News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

Re:In what way are you a golf snob?
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2007, 10:52:55 PM »
I do usually take a cart at least to the range and any respectable club has free tees already in the cart.  Today I was a bit pissed that the cart tees were too short for anything but a par 3 but the towels were a beautiful thickness.  When I walk I do take a towel out of an empty cart and only occasionally take them home.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2007, 11:00:31 PM »
Note to self:  When getting comped at Vic National, take extra tees to increase the next membership assessment and throw entire southern Indiana economy into downward spiral .  ;D

Cheers,
Brad

The steeling of tees is million dollar business.  This doesn't count the millions of tees that end up on dresser drawers, clogging up landfills, breaking washers and driers and robbing time a housewife could spend reading to her children while she tries to figure out what to do with the damn things.  I was recently going out to play a course where tees needed to be be purchased and found over a dozen above the refrigerator where I stashed them one day so she wouldn't eat my ass out again about tees in my pants.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 11:01:36 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Brad Swanson

« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2007, 11:05:58 PM »
Note to self:  When getting comped at Vic National, take extra tees to increase the next membership assessment and throw entire southern Indiana economy into downward spiral .  ;D

Cheers,
Brad

The steeling of tees is million dollar business.  This doesn't count the millions of tees that end up on dresser drawers, clogging up landfills, breaking washers and driers and robbing time a housewife could spend reading to her children while she tries to figure out what to do with the damn things.  I was recently going out to play a course where tees needed to be be purchased and found over a dozen above the refrigerator where I stashed them one day so she wouldn't eat my ass out again about tees in my pants.

Not sure about the million dollar figure, but I am the poster boy of having a few tees stored in every nook and cranny of our house.  I actually bought a bag at Target last night and opened up the console of my car to store them for the next day and found easily enough for today's round at Lawsonia. :-[ :)

CHeers,
Brad

John Mayhugh

« Reply #103 on: August 17, 2007, 12:20:33 AM »
I usually grab a small handful of tees (probably no more than 10).  I just end up sticking most of them in my bag.  It's sometimes a pleasant surprise to pull out a tee from somewhere I played a year ago.  But I also buy tees.

No brush tees or iron covers though.  I'm too big of a snob for that.      And I think you need to be really good if you're gonna have animal headcovers...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2007, 12:13:01 PM »
John,

I just went out on the internet and found a place to buy 10,000 tees for under $200.  Do you know how many fistfuls that is?  An awful lot.  Hell a course can lose way more than that in a day by someone calling in sick, a lawnmower breaking down, a couple of tee times not showing up...and 10000 tee will last for months...

Between people paying for greens fees, golf clubs, balls, shirts, hats, travel, etc, etc, etc...tees are way down on the list...

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #105 on: August 17, 2007, 12:18:45 PM »
Nice long logoed tees are much more expensive.  More like $500 for 10,000.  http://www.golfcow.com/golf/catalog/golf_tees/personalized_tees/personalized_2_3_4_tees_shank_imprint_1_000.html?item=1069 I would like to hear how much a golf shop spends on tees.

Your argument reminds me of the member who pays for 18 holes in a cart and thinks it costs the club nothing for an emergency nine so he doesn't tell the shop.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #106 on: August 17, 2007, 03:23:14 PM »
I'm not playing with anyone who pulls a push cart.

How about someone that pushes a pull cart? ;)
Mr Hurricane

Tim Pitner

« Reply #107 on: August 17, 2007, 03:42:15 PM »
I've seen some ridiculous outfits on the golf course (and the pleated pants and cashmere set can look just as silly as the cargo short, untucked shirt crowd), but that's not where any snobbery from me comes from.  

I'd say I'm somewhat of a snob because I insist on the following:

(1) playing the ball down;
(2) at least trying to play by the rules (recognizing that some rules are rather arcane);
(3) walking (on any course where it's reasonably possible); and
(4) playing a course that is at least around a Doak scale 4 or 5 (I actually don't know the scale that well, but that's my guess on the minimum).    

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #108 on: August 17, 2007, 03:51:27 PM »

Jim,

There is currently a commercial running on MSNBC that shows four guys walking in tight formation pulling push carts because it gives a better camera shot.  It pisses me off to no end.

Tim,

I have a problem with people who pick and choose rules because they have decided the rule is arcane.  Same reason I have less respect for any man who has been divorced than not.  I don't care how arcane a man may feel marriage vows to be.  Please name an arcane rule you choose to ignore.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #109 on: August 17, 2007, 04:17:02 PM »
Tim,

I have a problem with people who pick and choose rules because they have decided the rule is arcane.  Same reason I have less respect for any man who has been divorced than not.  I don't care how arcane a man may feel marriage vows to be.  Please name an arcane rule you choose to ignore.

John,

I was referring to what I expect from my playing partners, not from myself.  While I'm no rules expert, I know the rules fairly well and play by them.  In the universe of golfers, the vast majority of people don't even attempt to follow the rules for out of bounds, yellow-staked hazards, etc.  I was saying that I'm a bit of a snob because I expect an attempt to follow the rules; if you don't know the applicable rule, ask.  

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #110 on: August 17, 2007, 04:24:14 PM »
My opponent yesterday was straddling a red stake that was so tall it was just under his chin.  I let him take a few practice swings enjoying the sight until telling him he could remove the stake.

You said you would forgive arcane rules...I can not think of any even though I do play under protest while people leave training clubs in their bags.  I always inform my opponent that the club counts even if they take it out and put it in the cart...so it is probably more in their head than not.  If we are playing against a field I would of course not let it go.

Please name an arcane rule of that you speak.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #111 on: August 17, 2007, 04:30:42 PM »
Oops, that should read "eighty thousand pounds" a year.

Bob

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #112 on: August 17, 2007, 04:30:52 PM »
Bob,

I never ask a man what he does for a living or about his wife.  I choose my friends based on how much I enjoy their company not how much I respect their decisions.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #113 on: August 17, 2007, 04:35:16 PM »
There is a good chance my wife will leave me someday (she recently lost 22lbs and I joined another club..Red Flag) and when/if she does it will reflect on me and how I have chosen to live my life.  I have either been a dick of a husband, don't know dick about how to choose a partner or was born with an Irish dick.  I'm already batting 2 for 3.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 04:37:11 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #114 on: August 17, 2007, 04:38:04 PM »

Tim,

This was posted, deleted and now up again.

John,

Sometimes I am amused at your contrariness at others times I think you are a complete nut case. There I have said it.

To think less of a man because he is divorced smacks of some papist propanda from yesteryear. What about the "innocent" party in the marital discord stakes when the wife heaves off for another man?

The Royal Family and their courtiers put a stop to the marriage of Princess Margaret and Group Captain Peter Townsend, a much decorated war hero because he was divorced. His wife had chucked him over for another man. Although he was not wishing of the divorce it was thrust upon him. This was too much for the Royals and the Archbishop of Canterbury, so they gave the Princess an ultimatum, marry if you wish but you will  have to give up your civil list stipend, then worth about eighty pounds a year which in todays money would be several million dollars. She opted for the cash.

I do have a question. What happens when you play golf with someone over a period of time, get to like and admire him but knno little or nothing of his private life. Do you turn off the switch when you find he is on his seond marriage?

Bob

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #115 on: August 17, 2007, 04:42:37 PM »
I think it is rude for a golfer you have just met to ask you what you do for a living or about your family.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #116 on: August 17, 2007, 04:46:10 PM »
I think it is rude for a golfer you have just met to ask you what you do for a living or about your family.

As do I, but somewhere along the line when you invite him home for dinner you may well find out, then what?

Bob

Richard Choi

« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2007, 04:46:42 PM »
John, what do you do for a living?  ;)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #118 on: August 17, 2007, 04:48:30 PM »
JK:

As a Catholic, educated primarily by Jesuits and Carmelites, of course I wouldn't have the balls to go through with a divorce even if it were in my best interest to do so.  But that being said, I still find it odd to look down on someone who has been divorced.  Mr. Huntley's post speaks loudly to me.

I wonder too, in this group of 1500 rather avid golfers, how may are still married to the same woman they first married?  I'd have to guess this group has a rather high divorce rate.  Golf is not good for marriages, as you know.

I think you really stepped in it this time, my friend.  But what the hell, it's just another in a long list of shots from the hip from you!

TH
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 04:48:49 PM by Tom Huckaby »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #119 on: August 17, 2007, 04:58:06 PM »
It is simple.  If I have two canidates for a position and they are exactly equal with the exception that one has been married to the same woman for 25 years and the other has been divorced I will go with the devout husband just because it is a symbol of commitment and loyalty.  I do not hold it against any man who has been divorced but I admire the man who has not more.

I have few friends, as a matter of fact can not think of one, who are not either golfers or gamblers.  I kinda like hanging with sinners as they are more fun.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #120 on: August 17, 2007, 05:01:42 PM »

As do I, but somewhere along the line when you invite him home for dinner you may well find out, then what?

Bob

Bob,

I have lived in the same house now for 12 years and have never had a friend who was not related to me over for dinner.  Even the GCAers who have visited me have stayed in our cabin and not even seen the location of my house.  It is kinda my private place.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #121 on: August 17, 2007, 05:02:51 PM »
It is simple.  If I have two canidates for a position and they are exactly equal with the exception that one has been married to the same woman for 25 years and the other has been divorced I will go with the devout husband just because it is a symbol of commitment and loyalty.  I do not hold it against any man who has been divorced but I admire the man who has not more.

I have few friends, as a matter of fact can not think of one, who are not either golfers or gamblers.  I kinda like hanging with sinners as they are more fun.

A very fair answer.

You've still stepped in it.  Your shoe is only slightly cleaner now.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #122 on: August 17, 2007, 05:08:40 PM »
Divorce is just one small indicator of character.  I could vote for that New York Mayor over the Morman even though the later seems to have a perfect marriage.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 05:08:58 PM by John Kavanaugh »

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #123 on: August 17, 2007, 05:11:24 PM »
Divorce is just one small indicator of character.  I could vote for that New York Mayor over the Morman even though the later seems to have a perfect marriage.

Getting cleaner.... keep trying... it is indeed fun to see you scramble.

;D ;D

Mike Benham

« Reply #124 on: August 17, 2007, 05:13:51 PM »

... but I am the poster boy of having a few tees stored in every nook and cranny of our house.  

I have numerous red pencils with erasers from a not to be named golf club ... the quality of the pencils are quite good and come in quite handy when driving in your car and keeping in your pocket when doing home improvement projects.

Perhaps I should send some to Sergio and point out how the eraser works.
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back