News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian_Ewen

The Amateur Championship
« on: June 19, 2007, 11:12:28 AM »
Just a reminder that this week is the Amateur at Lytham .

Any GCA members playing or spectating ? .

Can only presume the weather has been fine considering the amount of low scoring.

http://www.randa.org/index.cfm?action=championship.amateurLeaderboard&id=7&cfid=6030488&cftoken=54409416

David Stamm

Re:The Amateur Championship
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 11:18:40 AM »
Does anyone know if this is being televised in the States?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Brent Hutto

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2007, 11:23:18 AM »
I wish I were there this year. It's quite an event and last year's Amateur at Sandwich was as good a combination of spectator-friendliness and good golf as you'd ever want to find. I'm wearing my souvenir pink Royal St. George's shirt this week.

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2007, 11:26:59 AM »

There is no US coverage available.

Even worse, there is currently no US television coverage planned for this year's Walker Cup at Royal Cuuntry Down
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2007, 11:29:44 AM »

There is no US coverage available.

Even worse, there is currently no US television coverage planned for this year's Walker Cup at Royal Cuuntry Down

I can't believe TGC can't pick this up. This really pisses me off. Thanks anyway Bill.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2007, 11:33:09 AM »
Anyone know if BBC has their usual 1 hour highlights programme this year ? .

Cant find anything in the schedules .

Richard Pennell

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 11:42:23 AM »
I wish I were there this year. It's quite an event and last year's Amateur at Sandwich was as good a combination of spectator-friendliness and good golf as you'd ever want to find. I'm wearing my souvenir pink Royal St. George's shirt this week.

and rather tasy snacks too, Brent
"The rules committee of the Royal and Ancient are yesterday's men, Jeeves. They simply have to face up to the modern world" Bertie Wooster

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 11:56:40 AM »

Compare to professional events, amateur golf events are fine viewing.  I haven't been to a U.S. Amateur since Nathaniel Crosby won at Olympic  ;D  but the Walker Cup at Chicago Golf Club was wonderful - very accessible, no ropes, no huge crowds, a chance to talk with the players' mothers (two of 'em) during the matches.  I'm looking forward to this September's matches at Royal County Down with relish.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 12:00:06 PM »
There is a letter up in my clubhouse that inply that there is live T.V coverage of the Walker Cup.

David Stamm

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 12:18:02 PM »
There is a letter up in my clubhouse that inply that there is live T.V coverage of the Walker Cup.

Sure Matthew, rub it in! ;D

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 12:38:18 PM »

Sure Matthew, rub it in! ;D

Rub what in?

David Stamm

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 12:49:57 PM »
That you have the TV coverage, and we in the States don't.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 01:38:23 PM »

You know, at home I've made a decent imitation of those sandwiches. They just doesn't taste nearly as good sitting in my dining room as standing in the fescue grass at RSG on a gorgeous summer day.

redanman

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 02:08:08 PM »

Not in the states, it's not important.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 02:09:52 PM »
Brent,

I agree with your comments about Sandwich, the course is great and the food legendary. When we played and lunched earlier in the month the actor Hugh Grant was also there. I'm lucky to be playing there again next week and looking forward to the day.

However, pink shirt........tut tut!

Chappers
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 02:15:42 PM »
A pink shirt from RSG, now that's high irony.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 02:21:56 PM »
Mark,

The lunches I had at Royal St. George's were indeed very tasty but the small-"s" sandwiches that I mentioned in reply to Richard were some takeaway that I brought for lunch on the final Saturday. I discovered a favorite coffee shop in Deal that I've pined away for every day since returning home and their Gorganzola/Rocket/Cranberry on rustic brown bread are to die for on a warm June day.

The Amateur competitor that I was accompanying that week wears pink every chance he gets. When he saw the lovely pink logo'd shirts in the proshop he just had to have one and I followed suit. He has the golf game to back up a shirt like that but I do not, alas.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 02:28:34 PM »

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2007, 02:40:19 PM »
Very notable to see that Gary Wolstenholme has not made it to the matchplay, that is a major upset.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2007, 02:55:58 PM »
Good !

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2007, 03:14:10 PM »
Now Brian...could it be that you are saying the venerable Mr Wolstenholme is not the most popular chap in the field ;)

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2007, 03:15:08 PM »
Excuse me Mr Wolstenholme.....MBE :-X

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2007, 03:23:15 PM »
Michael
I once spent an afternoon in his company . He incorporated everything I hate about English Golf Snobbery.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2007, 03:29:19 PM »
Brian
I played with him when he won his first every big time victory.
He beat me on the second extra hole of a plyoff for the Midland Amateur Title at Little Aston.
Whenever I have seen him since on these shores..that would be the US...he has struggled to make conversation as if I am no longer worthy of his time...so I can certainly relate...and talk about stretching the rules of amateur status for 20 years..whatever

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2007, 03:44:05 PM »
Michael
I wonder if that includes Tiger ?

My favourite moment of that afternoon was when he asked me , just loud enough for all to hear , whether I should be in Deal's halfway hut considering I was caddying !

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back