News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Michael Dugger

Name the architect...
« on: October 16, 2007, 07:01:15 PM »
WITHOUT CHEATING by right clicking on the image and viewing 'properties' who can tell me the designer of these courses....

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Paul Carey

Re:Name the architect...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 07:03:06 PM »
RTJ Jr.

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 07:07:32 PM »
the second one looks like May River, so Jack Nicklaus
another looks like a Nicklaus course in Cabo
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Greg Tallman

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 07:10:26 PM »
None from Cabo... right country though.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007, 07:56:10 PM »
I like the first hole
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007, 08:41:09 PM »
The last 2 pics look to be from somewhere along the coast of the Mar de Cortés. Looks to me like the northern part...but could be a lot of places actually. I like the look...sort of...but a little less work would have yielded more, IMO.  

Roger Tufts

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 09:03:18 PM »
I like the first hole

I agree. I've never liked the use of waterfalls on golf courses (Trump....) but that actually looks... at least ALMOST natural if not completely.

The last two pictures are very nice too. Looks pretty natural as well... i like it.
Cornell University '11 - Tedesco Country Club - Next Golf Vacation: Summer 2015 @ Nova Scotia & PEI (14 Rounds)

Kirk Gill

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007, 11:56:09 PM »
The first one looks like a set from "Survivor." I like the rest of them, particularly that third one. That one makes me think Nicklaus...........just the way the green is presented.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Tim Bert

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2007, 12:02:29 AM »
The first one is WAY too busy for my eye.  It looks like something from one of the "fantasy" courses on a golf video game.  That being said, I find it strangely appealing.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007, 12:08:35 AM »
Not Forrest.  Right?
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Jordan Wall

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007, 12:23:44 AM »
Michael,

I just cheated.

And my guess was wrong.
Pleasantly surprised though, because its good to see that type of look in his courses.
Those courses look darn good.

The second picture does remind me though, of that one golf course by C&C that is in India...I think...a while ago there were some pictures of the course.

MHiserman

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007, 02:53:41 AM »
From the first photo, Texas...Hill Country, Jack.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 02:54:30 AM by MHiserman »
"Whether my schedule for the next day called for a tournament round or a trip to the practice tee, the prospect that there was going to be golf in it made me feel priviledged and extremely happy, and I couldn't wait for the sun to come up the next morning so that I could get on the course"-BH

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007, 07:13:11 AM »
The first two are Nicklaus ... the Hills of Lakeway (+/- 20 years old) and May River.  I'll guess the last two are Jack's as well, but I don't like them nearly as much ... they look way too "busy".

TEPaul

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007, 08:22:09 AM »
Personally I've always thought claiming who the architect of a hole or course is by just looking at the architecture is a most inexact science, to say the least. Perhaps about as scientific as a dart throw. ;)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007, 10:34:38 AM »
Tom P:

That's true, but there are some guys who are very very good at darts.

Sean Leary

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2007, 10:49:52 AM »
Michael,

I just cheated.

Shocking, Mr. Mulligan.

Trey Kemp

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2007, 11:10:21 AM »
I know the first one is hole #16 from Cordillera Ranch in Boerne, TX by Nicklaus.  The course opened earlier this year.
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Randy Thompson

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2007, 11:55:44 AM »
The first is a good example of how on Par 3's your basically left with an art challenge and they definetly hit a homerun here, almost too much eye candy, if there is such a thing. The second is the best for me, nothing forced, nothing artificial, no gimmicks, I am definetly impressed with that hole. In conclusion, even a broken clock is right twice a day!

Michael Dugger

« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2007, 12:45:33 PM »
The first two are Nicklaus ... the Hills of Lakeway (+/- 20 years old) and May River.  I'll guess the last two are Jack's as well, but I don't like them nearly as much ... they look way too "busy".

You get 1/2 credit, Tom, and I am quite amazed, to be honest, you didn't nail it considering your 'photographic memory' as puned by some golf writer. ;)

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007, 04:59:02 PM »
The second looks like the conncession by Nicklas/Jacklin

I'm liking hole number 4!
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007, 04:59:46 PM by Matthew Hunt »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2007, 08:49:53 PM »
Michael D:

My photographic memory cannot be expected to name a course I haven't seen before, if one of the photos is of The Concession.

John_Cullum

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2007, 10:13:43 PM »
I say the last is a Post Collaboration Nicklaus
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2007, 10:25:44 PM »
Pics 3 and 4 have to be someone in the Jones kibbutz...those bunkers have 1st cousins at Grande Dunes (Resort) in Myrtle Beach, a very mediocre effort by Roger Rulewich (IMHO).
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back