News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brock Peyer

Did the game of golf just get a lot worse?!?!
« on: November 12, 2007, 09:20:04 PM »
I just read that Justin Timberlake will be the celebrity host of the Las Vegas Invitational or whatever they call it these days.  Is that really necessary?

Bill Gayne

Re:Did the game of golf just get a lot worse?!?!
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2007, 09:26:44 PM »
LPGA or PGA?

Is this the guy that had the wardrobe malfunction with Michael Jackson's sister?

Brock Peyer

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2007, 09:31:54 PM »
LPGA or PGA?

Is this the guy that had the wardrobe malfunction with Michael Jackson's sister?

That was my first question too, it is actually the PGA Tour's event...and  I won't start the debate here about Michael and Janet being the same person.

You would think that if you were going to attach a celeb to the Vegas event it would be someone like Joe Pesci, or Pacino or someone like that.

http://www.pgatour.com/2007/tournaments/r047/11/12/timberlake/index.html
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007, 09:32:27 PM by Brock Peyer »

Michael Blake

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2007, 09:32:59 PM »
He's bringing sexy back to golf.

Brian Laurent

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2007, 11:30:36 PM »
I know my wife will be watching.
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

James Bennett

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2007, 11:38:38 PM »
Justin Timberlake performed in Adelaide (Australia) last Saturday week ago.  He spent Saturday afternoon at Royal Adelaide Golf Club with some of his crew, playing in the rain.  He got nine holes in before the rain got too heavy.  

I suspect he gets to play on many fine courses in his travels.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

M. Shea Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2007, 12:11:46 AM »
green jacket, gold jacket.....

Chris Kane

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2007, 05:59:26 AM »
He played at Carnoustie earlier this year, had hundreds following him by the end!  

He had dinner a couple of nights later where I worked, and played the Old Course the next day.  The crowd was smaller - three girls who I tipped off because I knew the fake name he used in the ballot!

The following day he was at Muirfield, where I'm told he wasn't allowed into the clubhouse because he didn't have a jacket and tie.  

Not a bad player, 6 handicap I think.  

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2007, 06:13:53 AM »
I don't think one can or should use the adjective "worse" for things that happen in and around Las Vegas. ;)

PThomas

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 09:20:40 AM »
maybe his interest will get younger non golfers interested
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 09:39:45 AM »
This isn't anything new.  Both Andy Williams and Glen Campbell had their own tournaments in the 70's.  The Bob Hope Desert Classic was a staple for decades.  My only question is, "Who the heck is Justin Timberlake?"
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2007, 09:39:51 AM »
Perhaps someone should tip him off about GolfClubAtlas.

He cerrtainly seems to have fine taste in courses.

TEPaul

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2007, 09:44:33 AM »
Should I know who Justin Timberlake is?? I think I just found out who this Britanny Spearchucker is and I don't think she interests me very much. Family-guidance counseling and social service issues have never been high on my list of interests. But if either one of them is into golf architecture and flasks, then I'm there!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 09:46:07 AM by TEPaul »

Jeff Spittel

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2007, 09:57:19 AM »
Gentlemen,

Mr. Timberlake, although not my cup of tea musically, is enormously popular. My fiance recently informed me that he was  giving the business to Jessica Biel and Scarlett Johannson concurrently. Any guy who has that kind of taste in birds and golf seems like my kind of guy.
Fare and be well now, let your life proceed by its own design.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2007, 10:04:10 AM »
I would expect that when people such as Andy Williams and Glen Campbell first had their names attached to PGA events, that some of the older members around the club houses were making the some comments now being said about Jason Timberlake.

I do not listen to his music or any current pop music.  But I do read newspapers (New York Times and Wall Street Journal) and magazines (New Yorker and Smithsonian), and I certainly know who Jason Timberlake is, even though he is not a part of the entertainment world in which I partake.

But that is what he is, entertainment.  And one aspect of all professional sports is entertainment.  Especially the TV aspect.

So, no I do not think golf just got a lot worse.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

John Kirk

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 10:27:18 AM »
Like most of us here I have no interest in Jason Timberlake's music.  However, he's talented and a good athlete.  He hosted last year's Saturday Night Live Christmas show, which was clearly their top show last year.  He was very funny.  He also has a reputation for being an excellent basketball player.  Talented guy, and if he gets the golf bug, will certainly become a single digit handicapper.

Doug Wright

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 10:39:15 AM »
Like most of us here I have no interest in Jason Timberlake's music.  However, he's talented and a good athlete.  He hosted last year's Saturday Night Live Christmas show, which was clearly their top show last year.  He was very funny.  He also has a reputation for being an excellent basketball player.  Talented guy, and if he gets the golf bug, will certainly become a single digit handicapper.

John he's apparently an avid golfer with a 6 handicap.  He was the lead singer with the boy band N Sync and has gone solo (except with women I guess...). He does have talent if you like that sort of thing.

His publicist says he'd like to play a Tour event sometime (not as a guest as in the AT&T Crosby)--yeah right.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 10:40:15 AM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

George Pazin

« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 10:43:07 AM »
I guess Danny Gans wasn't available.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Doug Wright

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 10:47:04 AM »
I also wonder what's next--the Hannah Montana Weetabix with Frys LA Open?
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 11:04:30 AM »
I always figured I was one of the younger guys in the forum, but this thread surprised me a bit.  

Justin is uber-popular with the younger crowd, and has been mentioned before is very popular with all of the "top-end" ladies.  But he's much much more than a 1 trick pony.  He's not too far off from Elvis-like credentials at this point of his career as he sings, produces, acts, etc. If it helps with his image he was a member of the Mickey Mouse Club and thats where he got his start.  This link gives all the major details if you are interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Timberlake
« Last Edit: November 13, 2007, 11:05:55 AM by Kalen Braley »

Ted Kramer

« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2007, 11:09:49 AM »
He is an extremely popular young man with a ton of money and a pretty good reputation who is interested in golf. What is the downside? I say good for him and good for golf.

-Ted

Sam Sikes

Jay Flemma

« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2007, 12:02:46 PM »

Whaddya mean next?  That's pretty much what the women's british is called...but with wie playing the role of Montana...

Joe Bausch

« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2007, 12:22:16 PM »

Whaddya mean next?  That's pretty much what the women's british is called...but with wie playing the role of Montana...

Jay, did you read Joe Logan's blog recently to see the interview with Sean O'Hair?  Here is an interesting part from the blog where Sean doesn't mince any words:

On Michelle Wie…
She has already sunk. She’s done. It would be very difficult for her to come back. For her to come back, she is going to have to separate herself from her parents, unfortunately. Her parents are good people, nice, but they are a little hard on her. She needs to take responsibility for her own life. It’s her life, it’s not her parents life. She needs to take responsibility for what is going on.

All I know is she is 18 years old. She is an adult. She needs to start doing things on her own, taking responsibility for her own life, her own career. But it’s none of my business. I was in a situation like that. It’s not easy to get out from underneath that thumb.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2007, 12:43:12 PM »
Some of you guys sure are old...

He must want the increased publicity.

He was interviewed saying it was the greatest game.
How could this be bad for golf?  As long as he doesn't wear his hat sideways...

I wonder how some of you guys would have complained about when the Beatles first came ashore...  actually maybe some of y'all did.

:)
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back