News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andy Troeger

Re:Turn a featureless site into a top 100 ??
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2007, 07:09:55 PM »
To me featureless means just that...an ocean or mountain view, internal contour of the site, even a heavily forested site would seem to have some "feature" to the site. We're either looking at a flat cornfield somewhere, or maybe a flat desert site like Talking Stick.

Could that be made into a top 100 course without lots of money put in? Personally, I doubt it, just because the land dictates so much about the course and that bar is so high that it seems a bit much. Could it be a darned good golf course? Of course!

J_ Crisham

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2007, 07:14:32 PM »
TonyP, As I stated its all in the eye of the beholder. I enjoy links courses thru dunes hence the reason why I journey to Ireland biennially. Not to suggest they don't have a certain type of beauty. Given a choice I prefer older, tree lined courses preferably a Ross or Tilly design. Havn't played a Flynn yet but from pictures this is the type of terrain I like. Just a personal preference. Didn't say I wouldn't enjoy the hell out of a Sand Hills or a Ballyneal.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2007, 07:17:45 PM »
Andy, good call on the featureless description.

archie_struthers

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2007, 10:49:45 AM »
 8) ;D :D

Interesting post ......imagine if you will Flynn's Indian Creek just off Miami Beach Florida.... wholly man made ....pretty much...featureless....if you don't count views....marvelous course....fantastic greens.... but not top 100 quality

still, a personal favorite of mine for it's subtlety and the "whole package"

JESII

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2007, 11:08:36 AM »
Archie,

I think cost was an ingredient in the original question though...which makes this a really tough accomplishment I'd think...

John_Conley

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2007, 11:40:53 AM »
Old Memorial is a wonderful golf course.  On a pretty bad site.  But it isn't inexpensive.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back