News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

BVince

Obsession with the best
« on: October 03, 2007, 12:06:32 PM »
Debating the "best" courses in the world makes for good conversation and I enjoy listening to different insights on the topic.  However, what is the fascination with comparing courses with different characteristics against each other?  The comparison of Pine Valley, Augusta, Cypress Point, Oakmont, and the Old Course at St. Andrews to identify the best course in the world is quite interesting.  But in doing so, we also feel the need to compare courses like Pacific Dunes to Sand Hills...another interesting conversation.  Do we lose sight that the course is designed for the golfer's enjoyment?  What is to be gained by comparing Chambers Bay to Ballyneal?

Some people only prefer minimalist designs while others enjoy artificial and elaborate designs, and some of us enjoy them all.  Golf needs this diversity.  It takes the bad courses to appreciate the good.  It takes the artificial to appreciate the minimal.

So my real question is: is it fair to compare courses of different styles or characteristics?  
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

henrye

Re:Obsession with the best
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 12:33:41 PM »
Welcome Byron.  I would say that debating these issues makes up a large component of this website.  2 very fair opinions often lead to very different conclusions.  Taste is an individual characteristic.
Rankings is often the controversial issue because it is a compilation and average of tastes, which often differ from any one individual, even panel members.
Feel free to call out when you don't agree.  Often those are the most entertaining discussions.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 01:11:04 PM »

So my real question is: is it fair to compare courses of different styles or characteristics?  

No. Comparing Cypress, Sand Hills and Pine Valley is a silly exercise as they are three phenominal course in three completely different locations, climates and clientel.

Yes. Why was C&C and Crump able to get 18 very good to all world holes, while Mackenzie was only able to get 15-17 very good to great holes at Cypress. Did Mac sacrifice 2 or 3 holes to get the great 15-16 holes. Did C&C basically get it done in one passage while it took Crump years and ultimately his life to get 18 great ones. If marion Hollis had put one in the water on 16 at Cypress, would we see a different course today?

I personally find the yes more interesting, and I think it is at least a part of what make GCA interesting for me. I admit to sniffing around BombSquad (the player I would like to be) and it makes me crazy when XYZ Resort Course in Florida is mentioned as a 'great track" along with 20 others.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 01:12:06 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 09:41:18 PM »
I have this idea that there are "ten best."  Often when my wife and I go out to dinner, she will struggle picking the "one" right dinner.  I keep telling her, "there are ten best. Just pick one of them."  It is the same thing for golf.  I have this other thing I call 'My every other Tuesday syndrome."  One Sunday it is PV andther it is Cypress."  Put those two ideas together and you can't make a bad decision.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2007, 09:41:55 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back