News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Ed Tilley

N.Ireland trip recommendations
« on: October 17, 2007, 04:38:33 AM »
I am currently planning a trip to N.Ireland for next March. We are going in March as my brother is getting married in April, and we are all just a bunch of cheapskates who don't want to pay 130 pounds to play RCD or Royal Portrush.

My outline itinerary is to stay 3 nights, two in the Portrush / Portstewart area, and one in the Newcastle / RCD area. We would play RCD, Portrush and Portstewart. We would like to play 2 rounds on one day (in the Portrush area) - should we play the Valley course, another round on the Dunluce, or possibly Castlerock?

I would also like some hotel recommendations. I have stayed at the Slieve Donard before. Are there any other decent hotels in the area? The Slieve Donard is probably a bit up market for our group - given that it is the week before my brother's wedding there is a chance that there may be some Guinness and Bushmills consumed.

In the north, there appears to be much more choice. Does anyone have any positive (or negative) reviews of hotels in the area.

I would very much appreciate any comments as there is only so much information you can glean from books or websites - personal experience is much more valuable.

Ed

K. Krahenbuhl

Re:N.Ireland trip recommendations
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 04:44:38 AM »
Ed,

When at Portrush I would highly recommend that you play the Valley course as well.  When charged a 'second round' rate to play there I remember it being one of the best values in golf.

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 05:05:41 AM »
Ed

You could stay in the Bushmills Inn in Bushmills not too far down the road from Portrush and get to see where the golden liquid is made as well.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 06:32:47 AM »
If there was ever a post crying out for a Tom Huckaby post about his cousin at Castlerock, this is it. See Thomas, the Irish version has to be a character.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 08:59:39 AM »
We stayed at the Linksview B&B in Castlerock (Huckster's cousin's place) during our recent trip there.  It's really now a ""B" only as they are no longer serving any food.  This is a problem as there is literally no food served in Castlerock!  I met a guy at the Walker Cup who lives there and asked him about dining options in Castlerock.  "Hopeless," says he, and he was right!

The good news is the place is very clean, a short walk to the first tee at the very solid Castlerock course, and is very affordable.  We bought breakfast stuff at the grocery store 1/2 a block away.   Everything to play in that area is within a half hour of Castlerock.  Dining options that do work are the Wine Bar in Portrush - busy and trendy - and the really good Asian restaurant, Water Garden, in Coleraine, which is 15 minutes from either Castlerock or Portrush.  It's the regional center of the area but back off the ocean so nae gowf.

mike_malone

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 09:38:37 AM »
 Stayed at Bushmills Inn--loved it. Its numerous turf fireplaces give you a feel for rural Ireland. The hospitality was outstanding. We arrived after a long day that started at RCD in the morning . We ended at RPR with mostly borrowed clubs because our  bus was broken into the night before in Newcastle.

The N.Ireland Tourist Board was very helpful by buying us lunch for trip from RCD to RPR. And they also arranged a few free drinks at the Bushmills that night.

The Glassdrumun (sp) south of Newcastle was an upscale place we stayed in on my first visit. Another time we stayed at a B+B north of Newcastle with "View" in its name.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 09:42:34 AM by michael_malone »
AKA Mayday

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 09:42:11 AM »
If there was ever a post crying out for a Tom Huckaby post about his cousin at Castlerock, this is it. See Thomas, the Irish version has to be a character.

Mike, I tried that last week but to no avail.  He can’t be feeling very well. ;D

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=31608

Ed if you're looking for a lively place to stay.
http://www.theanchorbar.co.uk/     Portstewart

Let's make GCA grate again!

Ed Tilley

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2007, 09:50:19 AM »
Tony,

I've seen The Anchor Bar - it looks like it might be the perfect place. Have you stayed there? Are you planning on staying there on your trip?

Ed

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 12:17:35 PM »
Ed I have the use of a cousins house in Strand Road Portstewart, which is just around the corner from the Anchor.  Spent many a happy night in there.

(PS leave it standing will you, I'll be there in April)
Let's make GCA grate again!

ward peyronnin

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 12:18:06 PM »
Ed

I have stayed/played in the Portrush area twice in the last year. Hillrise B&B is a very good in town location and the owner is very helpful and engaging and she is a golfer. Maddybenny B&b is more equestrian, less expensive and not as nice but very decent. The Wine Bar down in the Harbor is the place to dine.

Ballyliffin ( Old)is a 1:45 minute drive but very enjoyable. The Valley course is really quite good if you want an easy 36 hole day.

Have a great time; the golf is great
Ward
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Roger Tufts

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 12:38:23 PM »
Ed

You could stay in the Bushmills Inn in Bushmills not too far down the road from Portrush and get to see where the golden liquid is made as well.

Bushmills Inn is about 20 minutes or less from the Portrush courses... and its a very nice little spot.

We stayed there this past summer, I would recommend it. Very old-style feel, and you get to drink a nice pint sitting in old wooden rocking chairs by a crackling fire. What more could you ask for in a golf vacation to Northern Ireland?

It gets my vote.

You could also look into playing Ardglass if you want to push 36 on the RCD day... its within driving distance.
Cornell University '11 - Tedesco Country Club - Next Golf Vacation: Summer 2015 @ Nova Scotia & PEI (14 Rounds)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back