News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re:Opinions on having 3 par 3's on one nine
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2007, 06:46:17 PM »
If I remember correctly Stanley Thompson, who is no slouch as a designer, believed a course with 5 par 3s was the ideal number. With 5 par 3s, you have to have a nine which has 3.

Ummm...no you don't.

You can put all 5 on the front or back, or some combination of 4 and 1 on the front and back..   ;)

Which part of 3 < 4 and 3 < 5 don't you understand?
 >:(

Garland,

If I put 5 dollar bills on the table and asked you how many dollar bills does that table have, what would you say?  3??

Your statement said "you have to have a nine which has 3".  Please use the above analogy if none of this is making sense.

But if you wanted to use the English language as it was intended so we can all communicate with each other then I suppose you could have strategically placed "at least" somewhere in that statement.   :P

My statement was factually correct without the at least.
Haven't you heard the joke about the pilot landing successfully after getting factually correct but totally useless info from the MicroSoft engineer? :)

Its all good Garland, just having a bit of fun on a Thursday afternoon while I'm going stir crazy and chomping at the bit to get home to watch some coverage.

Haven't heard the joke, but thank God I don't work for MicroCrap, although our company does sell to them...

Doug Ralston

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2007, 06:46:41 PM »
To take this to it's extreme, would it be possible to have a nice playable course with 9 par-3's and 9 par-5's? Are par-4's too sacred to leave them out? Since par-3's have the highest 'above par' average, and par-5's the lowest, couldn't they balance?

Could be fun!

Doug

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2007, 06:51:50 PM »
To take this to it's extreme, would it be possible to have a nice playable course with 9 par-3's and 9 par-5's? Are par-4's too sacred to leave them out? Since par-3's have the highest 'above par' average, and par-5's the lowest, couldn't they balance?

Could be fun!

Doug

The back 9 at PacDunes only has two par 4s. All the rest are 3's and 5's and it is a blast to play.

In my mind, its not about the 3s, 4s, or 5s or the combination there-of, its about the quality of the golf holes.

JESII

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2007, 07:25:14 PM »
I think the guys on this site look at golf like an old man at the end of his life looks at the choices he has made.   There is a chance of missing some of the great times brought on by the ignorance of youth by always being so wise.  The best argument I can come up with why 3 par threes on one side makes little theoritical sense is to ask how many par 3's are on each side of Shadow Creek?  

JK,

If that quote was for me about my 'great greens' question...you misinterpreted...my opinion is that you never know if it was wise to marry the ugly woman until later on...isn't that about the same position as yours?

The fact of the matter is is that you generally don't even end up marrying the ugly woman and if you do you don't appreciate her until she is gone.  This does relate to why we love some courses and some not so much.

JK,

I know I didn't marry the ugly woman, but I do kow many guys that did and are happy with that decision...and still alive it to appreciate their wisdom...

Agreed on your last sentence, but how does it support your statement about Shadow Creek? By the way, I have no idea how many par 3's are on either side out there I just cannot make the connection as to why that should be a guide post for anyone.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2007, 08:38:51 PM »
J,

I simply used Shadow Creek as an example because it was built on as blank a canvas as any great course I can imagine.  I don't know the balance either but would bet on a 2 and 2 par 72.

redanman

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2007, 09:50:25 PM »
one to three is fine.  Any outliers would depend on the holes themselves.

UF course had 3 per side when I attended, I really liked that as all 6 were good. Had 6 par 5's, too.  We played 2-4 of them as par 4's.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2007, 12:18:21 AM »
If I remember correctly Stanley Thompson, who is no slouch as a designer, believed a course with 5 par 3s was the ideal number. With 5 par 3s, you have to have a nine which has 3.

I wonder how Stanley felt about TOC, which only has two par 3's in all.  

As for the original question, I have no problem with 3 par 3's on one nine.  The first real good course -- St. Louis CC -- I ever saw has three on the front, including two in a row (2 and 3).  

Mark Pearce

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2007, 04:49:56 AM »
Dan

Out of curiosity, what reasons does your friend use to back up his argument?

Ask him what he thinks of back to back par 3's? e.g.Cypress Point 15th and 16th, Ballybunion (Old) 14th, 15th.

The Red Course at the Berkshire has 6 3's, 4's and 5's. I've never played it so am not sure what the configuration is but Tom Doak does give it a 6 in the Confidential Guide.
The Red Course at The Berkshire has 3 par 3s in each nine.  I think it's better than a 6 but then I love heathland courses and the Berkshire was the first experience of great heathland golf I had.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Paul Richards

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2007, 06:14:49 AM »
Having 3 par 3's on one nine is just fine.
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2007, 07:40:37 AM »
After playing Roy Case's new Park Ridge GC, a muni built on a landfill in Lake Worth in Palm Beach County, FL, I have become a big fan of a 6-6-6 layout. Having 3 par3s,par4s and par5s on each nine seems to keep play moving.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2007, 01:34:39 PM »
Front 9 at Tobacco Road & Lakota Canyon Ranch.
Back 9 at Tot Hill Farm.

3 of my 5 favorite courses (I haven't played any of the old "classic" or virtually any private courses).

Each with 3 par 3s in 9 holes.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back