News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Christensen

Pete Dye Golf Club - Lit Up!
« on: August 23, 2007, 10:04:45 PM »
I have played PDGC plenty of times, and thought it was a very tough course.....a 63 and 2 65s today.....pretty impressive from the nationwide tour

Brad Swanson

Re:Pete Dye Golf Club - Lit Up!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 10:11:26 PM »
Those guys tear into that course on an annual basis it seems.  It certainly doesn't diminish my desire to play the course that Pete put his name on, though.

Cheers,
Brad
« Last Edit: August 23, 2007, 10:11:41 PM by Brad Swanson »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 10:16:05 PM »
I just don't understand how they shoot those low numbers.  I played the course when it first opened.  It ain't easy, but these guys hit it so far that they have short irons in all the time.   They played at my club over Memorial day and hit irons into almost every par five.  
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Michael Christensen

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 10:18:47 PM »
it definitely is a different game...Phil was at my club about 4 years ago for a Bearing Point outing....#3 is a 394 up hill par-4....he rolled it on the green with driver......#4 is 360...he hit 3W over the green....holed his chip for eagle :P

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 01:49:53 AM »
The only thing lower than the scores is Golfweek's credibility by ranking this course as the 4th best Modern.  I would love to see the list of the guys who have played there.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 03:18:23 AM »
It's hot and the greens look very soft, perfect conditions for low scores even on a hard course.

Paul Carey

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 06:07:23 PM »
John,

Have you played there?  Or are you a critic from afar?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 06:20:15 PM »
I have not played there.  Would anyone who has please defend the number four position above the likes of Friars Head.  Sometimes tv viewing and history is enough.  I would go so far to say that if it was that good it would be more financially stable.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2007, 12:51:20 PM »
The only thing lower than the scores is Golfweek's credibility by ranking this course as the 4th best Modern.  I would love to see the list of the guys who have played there.

JB -

I have played it and it is #9 in my modern behind Sand Hills, Pacific Dunes, Victoria National, Wade Hampton, Ballyneal, Friars Head, Sebonack, and The Kingsley Club. I loved the course and would play it again anytime I could. However, I do not have a problem with it being #4, it is that good.
Mr Hurricane

Doug Ralston

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 01:58:30 PM »

I sometime wonder about GolfWeek's ratings, while I like some of there opinions, they seem to really like Snowshoe (which is pretty, but far to narrow and not that strategic) and Stonewall (new Arnold Palmer course) which is well an Arnold Palmer course....

We played both Raven [Snowshoe] and Stonewall last week.

Raven is indeed narrow and I thought somewhat strategic, though I admit to not playing well enough for it to matter. But it is WAY too penal! Virtually every ball off the fairways is LOST, period. No light rough, no heavy rough, just unfindable grass!  The course, as you said, is beautiful, and certainly worth a play. But not regularly.

Stonewall was more of a playable course. Attractive, with a beautiful background park. It is kept in excellent shape, the greens were very smooth when we played. But I admit the layout was good but not great. And IMHO, $90 means it is again a 'play once'.

As I have said endlessly, come to the KY State parks and play much better courses for less than 1/2 this price.

http://parks.ky.gov/golftrail/18hole/yl/gallery/

Now a question: What exactly are the conditions of 'public access' at Pete Dye? I have heard it exists, but is limited.

Doug
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 02:09:05 PM by Doug Ralston »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 03:33:37 PM »

JB -

I have played it and it is #9 in my modern behind Sand Hills, Pacific Dunes, Victoria National, Wade Hampton, Ballyneal, Friars Head, Sebonack, and The Kingsley Club. I loved the course and would play it again anytime I could. However, I do not have a problem with it being #4, it is that good.

Thanks...I could be wrong.  I wish great courses wouldn't get married to the Nationwide Tour.  The set ups bastardize the architecture.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 04:03:00 PM »
Doug,

All my play has been through a member or assiciated with the Pete Dye Classic.  I work for a media company and we generally trade some golf for advertising...

I have played without a member (the member called and made the arrangements) but it was very expensive....

I agree on the KY State Parks they are doing a nice job.  Although I played Eagle Ridge this summer and they had no fairways, it virtually made the course unplayable as you could not hold a shot on any slope.

Charlie;

I have mentioned that very tragic problem at Eagle Ridge several times here. The State had contracted with Louisa to provide water to the course. Sadly, E KY was hit with one of the worst versions of this year's drought, and Louisa did not live up to their commitments to ER. They stated succinctly that people were more important than golf courses. Insane as that attitude is, the State conceded to them. The course probably will not be playable again till next Spring.

Please go play it then. ER has always had incredible conditions, and the course is both challenging and great fun to play. I still think #3 is one of the most difficult and exciting par-5's on this Planet. And #7 is almost as tough with lots on interesting options.

Meanwhile, Hidden Cove is nice, and Dale Hollow even better. I doubt there is a package deal anywhere in the Country were you could play courses of that quality at those prices.
I admit I have been trying to get some GCA'ers to take a look. Hope you get a chance to see some more of them.

As for Pete Dye, we simply heard from people at Stonewall and Raven that it had 'limited public access'. We probably would NOT pay $200+ to play it, with so many others on our list we know are great and more reasonable.

Since you play WV and appear not to be a Palmer course fan, do you also think little of his Ogleby course? Also, we have looked at package deals at Glade Springs; what do you think of Stonehaven and Cobb?

Doug

Doug Ralston

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 06:11:25 PM »
Actually, Stonehaven is an Ed Ault course. My wish to play it comes from my experience with Dale Hollow and Hidden Cove, both Ault's of which I find excellent. In the Fall, they have a great 'stay-and-play' rate. For around $110, you can stay overnight with lots of amenities, and play all day, allowing you to play both courses. I look forward to that.

If you hit a fairway wood off #7 at ER, you can play your second just left of the tree. The third short then comes in right of those terrifying bunkers [I have nightmares about the lowest one, been there TWICE!] and finds a nice backstop to the green from that angle, so a little extra club gives you good chances for par. Again, I am talking about what I TRY to do, not what I actually am likely to do. But it IS a magnificent hole!

And then, for sheer fun, you get to #13!  :)

Sorry. I drone on about this course. I have now played quite a few supposedly great courses, and I still would rather be at ER [without the drought, obviously], than anywhere.

Charlie; oddly enough since we are in Cincinnati, we have not yet played the Elks/McDermot course. We will. It always seems something else come up when we plan it. If you go, give me your thoughts. I hear the greens are something.

Thanks for your info on WV golf. We have played 4 courses there so far, and enjoyed them all. Most surprising, we played a course for $28 in Beckley that was really enjoyable. It is called The Briar Patch, and was a real pleasing surprise. The fourth WV course we played is Twisted Gun. Lots of views, fun, and searching for the course. Lots of Hatfields and McCoys there in Mingo County too [yep, that's where it was]. :o

Doug

Ari Techner

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 06:35:10 PM »
Everyone root hard for Kris Blanks tomorrow!  He is T2 right now and while he is 7 back of the leader in the game of golf you just never know.  

Kris is an amazing story he has no status on the Tour after being extremely sick in Q School and missing 3rd stage and has somehow played his way to #60 on the money list in only 7 events through monday qualifying.  He has the best final round scoring average on the Tour and also leads in birdies per round.  If he had full status and was able to play full time he would easily be in the Top 10 on the Nationwide money list and looking at the big tour next year for sure.  A good finish tomorrow that gets him $10,000 or more will get him exempt for the rest of the year and let him chase his PGA Tour card for next year.  On top of all of that he is an extremely nice and down to earth guy.  I have been lucky enough to get to know him this year while working with him on his wedges and irons and I cannot think of a better guy to have this kind of success.  A win would just be huge for him.  

So everyone join me in a very loud GO KRIS!!!    
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 06:36:02 PM by Ari Techner »

Doug Ralston

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2007, 08:12:24 PM »
Ault, Clark and Associates ......... *bonk self*  :D

Thanks Charlie!

Doug

CharlestonBuckeye

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2007, 11:48:00 AM »
"The only thing lower than the scores is Golfweek's credibility by ranking this course as the 4th best Modern.  I would love to see the list of the guys who have played there."

Q. Have you ever played there?

A.  No

I'm sorry, what was that you were saying about low credibility?

« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 11:51:04 AM by Shawn_Thacker »

Greg Tallman

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2007, 04:46:08 PM »
Seemingly ever present soft conditions allow these players to assault the course. Certainly not that easy on the ocassions I have played there.  

Would imagine the longer players could possibly putt for up to 7 eagles. (3,5,6,8,11,12,15). Of these holes all but 3 and 12 were designed with this in mind... though I doubt 11 was considered a legit eagle chance when first constructed.

Excellent course but I too would debate a ranking of #4 among modern courses.

John K. - you could put Pine Valley in the same location and financial viability would an issue from day one.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back