News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Huntley

California State Amateur
« on: June 18, 2007, 04:08:56 PM »
Qualifying rounds for the State Amateur over both the Dunes and Shore started today.

Of the first twenty finishers, the low man at 1 under on the Shore is our Club's head chef, Jose Sanchez. Their were no other scores at par or better and the worst number was 15 over.

Will keep you informed.

Bob

Mike Benham

Re:California State Amateur
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 04:23:48 PM »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mike Benham

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 04:55:51 PM »
Bob -

I realize that you are probably not on the course but what are the weather conditions like?

Weather.com shows 65 and sunny with a 15 mph breeze ...

And does Jose cook better then he plays?

Mike

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 05:14:43 PM »
Did they play from the plates?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 05:17:03 PM »
I have to believe they're playing as far back as they can play... neither course is all that long, and this is our state amateur.

But hopefully at least one of our participants will chime in later on.

Lots of scary high scores being posted... I wonder if the wind is gusting more than the weather reports state... perhaps they are being given crazy pin positions?  

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 05:24:27 PM »
Let's try another one:

Bob, does he play blades?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 05:28:01 PM »
rim shot

;D ;D ;D

Sorry about that, Mark.  I'm a little slow today. But someone did ask last week if they'd play all the way back....

TH

Mike Benham

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 05:47:36 PM »
Bob, does he play blades?

The butter knives are old recycled one-irons ...

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 06:00:55 PM »
Unfair advantage: he got to hit a breakfast ball.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 09:52:59 PM »
Gentlemen,

See:

http://ncga.org/07tourney/stateam.php

Slight breeze, greens on the Dunes were up to a Stimp reading of 13, or so I have been  told by the Greens Staff.

Bob

David Ober

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 10:14:59 PM »
Gentlemen,

See:

http://ncga.org/07tourney/stateam.php

Slight breeze, greens on the Dunes were up to a Stimp reading of 13, or so I have been  told by the Greens Staff.

Bob

They were definitely 13. And "slight breeze" is probably the understatement of the century. It was definitely 30 mph in the afternoon and the exposed holes were absolute torture.

Players were hitting full 3 and 4-wood into the 177 yard par 3 14th on the Dunes. I hit full 4-wood (normally a 220 yard shot) and was just short of pin high. Players were hitting driver short of the 224 yard par 3 9th hole on the Shore.

Players were hitting Driver, 3-wood, 3-iron into some of the into the wind par 5's. Pins were leaning over.

Conditions were very, very difficult -- just look at the scores of some of the guys who have made match play in USGA events....

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 10:17:30 PM »
Way to go Matt Cohn.  +6.  

Good luck mi amigo.   :)

AndrewB

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 10:25:21 PM »
Yes, there was a lot of wind on The Dunes once we (second to last group) got to 10.  It was a bit quieter on 11 and 12, then got really windy out at 13 and all the way in.  I hit a punch three wood into 14.  Driver, three wood, three wood (all well hit) into 15.  Driver, three wood into 17.  It was loads of fun (except for the pesky item of needing to keep score).

The funny thing is that I dropped most of my shots before the wind kicked up.  The greens sure are quick, but they're also very true.  I was marker for the fellow who shot 67 -- that sure was some round to watch.
"I think I have landed on something pretty fine."

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 11:10:45 PM »
Sorry for my ignorance, but is this the first year that the Am moved from Pebble? Why did it move? Thanks

AndrewB

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 11:37:28 PM »
Yes, this is the first time; there is an old thread about this.  Like most things in this world, it seems money was the cause.  That said, MPCC is great and I don't think anyone wishes this was at Poppy Hills then Pebble.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 11:39:29 PM by Andrew Biggadike »
"I think I have landed on something pretty fine."

Robert Mercer Deruntz

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 11:55:03 PM »
Blake Trimble is no surprise leader.  My friend, Ted Norby of Kip Puterbaugh's Aviara Golf Academy, coaches Blake. I have watched him develop and have played with him--he has huge length and a well rounded game.  He currently holds the course record at the Farms, where Phil Michelson, Dennis Paulson, and Tom Lehman are dues paying members.  He also has friendly/rivalry incentive with the success of his friend Jamie Lovemark--#1 college golfer as a freshman.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 12:47:07 AM »
I must say that I hate to offend anyone, especially Andrew Biggadyke and David Ober, but I had a spot of lunch on the deck of the half-way house at No. 11 of the Dunes and as far as I was concerned the wind was not especially disturbing at all. I think it was just a normal June day zephyr!

The greens however, were absolutely diabolically difficult to putt.

Bob

Jim Nugent

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 01:46:17 AM »
How many qualify for match play?  Must have been brutal out there  yesterday.  

David_Tepper

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2007, 08:54:42 AM »
Jim Nugent -

The low 32, after 36-holes of stroke play, qualify for match-play.

DT  

Dave_Miller

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2007, 01:31:53 PM »
I must say that I hate to offend anyone, especially Andrew Biggadyke and David Ober, but I had a spot of lunch on the deck of the half-way house at No. 11 of the Dunes and as far as I was concerned the wind was not especially disturbing at all. I think it was just a normal June day zephyr!

The greens however, were absolutely diabolically difficult to putt.

Bob

Bob:
Is match play at MPCC.
Best
Dave

Mike Benham

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2007, 01:57:26 PM »

Bob:
Is match play at MPCC.
Best
Dave

The entire tournament is at MPCC with match play being held on the Shore course ...

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2007, 01:58:55 PM »
Dave,

Yes, after today the low 32 go into matchplay on the Shore Course.

These young tykes complaining of yesterday's wind is a bit much, I've played in much much stronger stuff out there.

Bob

Brent Hutto

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2007, 02:04:00 PM »
I've never seen the Dunes but there was a stiff breeze the day we played the Shore and it seemed an absolutely ideal course for having fun in the wind. The thing that makes the wind fun is having to allow for its effect on the ball while in the air and on the ground. The firmness and low profile nature of the Shore course assures that the ball will be blown in one direction or another once it hits the ground.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2007, 03:05:54 PM »
Having spent a couple of hours spectating the CAL-AM, I found the pace of play to be almost glacial. The younger the player, the more they seemed to fiddle and fart-arse forever on the greens. Admittedly the greens were diabolically quick but the 360 degree examination of the line seemed a bit much to me.

Perhaps that is why I don't sink very many.

Bob

Mike Benham

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2007, 06:08:26 PM »
Bob -

Jose backed you up by saying the wind was "normal" on Day 1 of the qualifying.

Check out the video for a recap of round 1 ... (not much action, just interviews)

State Am Video Recap - Day 1

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back