News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

wsmorrison

Re:In what way are you a golf snob?
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2007, 04:27:08 PM »
Snob
1781, "a shoemaker, a shoemaker's apprentice," of unknown origin. It came to be used in Cambridge University slang c.1796 for "townsman, local merchant," and by 1831 it was being used for "person of the ordinary or lower classes." Meaning "person who vulgarly apes his social superiors" arose 1843, popularized 1848 by William Thackeray's "Book of Snobs." The meaning later broadened to include those who insist on their gentility, in addition to those who merely aspire to it, and by 1911 had its main modern sense of "one who despises those considered inferior in rank, attainment, or taste."

I have been accused of being a William Flynn snob. I guess they mean I look up to Flynn and down at other architects I deem inferior (and others view superior).  While I may attribute that claim to informed opinion, I guess I can be seen guilty as charged.  I can live with that
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 04:28:27 PM by Wayne Morrison »

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2007, 04:33:45 PM »
I tee up at the yardage plates if I think the tees are moved up too far.

If a tee is closed, I'll hit my teeshot from the temporary tee and then walk my ball backwards 40 yards in the fairway, or whatever the distance happens to be.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2007, 04:38:57 PM »
Wayne, you get a pass on the Flynn -- but it sounds like you've got an OED. Now that's snobbery!

You're the last sheep in the pen. (cf. def. 1b)

Mark

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2007, 04:41:01 PM »
Adam
on another thread, John K wrote something like "at modest private clubs, members play as fast as they can; at wealthier clubs, they play as fast as they want".

Which pretty much sums up my situation: when it comes to golf and gca, I can't afford to be a snob.  

I wish I could be, believe me. But unfortunately I lack all of the main prerequisites: I've not played any ranked courses, have no insight into gca, and have neither the time, money nor golfing skills to pull off any kind of snobbery.

Oh, sweet mother of G*d, I've become like one of those "nice" characters in a Jane Austen book -- deadly dull, and with few prospects.

Peter

PS - If I could afford to be a snob, I'd be a snob about all the things the rest of you fellas said.

Being someone who is a member of three private clubs that each costs less than $800/year I have to say you are a resident snob.  Move down here with me and you can have all the affordable private golf you can stomach.   I would even go so far to say that you look down your nose at those of us who enjoy a cheap private experience.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2007, 04:44:41 PM »
Peter,

Wait a minute, are you sure that's not a form of snobbery? Do you own a Che Guevera carry bag?

Mark

Mark, I don't, but I wish I did: I think the "anti-snob-snobbery" approach at least an honourable one. No, much worse, I long to cloak myself in snobbery, but I simply don't have the means.

Though, while I was never a cart-golf snob, I am starting to dislike having to use one quite a bit; but again, my three best pals won't play any other way.

Peter  

Tom Yost

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2007, 04:46:43 PM »
I haven't used a bag drop in 10+ years and I generally try to avoid the bag attendants after the round.

Heh.  In my younger, poorer days, my friend and I would begin planning our bag attendant avoidance strategy on the 18th hole which included putting away all the loose items like balls, head covers, towels etc., so we would be able to screech to a halt, grab our bags and head for the parking lot.  We would also avoid the high priced after round beverage by stopping at the 7-11 for a "forty" for the drive home.

I don't consider myself a golf snob by any regards.  I'll play pretty much any course once, although there probably are a few courses I might pass on playing again (those that are boring, uninspired or particularly poorly maintained).  I don't mind joining up with others that I don't know (although certainly I have found a few that I wouldn't care to play with again).

When it comes to some private club attitudes I've encountered, I would probably be a considered a "slob" rather than a snob.

If anything, I might be considered a rules snob because I insist on playing the ball as it lies.  I find it easier to just play it down rather than figuring out all the proper procedures for taking relief.

Tom

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2007, 04:47:19 PM »
There's a cheaper form of snobbery if you're shopping for a snob cloak. You will recall Jimmy Stewart's character in "Philadelphia Story."

Ray Richard

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2007, 04:55:22 PM »
I don't like those colored whiffle ball contraptions that are put on flag sticks to show if the pin is up front, middle or back.

I don't like excessive amounts of rope placed in front of greens approaches to keep carts out.

Northern golf pros with fake Southern accents.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2007, 04:59:23 PM »
"I would even go so far to say that you look down your nose at those of us who enjoy a cheap private experience."

Oh, you'd be so wrong about that, John, I can't even tell you.  

A cheap private experience, playing golf with others that appreciate a cheap private experience...well, I'd be a happy golfer. But still:

"afford" doesn't have all that much to do with money. I'd still be a mediocre golfer with a bad back and a young family, with no war stories to share. What kind of cut-rate snob would that make me?

Peter

Mark - I've liked and loved Jimmy Stewart's work/characters in almost every picture he's ever done, save that one. The scene with him and Grant when they're drunk is terrific though.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 05:21:02 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Ray Richard

« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2007, 05:08:40 PM »
I don't like;

Northern golf pros with fake Southern accents

The colored wiffle ball like attachments that are placed on flags to indicate if the pin is placed front, middle or back.

Excessive amounts of rope used to keep golf cars away from greens.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2007, 05:09:02 PM »
I don't know if this qualifies as snob activity or maybe helping others in their snob activity, but in the past 10 years of being a golf professional I have given my opinion of what the weather is going to do at least 5,000 times.  I don't know why members and/or the general public think I know something they don't, but they always call and ask me when the rain is going to stop/start.  The best calls are the ones from the members who live on the golf course and have the weather channel and yet still feel compelled to call me less than 1/2 mile away and ask when the rain is going to stop.  

I think in this way I am contributing to others being golf snobs because I am giving them the impression that I actually know what I'm talking about when I say the rain is going to stop in 30 minutes.  

Actually this probably has nothing to do with being a golf snob, I just wanted to rant. ;D
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Brad Swanson

« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2007, 05:09:53 PM »
I enjoy the option of grabbing a handful of complimentary tees when offered, although I haven't ever played anywhere with complimentary long 3 1/4 inchers.

Cheers,
Brad

Mike Wagner

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2007, 05:25:28 PM »
Can't stand:

Guys who think they know the game and give you a shot by shot recap of their round (do I need a cart here?)  Slow play!!  Nothing worse than a terrible golfer taking practice swings (what the hell are you practicing???).  And at least have a decent pair of shoes....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2007, 05:29:43 PM »
I can't stand golfers who read newspaper articles out loud in the morning before a round.  I have also decided that I do not want to talk about golf while playing it...I talk about golf all day.

HamiltonBHearst

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2007, 05:31:45 PM »

I wouldn't know as I have very few opportunities to play the game with people outside my social strata.  

However, if I have a well mannered caddie I will occasionally allow him to call me Hamilton rather than Mr. Hearst. :D

Bill_McBride

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2007, 05:33:38 PM »
I refuse to play courses that use measurement or alignment aids of any kind, including but not limited to: sprinkler heads, poles, bushes, "framing" bunkers, church steeples, and, on certain days, clouds.  These detract from the one of the essential qualities of the game itself, which is orienteering.

Classic!   ;D

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2007, 05:44:36 PM »
Cory Lewis,
My standard answer to "Is it going to rain" is: "Eventually", and to the question "How long before it stops" my favorite reply is: "Don't know, but the record is forty days and forty nights".  

They rank right up there with the caller who asks: "Are you open?" to which I'm always tempted to say(and do, occasionally) "No, I just like come in on beautiful days like this to answer the phone".

You gotta have some fun with the clientele.

Ray Richard,
Is it the Northern Pros, the wiffle balls or the rope, or the rope the wiffle balls and the Northern Pros? ;D

Personal snobbery: Grumblers and whiners, time wasters and those with no time to waste, and golf factories.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

G Jones

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2007, 06:15:33 PM »
For a while I would only play with those as great as me, but it became lonely and so I stopped...

So...

;D

Michael Blake

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2007, 06:15:52 PM »
Collared shirt and shorts.

None of these cargo shorts with 40 pockets.  

Regular shorts.

And tuck your collared shirt in please.  And maybe throw a belt on too.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2007, 06:16:15 PM »
Am I a snob because I'm uncomfortable playing with guys who drink alcohol while playing?  One beer at the turn is fine.  Any more and I'm snob.  Liquor?  Never.

G Jones

« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2007, 06:20:35 PM »
Actually, being serious a moment, I do have a strange dislike of people who use plastic rather than wooden tees.

I also dislike it when people don't obey the dress rules at a club. I dislike walking into an american country club and finding people in the bar who haven't changed out of sweaty golf clothing (or sometimes even their shoes!). And I really don't like people with those square shaped drivers.

But when I say I don't like, I mean I don't like them doing that, for I'm sure that if I met them I'd like them as a person... but these things just get on my nerves... probably irrationally so.

G Jones

« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2007, 06:21:22 PM »
Am I a snob because I'm uncomfortable playing with guys who drink alcohol while playing?  One beer at the turn is fine.  Any more and I'm snob.  Liquor?  Never.

So you've never played with a kummel drinker? I content that you haven't played real golf...  ;)

danielfaleman

« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2007, 06:30:41 PM »

I wouldn't know as I have very few opportunities to play the game with people outside my social strata.  

However, if I have a well mannered caddie I will occasionally allow him to call me Hamilton rather than Mr. Hearst. :D

Now there's a snob!!  ;D

I refuse to pay for a round (You'll pay? Fine.) on a golf course that was designed for golf cart use.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2007, 06:34:04 PM »
Basically I get dejected when I see a group of hackers in between me and a wide open course.

I no longer enjoy a leisurely 5.5 hr round over beers.  

I want a real course.  Blue tee boxes.  I want to play at a brisk pace, without interference from Johnny Marshall.  I want to try and improve my handicap.

If you come between me and that objective I get "snobby."

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Richard Choi

« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2007, 07:18:06 PM »
Hmm... this is turning into a "Pet Peeve" thread more than a snob thread. Fine by me, I'll add my pet peeve to the fray.

Anyone who plays with blades when he/she is not a legit single digit handicapper (not fudgicap) is just silly.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back