News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Foley

Unique / One of a kind architecture features
« on: November 08, 2007, 09:41:54 PM »
Rather than thread-jack the discussion on originality, I wanted to ask what architecture features out there are true one of a kinds.

For example

- While unique the DA & Hell's Half Acre they have been copied.
- What about the Church pews from Oakmont? Are there others?
- What about the rock walls at Marion Golf club? I know of North Berwick, but they seem very different.
- The 3rd green at Kittansett, is ther another one completly surrounded by the beach?
- What about the tree in the middle of the green at Devils Paintbrush?
- National's windmill?

Are these truly unique? Are there others?

Don't even go to the jaws hole Stone Harbor!
Integrity in the moment of choice

Garland Bayley

Re:Unique / One of a kind architecture features
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 09:50:29 PM »
How about these two.

Dune bottom.

Dune top.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Joe Hancock

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 09:50:31 PM »
John,

I saw a tree in a green in northern Wisconsin, but I have no idea the name of the course. It was a brief visit, and quite forgettable.

I'll try to come up with other unique (in a good way?) features.

joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

CHrisB

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 10:07:11 PM »
There is a decent course in Magnolia, TX called High Meadow Ranch (built in 1999) that has a pretty nice church pews bunker with 8 pews that separates the 11th and 12th fairways.

Phil McDade

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 10:13:56 PM »
The sea stacks at Cullen, a links on the northeastern coast of Scotland halfway between Nairn and Fraserburgh. As mentioned in the Erin Hills Dells thread, a sea stack is used there to create a very good Dell hole.

See the use of them here:

http://www.golfarchitecturepictures.com/Web%20Galleries/Scotland/Cullen/index.htm

Adam Clayman

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 10:35:45 PM »
Thomas' sixth at the Riv.

Tillie's Tarantula at SFGC

Nevilles' commisioned 14th green at Pebble

Doak's E green

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

mark chalfant

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 10:59:55 PM »
Is there a volcano par 3  at CC of Buffalo,  in a quarry

the ROLLING  topography at White Bear Yacht club  in  Minnesota

Mike Hendren

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 11:23:55 PM »
For a few years we had two water traps flanking the par three second at Rolling Hills CC in Ripley, TN.  Amoeba shaped and about two feet deep.  Fantastic breeding ground for tadpoles and mosquitos.  Thankfully filled in after a couple of years.  

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Matt OBrien

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 12:02:51 AM »
I dont have any pics of this but I know there are some on here. The 17th at Black Creek with the 75yd green.

Jason Connor

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 12:32:18 AM »
There used to be a course in Western MD with a church pew bunker, but the bunker is no longer there.

The Mountain Club opened in Rawlings MD (South of Cumberland) around 1991.  I talked my way into a junior membership that was supposed to be reserved for adding kids to a single membership.  So I was a member for $100 the first 3 years, my last 2 years of high school and first year of college.

Anyway, the first hole was a short/medium length par 4 with a slight bend to the right.  But there weren't any trees or anything forcing you to play it as a dogleg.  Instead there was a church pew bunker on the inner side of the turn.

It was a fun set up. It basically made it a bit of a cape hole.  Play out to the left and have a longer shot in.  Or risk flying them and have an easy wedge in.

The course filed for bankruptcy -- I swear there were days I was the only person on the whole course.  Was bought, the new owners filed for bankruptcy.  Was bought again and it now exists as Fore Sisters Golf Course, a public course.

Amongst all the ownership turnover, the course went to hell and the church pew bunker ceased to exist.

But I hear it's solid financially at least.

The other interesting thing about this course: The 5th hole was a par-6.  That design feature is also gone.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 02:29:51 AM »
Cupp/Fought copied the church pew bunkers for the 8th and 9th at Langdon Farms, south of Portland, OR. They definitely also borrowed the double green/lake on 9 and 18 from one of the Grand Cypress courses.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 07:50:58 PM by Pete_Pittock »

SPDB

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 10:15:02 AM »
There are also church pews on the 13th at Olympic (Ocean).

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 10:36:49 AM »
As far as I can tell the great sea rushes on 10, 11, & 12 at Royal North Devon (Westward Ho!) are unique.  I'm not sure it is a feature anyone would want to copy.  They work at RND but don't think they would travel well.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

JESII

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 10:47:24 AM »
There may be holes similar, but I've never seen a par three (or any green complex for that matter) in the class of #11 at Country Club of Charleston...

Doug Ralston

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 04:55:03 PM »
See 'Tobacco Road'

Doug

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 05:01:34 PM »
Cupp/Fought copied the church pew bujnkers for the 8th and 9th at Langdon Farms, south of Portland, OR. They definitely also borrowed the double green/lake on 9 and 18 from one of the Grand Cypress courses.

We also have plans to go with some inverse pews on another course northeast of the Portland area. Not the classic huge bunker with raised pews of turf but rows of long bunkers. Looks great in plan, should be interesting to see what it looks like built.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 05:11:32 PM »
OK Ryan, I'll bite.

Who is we? Did I miss an employment announcement? Weren't you supposed to be back in school? I saw your pictures of the Japanese Garden in Portland. Did you come to Portland and not contact any of us?

Finally. What course NE of Portland?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

JESII

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 05:26:55 PM »
See 'Tobacco Road'

Doug

Doug,

I thought Royal New Kent would have to be unique until I saw Tobacco Road...both are really cool, but Strantz took himself out of this particular conversation.

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2007, 07:26:50 PM »
OK Ryan, I'll bite.

Who is we? Did I miss an employment announcement? Weren't you supposed to be back in school? I saw your pictures of the Japanese Garden in Portland. Did you come to Portland and not contact any of us?

Finally. What course NE of Portland?

I try to not whore myself out to the group.
 :) I was in Portland for 4 days on a class trip so I had absolutely no free time. The course does not have a definite name yet but from the pictures I have seen of the site and spending hours staring at the contour lines I would say its at least an 8.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 07:27:23 PM by Ryan Farrow »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2007, 07:44:19 PM »
Where's the site Ryan? Go too far NE of Portland and you are in the Cascade Mts. Is this just a class exercise? Or is someone actually planning to build a course?

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2007, 07:51:03 PM »
My comments about the course and the class trip are two unrelated events. Someone is actually building this.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2007, 07:54:14 PM »
The road hole at St. Andrews. The tee shot, the road, the wall.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2007, 08:07:54 PM »
Hesketh Golf Club in Southport, England has a hole which I haven't seen equalled. The short par 4 15th has an opening view to the green between two (artificial) dunes and the green is surrounded by a grassed waist high parapet.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 08:11:11 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back