News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Philip Gawith

Updated Royal St George's course profile
« on: November 26, 2007, 11:47:03 AM »
Ran has posted a fresh profile which contains the customary insights and some fine pictures.

Andrew Hastie

Re:Updated Royal St George's course profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 12:04:52 PM »
Played there in the beginning of October in a torrential rainstorm.
So I didn't get a great look at the course, but from what I did see it has some of the best green complexes outside TOC. I would love to play there in the summer when it's playing a bit faster otherwise it's brutally long of the back tee's.
Another great review Ran.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 12:05:24 PM by Andrew Hastie »

Tom Birkert

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 03:02:05 PM »
I was there just over a weekend ago - and it was freezing and blowing a gale! Several new tees being constructed, the 9th green is spectacular and the 14th is one of my favourite matchplay holes.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 05:21:36 AM »
Excellent review Ran.

Certainly whetted the appetite for Buda 2009 if its to be at Deal and Sandwich.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 08:42:36 PM »
Philip is right that a revised profile on Royal St. George's has been posted under Courses by Country and Architecture Timeline.

Ever the gentleman, he is too modest to admit that he won our (unofficial) match there. I won't bore you with details but suffice to say, with the All-Blacks and Wallabies both losing the night before, I was emotionally, spirtually, and physically in no condition to play a match. Indeed, some may contend that my shaking hands as late in the match as the thirteenth green  :P could be considered a moral victory.

Anyway, enough of that. Two weeks ago Ben Crenshaw said that Royal St. George’s is his second favorite course on the rota, behind the obvious. He was genuinely effusive in his praise, in particular, singling out the greens and the variety of their placements. He detailed his good friend Bill Rogers’s win, stating he was the best iron player in the world for a three-year period.  (I thought he was the best/most accurate driver but Ben said for quality of contact and ball control, Bill’s iron play was unmatched).

Ironically, one of the few links that can compete in regards to greens happens to be 6km down the coast at Deal but I won’t get started on that debate regarding the relative merits of these two noble links (though of course Noel will quickly pen a 500 word post pleading his case like a good homer).

The players and viewers at the next Open at RSG will find a better presented course than the last one (i.e. more width off the tee). Specifically, the Club wasn’t happy that less than 30% of the field hit the seventeenth and/or eighteenth fairways and there will be more room to play next time.

Other comments on Open courses by Crenshaw: Royal Lytham might well be his third favorite, marveling at how the architects got so much out of the property. He thinks Hawtree’s work around the greens has remarkably improved Birkdale in recent years. The thought of playing the back nine at Troon into the wind is not but so appealing. Also, not surprisingly, North Berwick is among his all-time favorites based on the quality of shots the golfer is asked to invent.

Since the 1986 Masters, five tournaments stand out for me:

1)       Tiger destroying the field at St. Andrews,

2)       Tiger destroying the field at Pebble,

3)       Tiger beating Ernie on C&C’s Plantation Course at Kapalua in that thrilling playoff,

4)       Faldo beating Norman at the Masters. It became Tiger’s world after that and hindsight shows that it marked the end of the Masters/Augusta National as we knew it.

5)       And, finally and perhaps the best of all, the 1993 Open at RSG.

Great courses/designs allow great golf to be played at all levels and, for me, RSG is one of the dozen finest in the world in that regard (as well as in any regard).  Many may disagree but the fact that RSG stirs such strong emotions on both sides says plenty about how the Club hasn’t allowed it to be beaten down into another conventional, nice course conforming to the modern whims of perfect visuals, etc. Though many changes have occurred since Purves’s day, St. George’s remains thoroughly original, passing with flying colours one of the definite criteria for greatness.

Cheers,

Ed Tilley

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 04:57:26 AM »
The leaderboard at the 2003 Open was as strong as any in recent times. It often gets dismissed due to Ben Curtis winning but Woods, Singh, Bjorn, Love were all within a couple of shots, and even Norman and Faldo were up near the top. Even 1985 had Lyle, Langer, Stewart, Kite at the top.

The moral - despite being dismissed by many pros as 'too flukey' for the Open, RSG produces as good, if not better, leaderboards than any other course. I.e. it diferentiates the best players from the weaker players. To do this whilst retaining a unique charm and not changing in the interests of 'fairness' should mean that RSG is lauded far more than it is.

When I played for the first (not the last!) time last November, I wasn't expecting greatness. My expectations had been lowered by various derogatory comments made about the course. there always seemed to be a qualification about RSG - 'It's a good course, but....'. I found it to be both incredibly fun and incredibly challenging, and only Royal County Down of the courses I've played fits into that description.

Philip Gawith

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 10:00:02 AM »

I won't bore you with details but suffice to say, with the All-Blacks and Wallabies both losing the night before, I was emotionally, spirtually, and physically in no condition to play a match. Indeed, some may contend that my shaking hands as late in the match as the thirteenth green  :P could be considered a moral victory.

I thought I was the guy who made a living from public relations, but even I would blush at stuff like this! Still, it was interesting to see how badly the man from NC was affected by the southern hemisphere rugby setbacks. Obviously those years in Australia did some good.

Ed Tilley

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 10:23:43 AM »
As an amateur psychologist it is clear to me that Ran was subconsciously hitting away from the St George cross flags - a constant reminder of England's crushing win. A more generous and sportsmanlike man would have reflected this in the number of shots given. You can take a man out of S.Africa..... :)

Philip Gawith

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 02:46:20 PM »

This is GMBP looking good on the 5th tee - alas, by this stage he was already in deep trouble. And a diplomatic veil will be drawn over his chequered progress up this hole!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 01:06:39 PM »
Ran et al,

My friendly Board member at Royal St Georges is impressed with the updated profile on their great links. However there is one factual error.....anyone spot what it is??

Chappers
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back