra interest it will be at least 2012 before I can make it to the US. I'll bring the $4 in coins - they'll pay for the toll roads and bridges.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 05:22:44 AM »
I'm looking at the weeks beginning 15th and 22nd September. I have to be home by the 27th. Crystal Downs green fee certainly looks very good value. I've never been in that part of the States....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back