News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Cenci

Re:GPS-guided 'dozer blades
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2007, 07:12:32 PM »
GPS on construction equipment is getting to be very popular.  But, it doesn't provide for a lot of checks and balances like good old wooden lathe and construction staking will so.  GPS grading on construction equipment is used primarily in rough grading (getting things to around a foot or so).  They also have them for excavators that go on the top end of the bucket that can tell the depth at the bottom of the excavating bucket.  I've seen it used on grading large-scale drainage ditches and some rough grading.  I could see where it would be helpful for rough grading and would save some time because the contractor doesn't have to check grades, etc. every so often.

-Brian

paul cowley

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2007, 08:15:57 PM »
Hey Claude...its Cowley without the r. ;)

...and Dawn just nixed the picture....something about preserving my image...whatever. ::)
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Clyde Johnston

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2007, 08:19:14 PM »
Brian:

While I agree it's primarily for rough grading, my experience with it had greater accuracy than a foot. The owner had each fairway surveyed by a registered surveyor after the rough grading on a 50 foot grid and every point was within 0.2 feet and most were within 0.1 feet.

What I liked about it was there were no arguments between the rough shaping company and the finish shapers. (A very common problem when the owner has a "friend" in the earthmoving business who has never worked on a golf course before.)

I like the technology but I'm not ready for it to shape the whole golf course!

Joe Perches

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2007, 08:38:08 PM »
While I agree it's primarily for rough grading, my experience with it had greater accuracy than a foot.

GPS with RTK is accurate to a centimeter or so.

http://trl.trimble.com/dscgi/ds.py/Get/File-4612

Tom_Doak

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2007, 11:19:38 PM »
I still don't understand the fascination with this.  It's like saying that someday "Paint by Numbers" [does that still exist?] will produce art that rivals Picasso's.

And what's all this talk about grade stakes?  I'd much rather have a guy who can feel whether it's 2% or 4% by the seat of his pants on the equipment.  And I don't mind checking the grades in the field to be sure ... it's still the only way I know to be sure that everything ties in with the surrounds.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2007, 12:05:00 AM »
Think of the ramifications of this for the average golfer adopting new technology - you could download a course to your Skycaddie before construction on the course has even begun!

paul cowley

« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2007, 03:14:49 AM »
Think of the ramifications of this for the average golfer adopting new technology - you could download a course to your Skycaddie before construction on the course has even begun!

Thats great, because I can see in the future that instead of having to rely on your own swing, you will be able to match up your 'Iron Byron' robot against your opponents model to play a little match.

You will have to push the buttons though....but not much more than the video games played today.

The appeal is that you would get to do it outdoors....in 3D!

paul cowley

« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2007, 03:27:13 AM »
I still don't understand the fascination with this.  It's like saying that someday "Paint by Numbers" [does that still exist?] will produce art that rivals Picasso's.

And what's all this talk about grade stakes?  I'd much rather have a guy who can feel whether it's 2% or 4% by the seat of his pants on the equipment.  And I don't mind checking the grades in the field to be sure ... it's still the only way I know to be sure that everything ties in with the surrounds.

Tom...you mean to tell me you don't shoot 10' grids of your greens to check slopes?

Well, to tell the truth, I don't either.

It can be kind of like a put.....if I walk around it enough and it looks like it breaks from any angle, then I assume its flat or level.
Then I just create a buried elephant mound to make sure the water runs off....the bigger the elephant, the greater the % slope.

Its simple really.....one can over think this design stuff. ;)

« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 03:28:11 AM by paul cowley »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back