News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Bennett

Re:Valley Club-Does anyone know the progress?
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2007, 06:59:37 PM »
Another Valley Club hole - #14 (short par 3) with the #1 green and hole directly behind.  Looking forward to the comments.

The temporary green prepared for the current greens work can be seen at the bottom.

James B
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 07:00:32 PM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

David Stamm

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2007, 07:17:04 PM »
Looks very much like some of the green sites at CPC. How far does the green extend to the bunker on the left (top one)? It certainly looks like you got CPC-like weather, which is normal since the micro-climates are very alike. Keep 'em coming if you have more James.  :)
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2007, 07:17:57 PM »
James:

The bridge and path were on the left of the hole originally, but we couldn't restore that without a federal permit.  Interestingly, planting the new oak on the right was a spur-of-the-moment suggestion on my part ... it just seemed to have so much impact on the original hole that I asked if we could try to replace it.  (The original tree was wiped out in a flood.)  The green chairman  agreed it would be cool and they went out and bought a good-sized tree.

David:

The 11th hole had been wiped out by the flood mentioned above well before the Challenge Golf match, in fact all three holes which had been changed (11, 15 and 18) were done before then.  We relied on a great set of old photos from the early 1930's, and on the as-built map referred to above.

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2007, 07:59:16 PM »
James

I'm not sure you could call the 14th a short par 3 ;D. (medium maybe)

Playing The Valley Club for the first time in the late 90's had a big effect on me, it's such a joy to play.

The before and after restoration pictures of the 15th made one of the biggest architectural impressions on me.

The course has so many great features, for one it was ingenious to use the two close hills for the site of the par 3 tees 4, 8 and 11.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

James Bennett

« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2007, 11:06:29 PM »
Padraig

Re the two close hills for the use of the par-threes.

I recall one of Tom Doak's answers to discussion about possible architectural styles.  I had noted that there are times when MacKenzie gets a degree of congestion in his routing.  The hub-and-spoke style that MacKenzie often uses, with holes and tees adjacent to each other (think of Valley Club and these par 3's and the adjacent par 4's, think of CPC and the #3, #6, #9 and #11 green complex, think of Alwoodley #6, #13, and #7, #14 greens) are examples of this.

Tom's comment was that MacKenzie endeavoured to use the best features available as much as possible.

When I look at his re-routing at Royal Adelaide, the most congestion occurs because the greens are located near the best sites.  Again, think of #3 green to #4 tee-shot to #6 green/#7 hole to #12 hole to #8 tee to #11 green (the crater).  Even the congestion of #15 green and the line of play on #18 tee-shot is due to the great feature selected for #15 green.

David, I may post some more Valley Club photos later tonight.  There are a number of back bunkers, not as severely flashed up as some at Pasa and Cypress Point, but similar to others.  I have a couple of close-up photos showing the proximity of the bunker to the putting surface.  Some are very adjacent to the green edge with short grass all the way, others are a bit further away (more like Augusta #13) perhaps with some long grass intervening (IIRC).

James B
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 11:07:04 PM by James Bennett »
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

James Bennett

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2007, 09:03:59 AM »
The Valley Club of Monteceito Par 3's.  # of them play from near each other, from points around/on a single hill but to greens in different directions.  The other (#14) is on the clubhouse side of the road).  One is downhill (#4) and the others are relatively level although #8 and #14 have big gullies between tee and green.  All are mid-length - 150 to 170 yards (I think).

#11 (previously posted)

#14 (previously posted)

James B

David Stamm

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2007, 01:57:24 PM »
Thanks for posting these James! 8 looks especially neat.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

archie_struthers

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2007, 03:09:47 PM »

;) :D 8)

that picture James posted of #14 bears an eerie resemblance to #11 and #16  greens at Philadelphia CC (Spring Mill) that was designed by the great Philly architect William Flynn.

Are you out there Wayne, TEP. Isn't it uncanny how similar it looks?

wsmorrison

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2007, 09:14:12 PM »
Archie,

Here's a photo of the 11th and 16th greens from the 16th fairway.  For those that don't know, the 11th is approached from an elevated tee to off the top right edge of the photo.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back