News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Brightly

Trump in the Dump!
« on: December 01, 2007, 06:55:14 PM »
The Donald is stepping in to finish a brownfield project in the former dump in the Meadowlands near me. Project started out with EnCap planning to build two course, but they missed deadlines and were about to be thrown off the site. The Donald is stepping in to "save the day..."

He is not putting any money up, but has announced plans to only build one Fazio course.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/08/nyregion/08trump.html?_r=1&n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/People/B/Bagli,%20Charles%20V.&oref=slogin

Tom_Doak

Re:Trump in the Dump!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 08:21:18 PM »
Taking bets right now on whether he will claim it's the best course in the state, way better than Pine Valley.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 08:30:56 PM »
Taking bets right now on whether he will claim it's the best course in the state, way better than Pine Valley.

Well, he already has Trump National in Bedminster, NJ (which I can only describe as HUGE) and he is building another 18 holes around that right now...

But I think the site will actually have views of Downtown Manahattan. It is further north than Bayonne or Liberty. I would guess those two will be his competition.

When the EnCap project was first started, they were going to build two or three public courses, which we desparetly need in New Jersey...so I was kind of bummed to hear that the project was "going big...." with one top end Fazio course.

Pete Stankevich

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 11:10:55 PM »
What isn't mentioned is the fact that Roy Case has been the golf course architect on this project for the better part of a decade, while the commission and everyone else couldn't get their act together.
I'm disappointed for him, that with all of the work that he has put into the project over the years and his courses won't get built.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 12:44:13 AM »
Fixed URL:  http://tinyurl.com/3cskmw

My vote is for "as good as" PV.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 07:30:21 AM »
Is declaring Hamilton Farm better than Augusta or PV any better? Those were the words of a certain Maryland-based developer after he purchased the facility.

If I recall correctly, marketing directors at places like the Alotian Club, Dallas National, Hudson National, Morefar, Maroon Creek, Mission Hills (China), Liberty National, etc...... all made similar claims

Some here have even touted their new , more GCA-favored, clubs as the next greatest golf course in North America (and DISTINCTLY BETTER than other longtime top 10-20 courses)....long before they even had the benefit of a full-season under their belts. Go figure???

Let's all get off our high horses and wait to see what the evolutionary process brings us. Specifically, the En-Cap project has been a disaster and a royal cluster f..k for NJ so far. Anybody who wants to come in and try to create alchemy from the muck should get a pass until proven otherwise...IMHO.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Bill Brightly

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 05:29:09 PM »
Steve,

When you say "Anybody who wants to come in and try to create alchemy from the muck should get a pass until proven otherwise...IMHO."

That is probably exactly what Cherokee hopes by bringing in Trump.

I hope they finish the project. Anything is preferable to a dump! It's just that Northern New Jersey can certianly support two new public courses. What we don't need, IMHO, is another top end $250,000+ to join country club. I guess we'll see...

If any one cares, here is a decent article on what happened with en cap

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=afzekTBNc5oY&refer=us
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 05:29:34 PM by Bill Brightly »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back