News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BCrosby

Mike -

It's hard to know what to make of Wilson's election as the green chair at the Princeton course. It might have been something senior golf captains were expected to do. Who knows. In any event it was not an office he occupied for very long, since I assume he graduated in June of that year and moved back to Philadelphia.

Bob
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 04:43:48 PM by BCrosby »

Mike_Cirba

Mike -

It's hard to know what to make of Wilson's election as the green chair at the Princeton course. It might have been something senior golf captains were expected to do. Who knows. In any event it was not an office he occupied for very long, since I assume he graduated in June of that year and moved back to Philadelphia.

Bob

Bob,

If Princeton was just playing on an established course through those years, I would think much the same.   However, this situation was a bit different, as almost from the time Wilson arrived it was clear that the University was looking for a brand new course.

I'd mention two things;

1) Site selection and building of the course happened through his years at Princeton, with the course opening I believe in 1901, a few months after he was elected to the Green Committee in March of his Junior year.

2) He graduduated in 1902.   

If nothing else, I'm sure he was exposed to course building at that time, no matter how poor the course might have been, as I'm sure we'll likley soon hear argued.   :D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 08:37:30 PM by MikeCirba »

Mike_Cirba

Re: Hugh Wilson
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2008, 09:55:42 PM »
And from the May 18, 1901 Philadelphia Inquirer is this little snippet, buried at the very bottom of the sports page:

I'm assuming this means he was captain during his senior year.

Bob Crosby,

I just noticed this earlier post from Joe Bausch above.

It seems by the dates of the articles, Hugh Wilson was elected to the Green Committee of Princeton Golf Club prior to being named Captain of the Princeton golf team.   

Seem as though he was quite the precocious, curious kid.

Incidentally,

I find conflicting information as to the designer of the "new" course at Princeton.   

Dr. William Quirin's "Golf Clubs of the MGA" states that Springdale Golf Club (as it's known today) was designed by Willie Dunn.   Nine holes opened just after the turn of last century and a second nine in the teens (according to Dunn's plans), before William Flynn significantly revised the entire course in the 20s.

The news article I read today suggested that the design was by James Swan, who was the Greenkeeper at St. Andrews at the time.   Knowing what we know about course creation at the time, it was likely a Dunn paper job executed by Swan.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 10:07:37 PM by MikeCirba »

Peter Pallotta

Bob C -

you've mentioned before how much of the architectural record is still to be re-discovered, buried as it is in old forgotten journals in musty far away libraries. But your post on this thread got me thinking about how much of that historical record was never actually recorded at all, but instead happened casually and without notice during late night talks amongst friends over port and cigars in college dorms, or with cool gin and tonics in hand on summer patios amongst fellow competitors after tournaments at Garden City or Midlothian.  How little we can really know about the many ideas and ideals and philosophies on golf course architecture that were born or developed in those times and places, and never recorded anywhere except second hand, on the ground or in reflection. In this, golf course architecture reminds me yet again of jazz, and of the countless moments of improvisational genius by the greats and near greats that floated off into the ether the moment they were born, heard just that once in that one time and place and never heard again, except second hand in legend and stories and old memories like those about the time Lester Young outplayed Coleman Hawkins in a late night, hours long cutting-contest in Kansas City. (What might've Lester played on his 6th or 12th chorus of Lady Be Good or Body and Soul that had Billie Holiday calling him The Pres from then on? I'll never know.)  All of which is to say, I'm sure there's much that Hugh Wilson knew and experienced and said and heard that was here one moment and gone the next, unrecorded even in his own letters and by his own hand.

Peter 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 10:33:20 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Mike_Cirba

Peter,

The more I'm reading about Hugh Wilson, whether it's his golfing, cricket, hockey, baseball, or social accomplishments...

...the more certain I am that he'd be the last person in the world to tell you about them.

In fact, should you ask, I'm pretty sure his first reaction would be to blush and then divert the discussion elsewhere.

Joe,

Hugh Wilson was a member of Aronimink (Belmont) in 1897, where he won the club championship.   If he was a member at Philly CC in 1898, he might have held memberships at both clubs.

His brother Alan was a member at Merion in the late 1890s.   It appears that when he returned from Princeton in 1902, he joined Merion as well.

I see the post you put here where he may have met his wife.   Today, I came across an article of their engagement in 1903, which was about 1 year after graduating college, but would seem to be  a five-year courtship. 

I guess that was pretty common in those days.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 11:19:27 PM by MikeCirba »

Joe Bausch

I've done a more comprehensive search for Hugh Wilson in the database of early Philadelphia Inquirer issues I have access to.  I essentially searched for "H I Wilson" or "Hugh Wilson" or "Hugh I Wilson" from 1890 to 1922.  Sorting through the many hits I think this is a reasonably complete list of stories where he is mentioned, but I'm sure I missed a few or more.  In chronological order:

1. March 1, 1896:  youngster at a dinner party (in the 'This Week in Society' article)
2. July 26, 1896:  family makes trip to the Adirondacks
3. May 9, 1897:  GAP match for Belmont team
4. Dec 4, 1897:  GAP tourney
5. Dec 5, 1897:  match at Philly CC
6. Mar 6, 1898:  story calls him 'king' golfer at Belmont and that he doesn't play when the weather gets cold.
7. May 8, 1898:  interclub match playing for Philly CC
8. June 1, 1898:  usher at a wedding.
9. Dec 31, 1899:  at a 'subscription dance' (?); Mary Warren in attendance too.
10. July 29, 1900: at an 'enchre party' (?) in Spring Lake, NJ
11. Dec 19, 1900:  appointed manager of P'ton FR baseball team
12. May 18, 1901:  named captain of golf team
13. June 26, 1901: leaves to visit Silver City, NM (I think this is where little mentioned brother Wayne lives).
14. May 11, 1902:  NCAA match at Garden City
15. June 14, 1903: better ball tourney
16. oops, I skipped a number!
17. Sept 27, 1903:  GAP qualifier
18. Nov 4, 1903:  wins Election Day Trophy tourney at St Davids
19. May 8, 1904:  interclub match
20. May 26, 1904: Stevenson Cup qualifier (playing for Merion)
21. May 28, 1905: GAP match at HVCC (for Merion)
22. June 4, 1905: GAP match vs Mt. Airy
23. May 24 and July 1, 1906:  tourneys at Merion
24. Jan 17, 1907: squash tourney
25. Jan 24, 1907:  squash tourney
26. April 21, 1907:  named to play in 4/27/07 Chevy Chase match
27. June 29, 1907:  a "Hugh Wilson" is listed on a boat to Glasgow.
28. February 12, 1908: squash tourney
29. May 3, 1908: intercity match vs Washington
30. Jan 17, 1909:  squash tourney.
31. Feb 16, 1909:  squash tourney (defaulted match)
32. March 18, 1909:  Princeton Club dinner.
33. Dec 1, 1911: at the Radnor Horse Show (Robert Leslie there too)
34. Sept 12, 1912:  tourney invite for 9/27 and 9/28
35. Apr 10, 1913:  Cobb's stuff.
36. Apr 25, 1913:  Cobb's stuff.
37. June 23, 1913:  Philly Cup competition
38. June 24, 1913:  upcoming GAP tourney
39. July 5, 1913:  GAP match
40. July 6, 1913:  GAP match
41. Sept 20, 1913:  Lesley Cup qualifier invite.
42. Dec 31, 1913:  caddy dinner story at Merion.
43. Nov 4, 1914:  Joe Bunker article.
44. Jan 24, 1915:  Joe Bunker Cobb's story.
45. March 17, 1915:  Joe Bunker article.
46. Apr 9, 1915:  4-ball match w/ Ouimet at Seaview
47. Jan 9, 1916:  Joe Bunker Cobb's article.
48. Apr 23, 1916:  Joe Bunker article that includes recent changes to Merion for upcoming National Amateur tourney.
49. Jan 14, 1917: Billy Bunker article
50. Mar 11, 1917:  his work on two holes at Philmont
51. April 15, 1917:  mentioned in part of PV story
52. Apr 22, 1917:  Billy Bunker article.
53. Apr 21, 1919:  mentioned "In a Social Way" article
54. Dec 21, 1919: part of "Clubs and Clubmen" article where he is mentioned finishing PV
55. Jan 8, 1920: elected to exec comm of USGA
56. Jan 10, 1920:  same as above
57. Jan 18, 1920:  same as above
58. Feb 8, 1920:  trip to Atlantic City
59. Nov 13, 1920: mentioned "In a Social Way" article
60. Nov 4, 1920:  again USGA comm mention
61. Dec 1, 1920: sold house in Bryn Mawr
62. Dec 5, 1920:  dance invitation at Merion CC
63. Aug 2, 1921: trip to NY
64: Oct 31, 1921:  guest at H'ween dance.
65. Mar 3, 1922:  searching for more golf course sites for the city

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike_Cirba

Joe,

Nothing in 1910, huh?   So we're still left with the fact that we know he played in a tournament in October of that year, and in November, Tillinhgast mentioned in American Golfer that Wilson was one of a number of prominent golfers whose recent absence from competitive golf he bemoaned.

BCrosby

Peter -

Your jazz analogy is a good one. The main difference being that most Charlie Parker solos left no trace. OTOH, for most of MacKenzie's designs, to pick a name, we have at least something concrete to research, whether it is the actual course or drawings, newspaper accounts, notes, etc. Jazz is pure performance art. Very little was transcribed. GCA is some combination of performance art and tangible art. We can research the tangible part.

In theory, researching gca ought to be much more fruitful. I don't know how you would recapture what Monk did in a performance that wasn't recorded.

The thing about gca is that we haven't been looking in enough places. Joe Bausch has proven that.

Bob

Jim Nugent

Joe Bausch,  fantastic research.  Two questions.  Do any of those articles from 1911 on name Wilson as Merion's builder or designer? 

Also, do you know if there were any other Hugh Wilsons in or around Philadelphia then?  I'm wondering if that trip in 1907 could be someone else, or if you are pretty sure it was our Hugh.  May mean nothing, but the time between the 1907 article and the next article that mentions Hugh is a little over 7 months. 

Mike_Cirba

Jim,

I copied this from a recent thread.   I hope it answers your question.  Beyond "Far and Sure"'s comments after playing Merion when it first opened, these are the first articles I've seen that mention Wilson's involvement with Merion.

Philly Inquirer – 9/15/12 – “Clubs & Clubmen” column

“Mr. Hugh Wilson went abroad to get ideas for the new course and helped largely in the planning of the holes.”

Philadelphia Public Ledger – 10/12/13 – William Evans

“Hugh I. Wilson, chairman of the Green Committee at the Merion Cricket Club and who is responsible for the wonderful links on the Main Line, has been Mr. Geist’s right hand man and has laid out the Sea View course.  Mr. Wilson some years ago before the new course at Merion was constructed visited the most prominent courses here and in Great Britain and has no superior as a golf architect.   Those who have visited the new course have commented warmly on its construction.”

Philadelphia Public Ledger – 11/1/14 - William Evans

“Then comes Hugh I. Wilson of Merion, whose word ought to count for a great deal, for he laid out both the Merion courses and the Seaview links.   He has this to say.. "

Philly Inquirer 12/06/14 – Joe Bunker

“Hugh I. Wilson, for a number of year’s chairman of the Green Committee at Merion Cricket Club has resigned.  He personally constructed the two courses at Merion, and before the first was built he visited every big course in Great Britain and this country. “

Philly Inquirer 1/24/15 – Joe Bunker

“Such experts as Hugh Wilson, who laid out the Merion and Seaview courses…have laid out the golf course in Cobb’s Creek Park.”

Philadelphia Public Ledger – 1/31/15 – William Evans

“A Committee made up of Hugh Wilson, the man responsible for the two Merion and new Seaview courses…will aid the park engineers in laying out the course (at Cobb’s Creek)”.

Philly Inquirer 4/23/16 – Joe Bunker

“Nearly every hole on the course (Merion East) has been stiffened (for the US Am) so that in another month or two it will resemble a really excellent championship course.  Hugh Wilson is the course architect and Winthrop Sargent is chairman of the Green Committee.  These two men have given a lot of time and attention to the changes and improvements.  Before anything was done to the course originally, Mr. Wilson visited every golf course of any note not only in Great Britain, but in this country as well, with the result that Merion’s East Course is the last word in golf course architecture.  It has been improved each year until not it is almost perfect from a golf standpoint.

Philly Inquirer 1/14/17 – Billy Bunker

“Hugh Wilson built both the Merion courses and the course at Seaview.”

Philly Inquirer 1/28/17 – Billy Bunker

“Both the Merion Cricket Club courses were built under the direction of Hugh Wilson who also laid out the Seaview course.”

Philly Inquirer 4/22/17 – Billy Bunker

“An expert like Hugh Wilson, who built the two fine courses at Merion believes every club would have better putting greens if not for the craze for lightning-fast greens.

USGA Greens Section report – February 1925 (after Wilson’s death)

“The mature results of his studies in golf architecture are embodied in the East Course at Merion, which was remodeled under his direction in 1923-24.  It is safe to say this his course displays in a superb way all the best ideas in recent golf course architecture along the lines of its American development.  For a long time to come the East course will be a mecca to all serious students of golf architecture.”

George Thomas – Year unknown (quoted by Geoff Shackelford)

“I always considered Hugh Wilson of Merion, Pennsylvania as one of the best of our golf architects, professional or amateur (note the early need for distinction).  He taught me many things at Merion and the Philadelphia Municipal (Cobb’s Creek) and when I was building my first California courses, he kindly advised me by letter when I wrote him concerning them.” 

Geoff Shackelford – “The Captain”

“Thomas spent considerable time studying Hugh Wilson’s work during the construction of Merion Cricket Club’s East Course in 1912, its West Course in 1914, and at a municipal course in Philadelphia, now Cobb’s Creek.”

Golf Illustrated  – July 20, 1934 – A.W. Tillinghast (a man who had been there since the beginning and witnessed the creation of Merion first-hand)

“There was peculiar pleasure in revisiting Merion after an interval of years for I have known the course since its birth.  Yet, with it all, there was keen regret that my old friend Hugh Wilson had not lived to see such scenes as the National Open unfolded over the fine course that he loved so much.   It seemed rather tragic to me, for so few seemed to know that the Merion course was planned and developed by Hugh Wilson, a member of the club who possessed a decided flair for golf architecture.  Today the great course at Merion, and it must take place along the greatest in America, bears witness to his fine intelligence and rare vision.”

Mike_Cirba

One of the major points of contention when these Merion stories originally surfaced years back, and again recently, is the question of how Hugh Wilson and the Merion committee would  have possibly learned about Alps holes, and Redan holes, and such without the benefit of Macdonald and Whigham's expert knowledge.

However, we now see that a course Hugh Wilson played as far back as his college years had an "Alps" hole back in 1896, (check out the picture halfway down the left side) and another notable course had a "redan" and a "himalayas", a "maiden", a "plateau", and a "Quarry", and a "Home" hole by the time it hosted the 1910 US Open.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9B06E0D61338E233A25755C0A9649D94679ED7CF

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/AmericanGolfer/1910/ag44d.pdf

Can someone direct Patrick Mucci to this thread.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 03:42:52 PM by MikeCirba »

Jeff_Brauer

And who won the toonamint the article focused on? None other than HG Whigham in his first event since coming over from Scotland!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Joe Bausch

Joe Bausch,  fantastic research.  Two questions.  Do any of those articles from 1911 on name Wilson as Merion's builder or designer? 

Also, do you know if there were any other Hugh Wilsons in or around Philadelphia then?  I'm wondering if that trip in 1907 could be someone else, or if you are pretty sure it was our Hugh.  May mean nothing, but the time between the 1907 article and the next article that mentions Hugh is a little over 7 months. 

For your first question, I think MikeC tackled it pretty well.

Now, for your second:  there was at least one other Hugh Wilson around Philly at that time.  Hence, I have no proof of the identity of that Hugh Wilson on the 1907 ship.  At least not yet.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 04:32:18 PM by Joe Bausch »

DMoriarty

Joe Bausch:

I believe Jim Nugent referred to 1911 articles.  Have you ever found an article from 1911 that mentioned that Hugh I. Wilson designed Merion?    The first article I can think of off-hand is one from January 1912. 

What is the significance (if any) of a Hugh Wilson trip in 1907 (if it was our Hugh Wilson?)  Do you have evidence that the Hugh Wilson who traveled in 1907 did so to study golf courses?   If so, why?  And where did he play?

I noticed there was no listing for 1906.  Should we assume he was studying courses in Europe during this period?   

How about for any other seven month periods where he was not listed-- is it reasonable to conclude or eve suggest that he may have been traveling during all or any of these periods? 

One of the major points of contention when these Merion stories originally surfaced years back, and again recently, is the question of how Hugh Wilson and the Merion committee would  have possibly learned about Alps holes, and Redan holes, and such without the benefit of Macdonald and Whigham's expert knowledge.

However, we now see that a course Hugh Wilson played as far back as his college years had an "Alps" hole back in 1896, (check out the picture halfway down the left side) and another notable course had a "redan" and a "himalayas", a "maiden", a "plateau", and a "Quarry", and a "Home" hole by the time it hosted the 1910 US Open.

http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?res=9B06E0D61338E233A25755C0A9649D94679ED7CF

http://www.la84foundation.org/SportsLibrary/AmericanGolfer/1910/ag44d.pdf

Can someone direct Patrick Mucci to this thread.  ;)

Mike,  I'll assume you are serious about this post.

1)  We've discussed the Country Club's "redan" on this board before.  Did you read the description of the "Redan" at the Country Club in the same article? 

2)  What if any similarities were there between the 130 yard drop shot hole with railroad ties at Brookline and any of Macdonald's Redan's and/or the Redan at Merion?

3)  What if any similarities were there between any of the holes you site and any of Macdonald's with a similar name, or any at Merion?

4)  The older article mentions "alps holes;"  can you describe these "alps holes" for us and how they influenced Wilson and how they were like the 10th at Merion or any of Macdonald's Alps holes.

5) When did Wilson play the CC at Brookline?

6) What is your basis for saying that these holes were were there the year he played them.

7)  As I recall, Wilson indicates he was greatly influenced by NGLA and Pine Valley; have you any verifiable evidence that he was influenced by any of these holes you list, and if so how? 

8 ) If I recall correctly, The Country Club underwent significant changes in the few years preceding 1910.  How did this impact your conclusions?

9) Here is what Henry Leach, "the eminent British golf writer," had to say about Brookline's "redan" in 1912, according to the January 1913 American Golfer:

"The tenth hole is a most delightful short one, called the 'Redan,' after the famous piece of
golf at North Berwick; but Mr. Windeler had the second at Prestwick largely in mind when he designed it. Yet it is a far better hole than the second on the Ayshire links."

High praise, but do you think he is writing about a "redan" as we think of it?

10 )  Do you think your conclusions and thread title are reasonable, supported, and balanced, given the sources you have sited?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 05:09:21 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

TEPaul

At some point, and somehow, I really would like to know if Wilson went abroad in 1910 or not. The irony is, whether he went or didn't go, it makes no difference to the facts of who routed and designed Merion East and when.

Phil_the_Author

David,

You are incorrect in your understanding of what Jim Nugent asked. You wrote, "I believe Jim Nugent referred to 1911 articles.  Have you ever found an article from 1911 that mentioned that Hugh I. Wilson designed Merion?    The first article I can think of off-hand is one from January 1912.  "

Jim actually asked, "Joe Bausch,  fantastic research.  Two questions.  Do any of those articles from 1911 on name Wilson as Merion's builder or designer?"

1911 ON. That includes articles after 1911. Now, he may himself answer with, "Oops, Joe, I actually ONLY meant 1911" and that would certainly be proper if he did, but he did use the word "ON" after 1911 and that means in further years.

Joe Bausch answered correctly. 

Mike_Cirba

David.

I only have a second right now but I think you understand my primary point;  that these type holes just didn't start with MW but preceeded them and were even common knowledge by 1910.

Perhaps this explains why Merion's alps and redan holes were so poorly representative of the standard template holes that MW built?

DMoriarty

Phillip.  Thanks.  I missed the word on.   Jim did mention "1911 on" and my question to Joe Bausch still stands. 

David.

I only have a second right now but I think you understand my primary point;  that these type holes just didn't start with MW but preceeded them and were even common knowledge by 1910.

Perhaps this explains why Merion's alps and redan holes were so poorly representative of the standard template holes that MW built?

I do understand your primary point, but do not think it is at all supported by the articles you link.     

No, dissimilar holes with the same names do not explain why Wilson's redan and alps were not exactly the same as those holes at NGLA.    As far as I can tell, the holes you site had absolutely nothing to do with Wilson's attempts at building a Redan and Alps at Merion. 

Is it fair to assume that you have nothing at all connecting these holes to what happened at Merion?   Aside from the names of the holes, that is? 
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 05:08:05 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Joe Bausch

DavidM:  no, I have not yet found any article from 1911 mentioning Hugh Wilson as the designer of MEast. 

I simply reported the articles I've unearthed.  I'll leave it to others, for now, to decide whether a "Hugh Wilson" from the Philly area traveling to Glasgow in 1907 could somehow be meaningful.  I'm not sure why you might want to assume I'm trying to prove anything at this time.  I'm presenting data.  Do with it as you please.

Regarding stuff from 1906:  David, you should re-read my list.  He is talked about in two tourneys at Merion that year (May 24 and July 1).

Joe Bausch

And in that comprehensive search for our boy I forgot to look for "Hugh Irvin Wilson", using his actual middle name according to his birth certificate!  Well, I've done another search and a grand total of one time, yep one stinkin' time, is he referenced this way in the Philadelphia Inquirer!  It is a December 12, 1920 article where he and Mrs. Wilson have set up a dance in honor of their daughter of Louise.

Also, I thought this one I found from 1918 is fun to look at:

Jim Nugent

David,

You are incorrect in your understanding of what Jim Nugent asked. You wrote, "I believe Jim Nugent referred to 1911 articles.  Have you ever found an article from 1911 that mentioned that Hugh I. Wilson designed Merion?    The first article I can think of off-hand is one from January 1912.  "

Jim actually asked, "Joe Bausch,  fantastic research.  Two questions.  Do any of those articles from 1911 on name Wilson as Merion's builder or designer?"

1911 ON. That includes articles after 1911. Now, he may himself answer with, "Oops, Joe, I actually ONLY meant 1911" and that would certainly be proper if he did, but he did use the word "ON" after 1911 and that means in further years.

Joe Bausch answered correctly. 

Philip, that is exactly how I meant it. 

I was wondering if any contemporary or nearly contemporary accounts said Wilson designed Merion.  Seems like a whole lot did.  I have to wonder, were they all wrong, and if so why?  Was Tillie wrong, and if so, why? 

David, if Merion's Hugh traveled to Scotland in 1907, seems real likely to me that he played golf there.  The game was a big part of his life.  He had been a top player from his university days on.  He was a member of Princeton's greens committee -- suggesting he was real interested in golf courses -- and captain of their golf team.  He played many matches for Merion, and took part in lots of tournaments. 

Scotland was the cradle of the game.  Home of many great courses.  The surprising thing to me would be if Wilkson didn't play there.  What golfing enthusiast, who was an excellent player and had a keen interest in courses, would not?

Mike_Cirba

Joe,

That picture explains it ALL! 

Hugh Wilson and H.G. Lloyd are ONE and the SAME!!!   :o :o :o

Talk about a "Philadelphia Conspiracy"!!  ;) ;D

Mike_Cirba

Either that or Wilson was Horatio Lloyd Gates' evil twin, with a Gorbachev-type thing on his head!    ;D

By the way, did you know that E.T. Stotesbury (center) drove the first ball at Cobb's Creek?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 06:20:21 PM by MikeCirba »

Joe Bausch

Either that or Wilson was Horatio Lloyd Gates' evil twin, with a Gorbachev-type thing on his head!    ;D

By the way, did you know that E.T. Stotesbury (center) drove the first ball at Cobb's Creek?

Oh yes, I know who E.T. is and his first drive at Cobb's.  Did you forget who unearthed those articles?   ;)

I was wondering if anybody would pick up on the photo mistake!  Nice job.

Mike_Cirba

Joe,

Oh I didn't forget...I was just playing straight man to your scintillating stage presentation, tossing you a softball to blast out of the park.  ;D

David,

I'm not sure if you are getting my point.   For some years now your position, as well as Patrick Mucci's, was that the only way Hugh Wilson and Committee could have learned about the famous holes like the Redan and Alps was through the face-to-face meeting(s) with Macdonald and Whigham.   Both of you also made it seem that these were foreign concepts to players of the time, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Whether or not the Redan at Brookline during 1910 or the Alps at Ardsley back in 1896 were good replicas is besides the point.   The fact is that people were aware of these holes, and tried to emulate them, far, far before NGLA.    This shouldn't be surprising at all given the number of Scottish professional emigrees in the country during those years.    Tom MacWood's essay today showed a number of them like WIllie Campbell, who just happened to design the original holes at Brookline..   These were hardly foreign concepts, no pun intended.

Wilson and his committee were all friends with Tillinghast who not only knew an Alps from a Redan from an Eden, but had played many times with Old Tom Morris.   

As you know, HJ Whigham even wrote a lengthy article in March of 1909 the described all of the holes at NGLA and included sketches.   Do you think the guys at Merion hadn't read this?

I still don't know how they screwed up the redan however, particularly given Whigham's description;

"The third short hole is a copy of the Redan hole at North Berwick...The flag should be about 175 yards from the tee on a still day.   Next to the 11th at St. Andrews the redan is conceded to be the best one-shot hole in the world.   The green is protected by a deep bunker in front and is so narrow that it is necessary to play the shot with a good deal of backspin if it is played straight; but the conformation of the ground is such that the bunker may be avoided by playing to the right and allowing the ball to roll in toward the hole with the slope.   Either shot requires considerable skill."

Hmm....deep bunker in front?   Wonder if those folks at Brookline weren't so far off the mark?   Recall that the fronting bunker at North Berwick had railroad sleepers at the time, as well.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 06:55:11 PM by MikeCirba »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back