News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JESII

Re:Joshua Crane proposed a revision of 1st at TOC
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2007, 12:08:43 PM »
Guys, this is an interesting conversation, but if it is over I would be greatly disappointed. I have no interest in discussing who I have played through in my life...sadly, there is not much of substance I can offer so I'm just hitching a ride...

First, if you think the penal v. strategic is a not useful way to describe diffrent types of courses, then by all means stop using them. You may have already done so. What you got in mind that is better? What would your term be for those courses that are the least strategic on your scale?

Unless, of course, you think all courses offer equally interesting shot choices.

Bob

Bob,

This reads to me like my initial thoughts were correct that penal and strategic are just different degrees of the same idea...where did I go wrong?

Ken Moum

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2007, 12:11:39 PM »
Fascinating how artists, writers, musicians throughout time have tried to perfect their crafts and to understand and seek perfection, and yet only after trying for years do they realize that that's not the goal at all; the imperfections and the art are tied too closely together.

"In anything at all, perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away, when a body has been stripped down to its nakedness." -- Antoine De Saint Exupery
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

wsmorrison

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2007, 12:20:15 PM »
Sully,

I am finding this a fascinating topic and one that I hope will keep going, especially as Bob Crosby comes across more information.  A friend of mine at Cambridge is helping with some resources and some investigations but it is really going to take Bob to go over to London and do some painstaking page turning.  This subject merits the hard work and I applaud Bob for his passion to explore this for us.

I hope the article with the photos I posted of Crane's proposed changes to TOC are a small part of an article that goes much deeper into his concepts allowing us to dig deeper into the debate.  If anyone overseas has access to the article, perhaps they can post it on this thread.

As for penal versus strategic, the debate continues.  I think I'm beginning to understand but I have a ways to go.

Pat,

"Wayne,

Did Crane ever explain, in detail, why he felt changes were necessary and how his revised configuration would address the reasons for the proposed changes ?

If you go to the USGA library site and search for Joshua Crane, you will find some really interesting articles that shed some light on this.  Field magazine, according to Bob, has much more.

I could see someone suggesting amendments to the current green surrounds, long of Swilcan Burn, but, I can't for the life of me see the benefit of moving and reconfiguring the green as he recommends.

I'd be curious to know his reasoning

It would seem that he wanted to define a preferred line of play off the tee.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 03:07:34 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2007, 12:41:56 PM »
"Bob
I tired to simplify things so even a Harvard graduate could understand them, but I tragically failed.  Let's try to make it simpler:"

Richard the magnificently obtuse:

The typo of your second word is both hilarious and incredibly apropos of this point you've been making for so long on this subject!   ;)

Tom

I've tired and tired to explain to you the difference between and typo and a tyop, but you refuse to listen.  Go to the back of the calss.

BCrosby

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2007, 01:05:31 PM »
JES -

No.

Penal design is about shot testing. Period. Full stop. On a good penal course, each shot is separately tested or "controlled," as the Dark Prince used to say.

It is an atomistic theory of golf design. For the slower Stanford graduates in the room, that means that penal designs focus on the testing of each shot independently of how that shot may relate to other shots.

What is interesting is that on a good penal course, "holes" are largely irrelevant. Crane, in fact, thought the concept of a "hole" was to be avoided as it might lead to "prejudicing" his assessment of how well each distinctive architectural feature tested a player's shot-making abilities.

Since the key issue is testing each shot, a true "penologist" (Crane was not that, btw) might argue that golf courses are irrelevant. You could take the competitors to a field, mark it off with lines, and measure how well each player did on various sorts of skill tests. There is nothing logically inconsistent with that and what a penal golf course is supposed to do.

For strategic architects, the "hole" is everything. Yes execution matters, but it matters primarily in how one shot ties to the next. Penalites ought to be severe on strategic courses, but they also ought to be avoidable. At a price. How you manage that choice will have a bearing on your next shot or the shot after that.

Strategic designs break the one to one correspondence between physical perfomance and outcomes. They do that by interjecting the notion that thinking your way through a hole can change when and how you address the architectural hazards presented.

That's a different architectural universe. In one case, execution is everything. End of questions. For the other, execution is a variable that figures into a larger set of decisions. Does that make sense?

Nonetheless, most all courses contain elements of both.    

Bob

TEPaul

« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2007, 01:09:20 PM »
"I could see someone suggesting amendments to the current green surrounds, long of Swilcan Burn, but, I can't for the life of me see the benefit of moving and reconfiguring the green as he recommends.

I'd be curious to know his reasoning"

Patrick:

If one reads the articles by Crane on how to analyze and evaluate architecture and old courses one can't miss that he was very fond of the diagonal (line) in golf architecture. His favorite feature which he mentions a number of times was the double diagonal.

One can clearly see that he was proposing the diagonal line for the green front orientation on the 1st at TOC.

The reason for that was probably just as Wayne said---eg he felt it made the tee shot more strategic.

There is one thing that I have not found mentioned much by Crane, if at all, and that is the factor of the wind in how it affects courses and architecture, particularly in the linksland. I would guess that may be because factoring something like that into a "mathematical" formula to analyze the quality of architecture would be remarkably inexact if even possible.  ;)

It also could've been that at that time I'm not sure that Crane even had that much personal experience playing TOC.

It also seems that Crane was not much of a fan of the incredibly rumpled ground of a course like TOC. In his mind that was probably something that produced too much unfair happenstance----what some might call "luck"---eg bad luck if one hit it theoretically in the right area .  ;)

The thing I find interesting about Crane, who was apparently quite the opinionated and strong-willed type, was that his reaction to those who criticized both him and his mathematical system was not to question the fact that it was mathematical.

He seemed to feel applying a mathematical formula to golf architecture to analyze its quality was simply a given and one beyond question. What he hoped the result of his efforts would be was to get others to discuss perhaps the criterion he was using in the mathematics.

I think he was probably fairly shocked that the likes of Behr and Mackenzie, Macdonald et al simply said it is of no use at all to apply a mathematical formula to test the quality of golf course architecture.

His only response to that seemed to be that they were consequently attacking him personally and that they were not sticking to the point (the usefulness of analyzing the quality of architecture via mathematics).

By the way, does that last point of simply responding that responses are not sticking to the point sound familiar to you?  ;)

David Stamm

« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2007, 01:15:51 PM »
JES -

No.

Penal design is about shot testing. Period. Full stop. On a good penal course, each shot is separately tested or "controlled," as the Dark Prince used to say.

It is an atomistic theory of golf design. For the slower Stanford graduates in the room, that means that penal designs focus on the testing of each shot independently of how that shot may relate to other shots.

What is interesting is that on a good penal course, "holes" are largely irrelevant. Crane, in fact, thought the concept of a "hole" was to be avoided as it might lead to "prejudicing" his assessment of how well each distinctive architectural feature tested a player's shot-making abilities.

Since the key issue is testing each shot, a true "penologist" (Crane was not that, btw) might argue that golf courses are irrelevant. You could take the competitors to a field, mark it off with lines, and measure how well each player did on various sorts of skill tests. There is nothing logically inconsistent with that and what a penal golf course is supposed to do.

For strategic architects, the "hole" is everything. Yes execution matters, but it matters primarily in how one shot ties to the next. Penalites ought to be severe on strategic courses, but they also ought to be avoidable. At a price. How you manage that choice will have a bearing on your next shot or the shot after that.

Strategic designs break the one to one correspondence between physical perfomance and outcomes. They do that by interjecting the notion that thinking your way through a hole can change when and how you address the architectural hazards presented.

That's a different architectural universe. In one case, execution is everything. End of questions. For the other, execution is a variable that figures into a larger set of decisions. Does that make sense?

Nonetheless, most all courses contain elements of both.    

Bob

Bob, this is one of the best posts I have ever read on here. Absolutely fantastic!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #57 on: October 09, 2007, 01:42:59 PM »
David, agreed. And thanks as well to Tom, Wayne, Richard, Tommy et al; geez, you guys are smart! And Sean's post I think was really good too, bringing the question to a very nice, practical level.  

A narrow fairway
Execute THE shot or not
But not much choice there

Peter
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 01:49:04 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #58 on: October 09, 2007, 02:31:57 PM »
Bob

If you think of golf as a game in which a player intereacts with a playing field, the player chooses and executes some sort of strategy on every shot he or she plays.  Depending on his choice, his execution and pure chance, he finds himself in another position and the process begins again. The penal aspects of the playing field, which exist on all courses are just a part of the landscape, and affect the strategy of all players differently, depending on thier skill, their propensity for risk, and what side of bed they got out of that morning.  So do the non-penal aspects (the Elysian Fields of golfdom).

To call a golf course penal is tautological.  Of course it is.  They all are, in some way or other.  To call a course strategic, even using your meaning of the word, is also tautological.  They all are.

If you amended your last sentence to read...

"Nonetheless, all courses contain elements of both."

...I'd be happier, but I'd still wonder what all the fuss is about.

TEPaul

« Reply #59 on: October 09, 2007, 09:46:33 PM »
Richard Farnsworth Goodale said:

"Bob
If you think of golf as a game in which a player intereacts with a playing field, the player chooses and executes some sort of strategy on every shot he or she plays.  Depending on his choice, his execution and pure chance, he finds himself in another position and the process begins again. The penal aspects of the playing field, which exist on all courses are just a part of the landscape, and affect the strategy of all players differently, depending on thier skill, their propensity for risk, and what side of bed they got out of that morning.  So do the non-penal aspects (the Elysian Fields of golfdom).
To call a golf course penal is tautological.  Of course it is.  They all are, in some way or other.  To call a course strategic, even using your meaning of the word, is also tautological.  They all are.
If you amended your last sentence to read...
"Nonetheless, all courses contain elements of both."
...I'd be happier, but I'd still wonder what all the fuss is about."

Richard the Magnificent:

That post is positively fantastic and it is one of the reasons you truly are (or can be) magnificent!

However, it most certainly is a bit depthy----perhaps too depthy for this board---but that is one reason you can sometimes be pretty magnificent--eg because you can get depthy in a productive and intelligent way. ;)

In my opinion, the word "tautological" is the meat of the idea that holds this sticky (or contrary-wise eely) subject of "penal" vs "strategic" either together in the minds of some or at bey in the minds of others, and you were very clever to use it in your post.

(I'm afraid that most contributors to and viewers of this thread will need to look up first the definition of "tautological" and following that to have to very seriously consider the meaning and applicablity of the word in this thread and subject. Nevertheless, your use and inclusion of it in this thread and discussion is most appropriate).

However, (if we are still on the same page, at this point ;) ) I think, once again, you misread both Bob Crosby and others who are making points about the differences and distinctions between "penal" vs "strategic" architecture or even what Crane or Behr may've meant by either penal or strategic.

The point that Bob Crosby made above in that vein is this stuff, and this debate, in the minds and times of Crane and Behr (and certainly in our times) are not just simple examples of black and white---but that they really do fall into that area between them of gray.

And what does that really mean if one applies the concept or definition of "tautology" to all this?

(Let me supply a pretty good definition of tautology at this point---eg "Logic: a law that can be shown on the basis of certain rules to exlude no logical possibilities".)

So what does that definition mean to this subject and discussion?

To me it means that Crosby is right (and so probably are  you)---eg that this debate about "penal" vs "strategic" in golf architecture and even in the debate between Behr and Crane is definitely NOT a black and white kind of thing and that there are elements of both the penal and strategic in all holes and all courses but the ultimate point is that this idea is a matter of DEGREE in any hole or course and that IS the real point of their argument with each other whether they fully realized it or not. I'm afraid this ultimate point is one that you are not seeing, but maybe I'm wrong about that. ;)

The trick is for us is to figure out what those strategic elements in architecture were that both Behr and Crane philosophically agreed upon and what the penal elements were that they disagreed on, and why. Or perhaps I should even go and and say that we need to figure out what the strategic elements were that Behr and Crane disagreed on and what those penal elements were that they agreed on!

I have just reread the appropriate articles of both and I think I have AN answer on those questions. Perhaps maybe not THE answer but AN answer nonetheless. ;)

And perhaps it is even possible that both Behr and Crane (and people like them in either camp) were looking at the very same things---in this case either "penal" OR "strategic" architecture and understanding that even if they were agreeing that they were seeing the very same things they were NOT agreeing on what the meaning of them was to the golfer!

I think we just might find when this discussion is done that this debate between the likes of Behr and the likes of Crane (penal vs strategic) was really something of a "glass half empty vs a glass half full" kind of thing.

And on some reflection I think by tomorrow I will be ready to explain why I think that may be true.

In my opinion, the nub of all of this is simply how one looks at the concept of "penalty" in golf and golf architecture. I think the fact is that Behr and his kind looked at it very differently than Crane and his ilk.

Later

« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 10:44:14 PM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2007, 10:58:30 PM »
If it turns out that Behr and Crane were looking at the same types of architectural arrangments and agreeing (even if philosophically) that they were in fact worthy of being labeled "strategic", the question then becomes how could the two of them have been looking at the same kind of thing and basically agreeing on there value and then continuing to disagree on them in some way?

I think we will find that the area in which their real disagreement lay is in the realm of "rough"----the use of it in golf and in how it was used to "define" things both psychologically and in play.

Another teaser for Golfclubatlasers to consider is the words Behr and Crane used and why.

Crane rested a good deal of his philosophy of quality architecture on a word he called "control".

Behr resisted that word and almost labelled is as a form of "discipline" that he felt the "spirit" of any golfer would inherently resist.

Behr preferred to call the thing that architecture should strive for in the mind (or spirit) of a golfer was "freedom".

Again, this may turn out to be something of a "glass half empty vs glass half full" kind of thing.  ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2007, 11:15:20 PM »
What I think Bob Crosby really accomplished today was in his explanation of what he referred to as "shot testing" and how it plays into the entire concept of what some of us look at as "penal". I was waiting and hoping for him to bring up this extremely important point.

I think what it has meant over time in golf and architecture is to force most all golfer into looking at the game in single shot incremental problems and solutions only rather than in some form of "whole hole" strategic unification. Single shot incremental problems and penalty is in fact a form of "direct tax" golf.

Behr, on the other hand, was visualizing a concept he called "indirect tax" golf and architecture.

He not only felt this was less restricting and basically disciplinary for golfers but that it offered them more "FREEDOM" (of choice) before they had to pay a price (in strokes lost).

Behr felt his philosophy created what he viewed as "whole hole unity".

Crane's philosophy was that golf should be more of a shot by shot phsyical execution examination with concommitant reward and penalty incrementally.

David Stamm

« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2007, 11:28:08 PM »

Crane's philosophy was that golf should be more of a shot by shot phsyical execution examination with concommitant reward and penalty incrementally.

Shew, Tom, my eyes went cross reading that sentence! ;)

I find this thread absolutely fascinating! Great insights!
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

TEPaul

« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2007, 11:31:39 PM »
Richard Farnsworth Goodale has offered today a most interesting question to ponder and that is that even if there really is some form of sublime strategic architecture and that a player is clever enough to understand all that on any tee on a truly "strategical" ;) course, his resultant shot unless it is virtually placed in his point of choice will virtually force the player to subsequently have to recalibrate his options and choices on his next shot and every other one thereafter.

I would submit that in making such a statement Farnsworth neither understands the concept of strategic planning (from the tee and thereafter) or Behr's concept of "whole hole" strategy unity.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 11:35:20 PM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2007, 11:34:31 PM »
"Shew, Tom, my eyes went cross reading that sentence! :)

DavidS:

Sorry Pal, on re-examination I totally blew that sentence. It should have read not reward AND penalty but reward OR penalty (incrementally). ;)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 11:35:56 PM by TEPaul »

TEPaul

« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2007, 11:49:01 PM »
Bob and Wayne:

I have to thank you for this thread---it has made me reread and reanalze the gist of some of what both Crane and Behr said in their respective articles.

I've read these Behr articles a hundred times over the years but not until today did I realize the significance of some of the words in their respective articles.

I noticed how Behr used the word "control" (Crane's) and interpreted it to mean a form of discipline and a lack of golfer "freedom" of choice. Crane apparently intended it to mean a form of shot by shot physical "skill" testing that was a necessary and important element of golf architecture.

Perhaps the fact that Crane envisioned an immediate requirement of some form of (shot loss) penalty for failure to execute any shot as planned was the reason for his being labeled a "penal" architectural mind.

Behr, on the other hand, felt that a profusion (a perhaps  huge area) of non-penal area surrounding a highly penal hazard would and could prove to the golfer that his strategic plan and his resultant shot was both his choice and his responsibility and not some disciplinary tribunal test of his skill (or lack of it).

I did not realize just how much these two guys were actually talking to one another through the text of their articles.

This is what Bob Crosby has always maintained. He has even said that he thinks it was the inspiration for why many of the great architectural books were done in the mid to late 1920s
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 12:03:26 AM by TEPaul »

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #66 on: October 10, 2007, 01:27:55 AM »
Bob

If you think of golf as a game in which a player intereacts with a playing field, the player chooses and executes some sort of strategy on every shot he or she plays.  Depending on his choice, his execution and pure chance, he finds himself in another position and the process begins again. ....To call a golf course penal is tautological.  Of course it is.  They all are, in some way or other.  To call a course strategic, even using your meaning of the word, is also tautological.  They all are.

What a fun thread! Thanks to all contributors.

Richard

You're verging on truism here.

The difference between a predominantly penal test and a strategic one are the number of choices available to the player. A penal hole almost never has only one way to play it, but it may have only one way to play it to have any reasonable expectation to make birdie. I can think of many ways to make birdie at Augusta 15.

Now - I've been following this thread for a while now and what occured to me when I first saw the drawings was, maybe, a new feeling -
There is a strong simple beauty to the first hole - the way the green is shaped by the route of the burn, the horseshoe shape, the brazen nature of the test. It just looks perfect. I'm sure that it could be improved as a test of golf, but as an object of beauty, it cannot be. I wonder how many other holes we might think of in the same way? And should we change them? If so when and why?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 10:16:18 AM by Lloyd_Cole »

James Bennett

« Reply #67 on: October 10, 2007, 01:56:15 AM »
Lloyd

I thought Augusta #15 was a penal hole - there is water and you can't avoid it.  You must play over it.  Therefore penal - the test cannot be avoided.

Doak commented (in The Anatomy of a Golf Course) that Augusta #11 was strategic, #12 was penal, and #13 was an incredible combination of heroic, strategic and penal all rolled into the one hole.

However, on the 'penal' #15 you do have a choice (the Farnsworth strategy) of laying up and then putting your ball in the water with your third shot, or putting it in the water with your second shot.  The true Farnsworth strategy is putting your ball in the left side of the water, so that the resultant penalty drop gives you a better line of play into the green.  LOL.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Rich Goodale

« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2007, 02:08:28 AM »
Llyod

I like "trusim"--whilst it's not a perfect tyop it is a good first attempt.  Keep on tyring!

Lots of ways to make birdie on 15 at Augusta?  Tell that to Seve...... :'(

I can see three:

1.  Sling a hook to position A, hit the second on the green, two putt.

2.  Hit any other sort of drive under the sun, move the ball forward to position B (lay up area), wedge to the green, one putt.

3.  Hit any other sort of drive under the sun, try to whack the ball from wherever you are as far as possible, but probably into Rae's Creek, drop it out then pitch it into the hole (the Farnsworth strategy).

So what is so "strategeric" about that?

Hope you are on the mend.

Rich

Rich Goodale

« Reply #69 on: October 10, 2007, 03:40:23 AM »
Hmmm, replying to myself....... :o  Must be coming down with a touch of the Tom Paul syndrome.  Memo to self--see shrink.

http://www.ibras.dk/montypython/episode07.htm

The above link includes the famous Angus Podgorny sketch, including the scene where a policeman (John Cleese) is questioning a woman (Eric Idle) about her report that they had viewed a giant blanmange from the planet Skyron playing tennis by himself on an opposite court.  (One must read the entire sketch above, or even better view a clip) to get the proper context....).

Vis a vis the topic of this thread, I can see John Cleese as Joshua Crane, trying to uphold the integrity of the game against apostates such as Max Behr (played by Eric Idle in drag), who wishes to just have fun, and 'Damn the Rules!"

Both are hilarious, and somewhere in-between is the game of golf.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #70 on: October 10, 2007, 03:54:58 AM »
...just to say.

It's Crane's model, not Behr's.  Maxie wasn't as creative as oor Josh.

Rich

TEPaul

« Reply #71 on: October 10, 2007, 09:24:53 AM »
"...just to say.

It's Crane's model, not Behr's.  Maxie wasn't as creative as oor Josh."

No he sure wasn't, not with TOC, that is. Behr believed the course had more than earned its right to be left as it was.

One thing I find so interesting about Crane's criticism of the strength of TOC as a championship test and the corresponding weakness of its architecture as shown by his mathematical formula (and essentially proven in his mind by Jones under par victory in '27), was that he never even took the changeable element of something like the wind into consideration! ;)

The fact is the conditions at St Andrews for the '27 Open were about as mild as they get. Why did Crane not mention that?

On the other hand Crane's proposed architectural revision of the 1st hole at TOC (shown in the first post) seems every bit as "strategic" in arrangement as some of Behr's drawings of other holes or any of Simpson and Wethred's drawings in their book showing how to make former "penal" designs more "strategic" design in character and in play.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #72 on: October 10, 2007, 09:38:57 AM »
Tommy

I think that it was MacKenzie in "Spirit of..." who mentioned that Jones only used a wooden club 3 times in the 1927 Open.  Anybody even peripherally thinking about the nature of the game of golf and its future would say, "Wow!  What does that mean?"

Crane seems to have had those thoughts and been willing to explore their implications.  Mackenzie?  Not sure........

Richie

TEPaul

« Reply #73 on: October 10, 2007, 09:52:33 AM »
" think that it was MacKenzie in "Spirit of..." who mentioned that Jones only used a wooden club 3 times in the 1927 Open.  Anybody even peripherally thinking about the nature of the game of golf and its future would say, "Wow!  What does that mean?"

Crane seems to have had those thoughts and been willing to explore their implications.  Mackenzie?  Not sure........"

Richard:

It seems to me the one whose opinions should have been listened to most carefully on the '27 Open and on the quality of TOC's architecture and as a championship test was not Crane or Mackenzie but Bobby Jones himself.

He did offer those opinions on all of that. Who of the Crane camp listened carefully enough if at all??  ;)

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #74 on: October 10, 2007, 10:31:39 AM »
Llyod

I like "trusim"--whilst it's not a perfect tyop it is a good first attempt.  Keep on tyring!

Lots of ways to make birdie on 15 at Augusta?  Tell that to Seve...... :'(

I can see three:

1.  Sling a hook to position A, hit the second on the green, two putt.

2.  Hit any other sort of drive under the sun, move the ball forward to position B (lay up area), wedge to the green, one putt.

3.  Hit any other sort of drive under the sun, try to whack the ball from wherever you are as far as possible, but probably into Rae's Creek, drop it out then pitch it into the hole (the Farnsworth strategy).

So what is so "strategeric" about that?

Hope you are on the mend.

Rich

Rich

Ouch! and that was an edit - I edited myself and made it worse..

About 15 - really? Watching the tournament this year it seemed to be all about where you place the 2nd shot to have abilty to attack the flag. It's pretty wide down there isn't it? and there are areas where you might have your ideal wedge yardage but you're on a downslope. Seems a a lot of thinking to me.

James - If the 15th was a par 4 I'd call it penal, as a par 5 - no. Is a 25 yard par 3 over a burn penal? Some would say so, I suppose. I say no. Being asked to carry a stream with a short iron as your 3rd shot to a par 5, when you have all manner of choices where to lay up, I call that a strategic/heroic hole.

But then I am interested in par as part of the test. Sean is not, apparently. So maybe as a par 4 or a par 5 the hole is the same - would you say that Sean?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2007, 10:33:05 AM by Lloyd_Cole »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back