News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

Help on Lookout Mountain
« on: December 06, 2007, 08:29:37 AM »
Can anyone tell me when this tee was built? I have never played the course. This picture was posted on the Short Hole thread. My guess is that Raynor did not build the tee, someone else did. Anyone know the answer?

Billsteele

Re:Help on Lookout Mountain
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 12:31:37 PM »
Doug Stein is the man as far as Lookout Mountain goes. Hopefully, he will see this thread and chime in.

BCrosby

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 01:02:38 PM »
That tee and the 4th tee at The Country Club take the cake as the most man-made, artificial tees in the world. I like them both.

herrstein

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 01:17:16 PM »
The tee at the 6th IS a Raynor design. I have the original, hand-colored, penciled drawing.
The only tee shown on the original plan is on the rock.
The original steps can still be seen beneath the current wooden stairs.
The original tee, however, was tiny. The current tee has been expanded by at least double, and was done in the late 1980's by Stein Construction under the watchful eye of "Chops" Bryan and myself. It was done by building new retaining walls founded into the rock to accommodate new fill.
The original tee had similar, smaller retaining walls to make the flat space for the teeing ground.
There is also, now, tee space below and to the side of the rock. The original tee was about 200 square feet, all of which would be dirt or mud if there were not alternate teeing grounds on this short hole. I am not sure when the lower tees were built. The teeing area to the right of the rock was also expanded by Stein and Bryan in the late '80's, early '90's.

John_Cullum

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 06:39:18 PM »
I am supposing they maintain this tee with a weedeater
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Kyle Harris

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 07:11:02 PM »
How steep are the stairs? While I think the idea is quaint, the only way to get a walk mower up there would be to have to bars for the rollers to ride on up the stairs.

Think putting a Toro Flexmower on a trailer....

Dunlop_White

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 10:17:45 PM »
Good stuff. What about irrigation? Or does your Mark Stovall hand water?

M._Stovall

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 07:37:43 AM »
We use a push reel mower (Leave It to Beaver era).  The irrigation system for this tee is a 75 ft H2O hose with a nozzle.

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 04:27:32 PM »
bcrosby...how is the 4th at TCC more artificial? I don't remember the tee being built up quite as much on the rock there.

Interestingly enough, that 4th hole's tee used to be almost next to the 3rd hole's green. You can still tee off from down there, but it is tricky and you have NO idea where to aim!

Pat
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back