News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Glenn Spencer

Re:How Relevant is the Driver Today in Major Events ?
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2007, 11:30:18 PM »
I thought this was the age of Bomb and Gauge.

Has it disappeared after one year?

This is a massive contradiction. Explain it.

It was never bomb and gauge at Majors and that is what the topic is. I don't see any contradiction.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2007, 05:00:20 AM »
Is Bomb and Gauge a development of Bomb and Gouge?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

JESII

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2007, 09:12:59 AM »
This thread is the reason I have long argued against the idea that a ball roll-back is necessary.

The Bomb and Gauge (I prefer FLOG) approach does not work in the majors...which it doesn't...then the better TOUR events will try to emulate that set up. Over time they will get there. Once the top 50% of venues are presented in a way to better reward accuracy off the tee these guys will go back to trying to hit it 290 in the fairway instead of 320 anywhere.

Drivers set up for more control (ie: shorter, softer shaft)...
Game plans that take into account preferred angles...
Possibly even golf balls with more spin to better control, at a sacrifice of a few yards.

The golf course can't go much further, and with a proper maintenance prep they don't need to. And the top players will see this and learn.

FLOG is still a new thing...it'll burn off like all fads.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2007, 10:24:48 AM »
For some of you guys it's time to wake up and smell the coffee.

The answer is not to create set-ups that either thoroughly discourage or prevent the use of the driver -- but to create situations in which the driver is no less than a 50/50 proposition for it to be used. See the set-up Sunday by Mike Davis of the USGA at Oakmont as a classic case in point.

The majors are now becoming so predictable in that they have taken away the driver from usage and the world class professionals are not village idiots so they will make whatever adjustments are needed in order to deal with the situation.

The driver is part and parcel of the game.

When courses are prepared for majors the option of the driver should be factored into the actual flow of the event. When I see corset-type fairways and hay-like rough that is brought in to 20-25 yards you can be sure the pros will not hit the big stick and the result will be the predictable yawn one saw with certain holes at Carnoustie.

Let the players truly play and the net result will be increased interest from those watching.

archie_struthers

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2007, 10:45:32 AM »
 8) ;D :D

Phil McDade.....how did Sergio screw up by not hitting driver...would you have been one (and I apologize in advance if you aren't) one of those who would have castigated him  ...do I hear Winged Foot for hitting driver with a lead..................LOL

He hadn;t been hitting driver all day...stuck to his game plan (Nicklaus/Woodsian ) ..and missed a putt...that he hit prety good....gimme a break he screwed up ...you try to par that hole with all the pressure...what's wrong with you guys...

archie_struthers

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2007, 10:55:36 AM »
 8) ;D :D

Phil ....my irish temper got going again LOL   what I can't stand and ..... watch...listen to...and read about ...is all the second guessers ....who constantly mention the word CHOKE

If Sergio had ripped the driver into the wee burn he would have been crucified......we all know it....you're right circumstances are a huge factor...but in the caldron of a major sticking to your plan seems to work best ...Sergio did it..he just couldn't quite execute... the sand shot didn't grab..the winning putt didn't break...maybe thats where the demons swirling in his head came from....

didn't mean to jump on you....but my trigger finger is itchy from all the analysis of who choked....you have to make putts...it's that simple...anyone who plays at the highest levels know this ...it changes everything

tlavin

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2007, 11:12:33 AM »
It's the second most relevant club in the bag, after the flat stick.  Just the fact that the pros are indecisive about whether they "need to" or "probably shouldn't" hit driver is enough to produce the kind of anxiety that can creep into a pro's head and make him puke.  It also messes with the "game plan" when the driver or its substitute fails to do the job early in the game.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2007, 12:30:26 PM »
The driver probably won't be very relevant at Southern Hills.  It's harder to shape shots with the jumbo drivers of today and the players can hit their irons so far, they don't mind hitting 3 woods, hybrids and long irons off the tee.  I remember Goosen clubbed down a lot off the tee when he won at SH (that may also be because Goosen's a better iron player than he is a driver).  

Rich Goodale

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2007, 03:03:01 AM »
Not sure about the Driver, but The Driver (Walt) still has a bit of relevance at the US Open.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back