News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Bourgeois

Seaton Carew, 2nd Nine (Pics)
« on: October 02, 2007, 06:23:07 PM »
Having played the 9th atop the dune, we tumble off to the (sea) side for the 10th.  Named "Lagoon" -- you will be hard-pressed to find one on the hole today! -- it offers an excellent example of bunkers as a driving hazard.

10 tee: if you drive up the "ramp" to the left, your view to the green is obscured; however, a drive right opens the view -- but you must challenge the two bunkers successfully

A drive left leaves you a little $%@#$ flip wedge (50-60 yards), over the dune: it's blind, to boot.  (Astute readers will note the use of the "$%@#$" modifier and conclude rightly the author's feeble grasp of this shot.)

But a successful drive to the right does not see the golfer through to the green as he still must negotiate two nasties...perhaps he goes "coast to coast" as it were: bunker to bunker.

10 green, as seen from top of dune to left of play

The 11th takes us back over to the landward side of the dune -- note how we tack to and fro across that feature -- and as the picture indicates, this is a real bus station of a spot.  The hole is short -- 304 yards from the yellow tees -- and the play is left.

11 tee

One member of the group saw fit in fact to play far far left, prompting one of his competitors Craig who shall remain nameless to sputter against the lack of punishment for going left, his argument convincingly blunted by the echelon of bunkers directly on the line of approach, short and left of the green.

11 green

And even passing through a bus station, on a links peace can beckon minutes later.   Course greets sun and sky to wrap the golfer contently in its unique terroir.

11 green, as shot from the right with 6 fairway and the Snooks beyond

The par 3 12th eases us off the dune, but gently enough that our view of the green is partially obscured.

12 tee

After a semi-blind tee shot, the hole's plainly apparent green  gives plenty of time for thought (and conversation).

12 green: In the solar lee of the dune, shadows lengthening, golfers reflect on their shots, and contemplate the work left to do

13 is notable for a left-center fairway bunker right where the golfer wants to hit (230 off the yellow tees, 245 off the whites), but let's move to the 14th, "Sahara," and its ur-feature: its "boomerang" green.

Why do so many modern courses palliate the "dub zone" -- short and right of the green -- with gentle ground? The golfer who flares his shot on 14 will see it disappear suddenly as balls entering bunkers tend to do.  Furthermore, he will know of his fate from similarly-poor shots hit to other greens, both at Seaton Carew and other well-designed courses of that age.

14 approach: three bunkers short and right will catch any shot struck with anything less than confidence, difficult given the ball-eating buckthorn running the length of the right side

The "boomerang" 14th green: connect the dots from here to Crystal Downs?

The par 3 15th (the third and final 3) is long, playing into the prevailing wind, and takes us back to the dune.

15 tee

16 is an excellent driving hole: a dogleg left, the golfer must choose how much to cut off, challenging not only bunkers and rough to the inside but, if he plays conservatively, a bunker on the outside roughly 200 yards from the yellow tees -- not to mention the wall of buckthorn.

A difficult prospect given the prevailing wind off port abaft.

16 tee

16 green: nice false front and tie in of green to R bunkers and beyond

Seaton Carew eminds me of Rye in its economical use of a single, albeit large, feature: a long-running dune. Virtually every hole employs this dune to some degree, although sadly there is no equivalent to  Rye 4 or the Sea Hole.  There is, however, 17, named "Snag."

In Donald Steel's words, "A study of it alone justifies a trip to Seaton Carew."

From the tee, the golfer is presented with a fan-shaped green that in Siren fashion faces the tee directly, calling the golfer to hit away.  But notice the fairway angled from short left to long right...

17 tee: is the question how far right to hit...or how far left? Aye!

The accepted best tee shot is as far to the right as the golfer feels adept; however, I should think a right hole location, as we faced, might actually tip the optimum to the left, as the green opens a little from that side.  The challenge from over there: a partially-blind shot.

Like all great holes, this one gets the golfer thinking, and we know what that does...

17 approach: the advantage of the left is a function of the fan shape of the green plus a hole cut on the right

...for example, seeking to avoid that terrible right-side bunker at all costs, we succeed in Pyrrhic fashion.

17 green from the left: death

17 green: death on the right

17 green: lovely false front that crowns the rise up the dune

The 18th offers the prospect of driving the green -- but also of driving into a car! Thread the needle: avoid the buckthorn right and the car park behind it.

18 tee

Home green: just a few last bumps to negotiate...

Mark

Brent Hutto

Re:Seaton Carew, 2nd Nine (Pics)
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 07:29:49 PM »
11 green, as shot from the right with 6 fairway and the Snooks beyond

The above photo was snapped just seconds after our opponent rolled his birdie putt into the hole atop my own ball. Thereby extinguishing all hope of the good guys salvaging some dignity from the afternoon match after a thorough drubbing in the morning. I think it was his second birdie in three or four holes and negated the only one I made the whole day. Nice putt, Craig.

Seaton Carew eminds me of Rye in its economical use of a single, albeit large, feature: a long-running dune. Virtually every hole employs this dune to some degree, although sadly there is no equivalent to  Rye 4 or the Sea Hole.  There is, however, 17, named "Snag."

I've not seen Rye but the use of the dune line is a master class in routing. And as I said in the other thread, even the non-spectacular greens are very effectively situated in the smaller features of the ground, hole after hole. Brilliant.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 10:11:51 AM »

Nice putt, Craig.

Anyone playing Craig will find themselves uttering the above at some point!

Thanks again for the pictures Mark.  It is one of the joys of living in the UK that no matter where you pitch up there will be a fantastic course to play.   This is now on my ever expanding list.

Seventeen looks a cracker. I think it's been mentioned on here before but Steel is a fine critic who was never inspired by his travels and observations in the same way as so many others.

The choice of 'going blind' to improve your second shot is interesting.  For a first time player this wouldn't necessarily be apparent unless the scoresaver pointed it out. For the person who plays it regularly there's always that choice.  The firmer the green is in summer the more you might choose to 'see' where you want to land your ball.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 10:47:33 AM »
I think Seaton's a course that will reward the knowledge that a member gets of how to play it.  Two holes that realy bring this home are 10 and 18.  The right hand fairway isn't really obvious from the tee and on first sight the obvious thing to do is drive to the LHS shelf.  Playing in a 4bbb competition earlier this year in a group with Andy my partner and I both made par but my second shot, from the right hand fairway was far easier.  

At the last the drive between the bank on the left and the buckthorn and OOB on the right gets very narrow towards driving range.  My 2 handicap partner drove OOB.  Andy had explained that members often drive over the bank (on the line of the second pylon on the left in Mark's photo) onto the 18th fairway.  That left a pitching wedge and a birdie three for me. I don't think I'd have dreamt of driving so far left if I hadn't been told.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007, 10:56:23 AM »
Can anyone provide other examples of fan-shaped greens?

I think this shape is brilliant in how it emphasizes angles of approach, and how those in turn are determined by this shape to be far more dependent on the hole location.

The boomerang green on 14 may play similarly, but the angles aren't emphasized to quite the same degree.

Andy Levett

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2007, 04:05:36 PM »
Good job Mark – fascinating to see the course through another’s eyes.
I really like the short par 4 11th, Crocodile. With help from the wind more often than not, though not the day we played, it’s tempting to go for the green. But the Croc’s grassy chasms right or bunkers left will snap up in its jaws anything imperfectly executed. For elite players it would make quite a par 3 from the normal ladies tee across the road – 260ish yards. How many of them would bail out left and hope for a pitch and a putt?

The 11th takes us back over to the landward side of the dune -- note how we tack to and fro across that feature -- and as the picture indicates, this is a real bus station of a spot.  The hole is short -- 304 yards from the yellow tees -- and the play is left.

11 tee

One member of the group saw fit in fact to play far far left, prompting one of his competitors Craig who shall remain nameless to sputter against the lack of punishment for going left, his argument convincingly blunted by the echelon of bunkers directly on the line of approach, short and left of the green.

As you went off-piste on 13, another short 4, here’s a snap of the green for the curious. The tee can’t be moved back so there was a suggestion last year of moving the green back 40 yards. It was decided against as it was felt “MacKenzie’s contours would be hard to reproduce”. Quite.

The 17th and its ‘fan-shaped’ green prompts many to wax metaphorical. Peter Aliss likened the approach to landing your ball on an egg and Mark Pearce sees it as a bicycle saddle.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2007, 06:37:17 PM by Andy Levett »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back