News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

The Madison Club(T. Fazio) in LaQuinta, CA
« on: October 17, 2007, 03:11:12 PM »
This club was referenced in another thread by John Kirk and David Wigler:

From John Kirk:The Madison Club is a new Discovery Land development in La Quinta, CA, which features a Tom Fazio golf course.  It is built down in the valley, and millions of cubic yards of sand and dirt were moved to transform the course into a rolling terrain with something like 25-40 feet of elevation change.  If I'm not mistaken, a barranca, or large trench, perhaps 20-25 feet deep, was built through the property, and the excess dirt was used to shape the course.

The course has large features.  Big fairways, big greens, big bunkers, and lots of water hazards.  The bunkering is ornate, with carefully trimmed edges.  I don't remember a single blind shot.  The course is not quite designed to be walkable, due to two, maybe three long walks and a few medium length walks from green to tee, which will prevent most from doing so.

The service level is already legendary, with stories of over the top service already filtering through the community there.

I didn't play the course, and I tend to like courses on more interesting land, but there is much to admire here.  The fairways are really wide, allowing some decision making on approach angles.  I did not see any par 4s I felt were driveable, but I don't hit it that far.

Some of the privacy berms were covered with flowers.  I'd say I saw a hundred thousand annual flowering plants out there, and I don't think I'm exaggerating.  Maybe only fifty thousand.

So the Madison Club is a modern day Shadow Creek type effort, with all the bells and whistles attached.  It's really wild, and not really my type of course, but I'm sure it's a gas to play.

From David Wigler:

My guess is that the Madison Club was either not eligible or did not have enough raters to be statistically relevant.  It is very rare that a course blows me away and this one did.  I am an unabashed Fazio lover and this course instantly was one of my top three Fazio's ever.  I believe (Prepare for GCA heresy) that it is better than Bandon Trails and the only Fazio's I have played that are its equals are Victoria National and Shadow Creek.  I would be shocked if once it gets some raters out (Should it choose to allow them) it did not end up a bulletproof top 50 course in the country and the #1 rated course in the Palm Springs area - I really think it is that good.

PS - The land is extremely interesting - you are correct that there is elevation all over the property.  It was completely man made but no less interesting (Like Whistling Straits).

Here is the website featuring an interview with Fazio and the developer showing some construction and the barranca/creek:

www.madisonclubca.com/the_making_of_madison/
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

bakerg

Re:The Madison Club(T. Fazio) in LaQuinta, CA
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 07:52:21 PM »
Steve/John,

I have a friend who I believe is a member of this club.  Let me check with them on their thoughts.  This friend is a big fan of the C& C courses so I will be curious to hear their opinion of Madison.  

David Wigler

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 08:57:38 PM »
The course resembles Shadow Creek in that a huge hole was dug and the course shaped below the desert floor to give the feeling of movement in the property.  The conditioning is very similar to Shadow Creek back in the day.  The biggest difference I found between the two is that this is much more like a Country Club than Shadow Creek.  It has challenge and strategy, where Shadow is mostly just beautiful.  As well, Fazio has IMO gotten much more creative with his green complexes the last two years and this course bears that benefit.  

This course requires a lot of thought in how to approach the holes and it is hard to concentrate in such an amazingly beautiful setting.  This is the second course (Cypress Point being the other) that I truly believe is a 10 as far as Walk in the Park.  It is not the golf course that Cypress is but the atmosphere, challenge, beauty, enjoyment of the round and the surrounds, etc. make it the perfect place for a guy who simply loves to play golf.

I am not saying it is as good as Cypress, to be clear - Cypress I think is the best course in the US, Madison I believe is somewhere between 20 - 50.  That written, if I was told that I could only play one course the rest of my life, Madison is on the very short list of courses that I would agree to that deal on.

How is that for an over-the-top review.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 08:59:21 PM by David Wigler »
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Daryl David

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 09:59:08 PM »
That is a very impressive recommendation!  Those of us that play in the Coachella valley are not used to anyone raving about the golf courses. Up to now, Stone Eagle has been the exception to that rule.  I look forward to seeing The Madison Club.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 11:14:08 PM »
That is a very impressive recommendation!  Those of us that play in the Coachella valley are not used to anyone raving about the golf courses. Up to now, Stone Eagle has been the exception to that rule.  I look forward to seeing The Madison Club.

Stone Eagle?

You have to be kidding.

I would pay not to play it.

Bob

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 12:29:22 AM »
Honestly, how sweet is that fruit stand? I hear they have sushi too?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 09:12:28 AM by Ryan Farrow »

John Kirk

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 01:01:31 AM »

Stone Eagle?

You have to be kidding.

I would pay not to play it.

Bob

I heard you played two holes and walked off, on that fateful 110 degree day, where a GCA outing attempted to play Stone Eagle after playing The Plantation in the morning.  Although it is prohibitively hilly for walking, I say the shot values and scenery are worth paying for.  Especially since I paid for it.  

Back on topic:

Steve, thanks for including my comments.  Hopefully a few more people will comment.  It's really something, the new Shadow Creek.  I might wangle my way back over there next winter.  I'd love to play it.

Tom Birkert

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 04:25:20 PM »
I too have heard very good things about this place from a friend who is a member there. I didn't get the chance to play it when I was last out there as it had closed for the summer, but I am looking forward to playing it on my next trip over.

Although obviously completely unnatural I enjoyed Tradition and The Quarry and Hideaway is a great place to spend time.

I have not played Stone Eagle so can't comment.

Kevin_Reilly

Re: The Madison Club(T. Fazio) in LaQuinta, CA
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2009, 06:40:09 PM »
A friend of mine played Madison Club recently.  Raved about the "experience" and conditioning.  Apparently the service to members is over the top.

Have any board members played the course?  The developer wanted to create something like Riviera or Bel Air, according the attached:

Video:  http://www.madisonclubca.com/the_making_of_madison/

Text:  http://www.madisonclubca.com/developer/
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

David Stamm

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2009, 06:56:41 PM »
A friend of mine played Madison Club recently.  Raved about the "experience" and conditioning.  Apparently the service to members is over the top.

Have any board members played the course?  The developer wanted to create something like Riviera or Bel Air, according the attached:

Video:  http://www.madisonclubca.com/the_making_of_madison/

Text:  http://www.madisonclubca.com/developer/

I mean no offense to you, Kevin, but this guy Mike Meldman is just, well, brilliant. :P

"The most important component of real estate is the land." Wow. Earth shattering. ::)

I love how Fazio descirbes the land as a special property and Meldman describes as just flat. Meldman wated Fazio to give him Bel Air? He must know that Bel Air looks more like Madison now than the other way around.  :'( I wonder why. >:(
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 12:54:22 AM »
I saw this evening where Marky Mark and Fred Couples have a playing lessons show coming up.....MM had all of his Madison Club gear on, and the course in the background looked like the two headed love child of the 18th at Southern Highlands and the 11th at Bel Air.....and those faux wicker baskets were a dead giveaway!

I will not be watching the show due to my unwavering allegiance to the Funky Bunch. What a shame that Wahlberg ditched those guys; they were really growing as artists.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 01:01:10 AM by Jon Spaulding »
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2009, 08:08:08 AM »
I've played the Madison Club before, as my uncle is a member. It is a pretty neat club, and the golf course is pretty darn good, however I'm not sure many on here would be big supporters.

I would agree with the previous statement that Fazio, in the last 3-4 years, has gotten far better with his green complexes. The Madison Club would be evidence of this, along with Forest Creek-North.
H.P.S.

John Kirk

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2009, 02:02:08 PM »
Madison intrigues me.  I wish a couple of the green to tee distances were shorter.  Five years from now, the biggest problem may be that the average member has gained 50 pounds, as a result of the 4,000 calorie rounds.

I saw this evening where Marky Mark and Fred Couples have a playing lessons show coming up.....MM had all of his Madison Club gear on, and the course in the background looked like the two headed love child of the 18th at Southern Highlands and the 11th at Bel Air.....and those faux wicker baskets were a dead giveaway!

I will not be watching the show due to my unwavering allegiance to the Funky Bunch. What a shame that Wahlberg ditched those guys; they were really growing as artists.

Can we expect Johnny Drama to put in a plug for his acting abilities?  Turtle to chaffeur the players around in a cart?

You are not completely well, my friend.  I like it.

tlavin

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2009, 02:05:52 PM »
Madison intrigues me.  I wish a couple of the green to tee distances were shorter.  Five years from now, the biggest problem may be that the average member has gained 50 pounds, as a result of the 4,000 calorie rounds.

Can we expect Johnny Drama to put in a plug for his acting abilities?  Turtle to chaffeur the players around in a cart?

You gotta like a guy who can name-drop Johnny Drama and Turtle in a thread about a golf course.  While we're at it, let me suggest an Ari Gold punching dummy stationed as one enters the 19th Hole to release tension.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 11:41:19 PM »

You gotta like a guy who can name-drop Johnny Drama and Turtle in a thread about a golf course.  While we're at it, let me suggest an Ari Gold punching dummy stationed as one enters the 19th Hole to release tension.

TL, I'm thanking God you didn't mention Lloyd in that last sentence......

JK, please elaborate on the 4,000 calorie round. That sounds promising.

John Kirk

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2009, 12:24:57 AM »
We love Lloyd here at home.  He's funny.

Apparently, they feed you at the Madison Club all the way around.

I like the golf course, based on what I've seen.  I'd like to play it sometime, and should get a chance one of these days.

Patrick Hodgdon

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 01:06:51 AM »
Won't Lloyd be caddying?  ;D I just hope he wears his Andre 3000 look.

I caddied for one of the guys who works for Discovery and he said this place really is out of this world. Some of the things I heard were that they had professional pianists in tuxes playing on the driving range when it opened and that you can order anything in the entire world for dinner and they'll helicopter in the right ingredients from LA by the time your round is over and make it.

Not sure how much of that is true but sure sounds out of this world.

Also I know they use CSI caddies there and will only hire the top VIP caddies from the other CSI courses to come work at The Madison Club.
Did you know World Woods has the best burger I've ever had in my entire life? I'm planning a trip back just for another one between rounds.

"I would love to be a woman golfer." -JC Jones

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2009, 05:54:26 PM »
Won't Lloyd be caddying?  ;D I just hope he wears his Andre 3000 look.

I caddied for one of the guys who works for Discovery and he said this place really is out of this world. Some of the things I heard were that they had professional pianists in tuxes playing on the driving range when it opened and that you can order anything in the entire world for dinner and they'll helicopter in the right ingredients from LA by the time your round is over and make it.

Not sure how much of that is true but sure sounds out of this world.

Also I know they use CSI caddies there and will only hire the top VIP caddies from the other CSI courses to come work at The Madison Club.

Who cares about GCA when you can hit balls to your favorite showtunes on the range. I wonder what they'd do if Hannibal Lector showed up for dinner.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2009, 12:31:16 AM »
Frankly, it all sounds like wretched excess.

Bob

PThomas

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2009, 12:35:13 AM »
and that you can order anything in the entire world for dinner and they'll helicopter in the right ingredients from LA by the time your round is over and make it.

someone should show up and order a bologna sandwich just to see their reactions...

199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2009, 10:17:55 AM »
John Kirk. I can't believe you missed an op to charge Bob for not playing. And, isn't David Wigler pre-disposed to not liking BT? ;) for those prefer golf in a natural setting with features that compliment that naturalness BT has few rivals.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Sean Leary

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2009, 10:45:05 AM »

Bob

I know a few different people who have been there, and they all basically said it's just too much. Course is really good, but the other stuff is WAY over the top.

John Kirk

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2009, 11:26:40 AM »

Bob

Succinct?  Check.
Accurate?  Check.
Funny?  Check.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 11:43:29 AM by John Kirk »

Steve_ Shaffer

« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 12:47:44 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Daryl David

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2016, 03:17:50 PM »
That little bungalow?  Too small. I have my sights set on the $32 million one at the end of the range.  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back