News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

RTJ II vs Rees
« on: December 06, 2007, 08:58:16 PM »
How does everyone here think how the Jones brothers match up? Which do you prefer? I've only played RTJ jrs and have always had fun for the most part. Poppy Hills, Desert Dunes (which I enjoy quite a bit in the wind) and Arizona National to name a few. I've never played a Rees original. Which one in your opinion is the better architect?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Andy Troeger

Re:RTJ II vs Rees
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »
Hmm...I'm not the only one not to have played a Rees original. I'm not even sure why I haven't...

I've enjoyed the RTJ Jr. courses I've played generally. The best of the bunch was Wedgewood in Powell, OH, which starts off really well. The front nine is very strong and it holds on pretty well. Pueblo de Cochiti here in New Mexico is good as well, one of the prettiest courses in NM and that is saying something I think. Rainmakers will be another new one in NM opening this summer that looks pretty good from the photos I've seen.

Las Sendas in Mesa, AZ holds its own in the Phoenix area pretty well. Spanish Bay isn't as good as its neighbors and you could make the argument it could be better given the land its on, but its fun to play and the scenery ain't bad.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 09:19:55 PM »
I believe my only example of playing Rees Jones is Sandpines. Need I say more? I have played several RTJ IIs and have always felt better about the course than after my round at Sandpines.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 10:42:07 PM »
My personal experiences with both are lukewarm. Nothing world-beating, nothing atrocious either.

RTJ2:

Great-...
Good- Poppy Hills, Dublin Ranch, The Ridge
Mixed bag-Front Nine @ Bodega Harbour (newer)
Poor- Back Nine @ Bodega Harbour (older)

Rees:

Great- ...
Good- Poppy Ridge, Washington Duke redesign (RTJ Sr.)
Mixed bag-...
Bad-...

**I walked the Monterey Peninsula CC Dunes Course (Raynor and Hunter), but I have no idea how much of the course should be credited to Rees. **
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 10:53:14 PM »

Rees:

**I walked the Monterey Peninsula CC Dunes Course (Raynor and Hunter), but I have no idea how much of the course should be credited to Rees. **

Kyle,

Let's put it like this, Rees' work on the course was fantastic and made the Dunes a superior layout..

Bob

Norbert P

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 11:20:10 PM »
Junior --- Heron Lakes Great Blue.  A highly appreciated muni.
              Chambers Bay.  Opportunity with inspiring results.

Rees  --- Sand Pines.  Uninspiring missed opportunity.

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 12:52:11 AM »

Rees:

Kyle,

Let's put it like this, Rees' work on the course was fantastic and made the Dunes a superior layout..

Bob

Bob,
I distinctly recall our discussion on that subject and the praise you gave to Rees for his efforts and professionalism. Naturally, Ran's course profile also offers some info on the subject and I had those thoughts in mind as a spectator during the Cal Amateur.

But, as I have no idea of what the course used to look like or how it plays for anyone not talented enough to qualify for the Cal Amateur, I don't feel comfortable listing it in among my personal experiences of Rees' work.

It is certainly a high-quality course.

"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Steve Verde

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 01:59:35 AM »
I haven't played any of RTJ Jr.'s courses so I couldn't say anything about him but I have been underwhelmed by the Rees Jones courses I've played. I've played Golden Horseshoe Green, Huntsville, Sandpines, and Tattersall and I feel that they could have all been much better. All of these courses have mounding lining the fairways which is a feature that I am not a fan of.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 03:22:01 PM »
The only place I'm aware of where you can see the  brothers' work side by side is in Sandestin, Florida, about an hour east of Pensacola in the Florida Panhandle, where Burnt Pine (Rees) and the Raven (RTJ II) are adjacent.

Neither is an earth shaking experience although a lot of earth was moved, particularly at Burnt Pine where the fairways were raised up about six feet above the surrounding marshland.  As a result the fairway edges fall off quite regularly into the surrounding mucky rough.

I liked the Raven better because it was a lot less obviously shaped, but this was a relative thing. Burnt Pine is mound lined, the Raven less so.   I'm not eager at all to go back to either course.

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 04:23:52 PM »
While not my personal favorite, RTJ Jr. has had some solid courses to his credit. Around Chicago there is Prarie View in West Chicago which is fine, pretty much a wide open piece of land with fake "links" style holes. Thunderhawk north of the city is pretty awesome, built within a forest preseve he had a great piece of land and made some fun holes. The only other I think I have played is his course in Keystone, CO. I played in April during a spring ski trip and thought it was ok.

As so far as Rees, I have recently played his bellerive re-do which I thought was a perfect job for what the membership wanted. His re-work job at Medinah, which I didn't think was great...but there isn't much you can do with that course. In org. designs I recently played his course at Pinehills here in boston which I thought had some good holes and some bad holes, on a pretty good piece of land. Also played briar's creek down in Kiawah and thought it was pretty good, but the atmosphere of the club made it a little better.

Pat
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back