News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

TV Alert - Cape Kidnappers on The Wandering Golfer
« on: May 16, 2007, 06:46:45 AM »
Cape Kidnappers and the surrounding area is the focus of the latest episode of "The Wandering Golfer".  This show is on The Fine Living Channel (DirecTV channel 232).

Don't know when the show will be repeated, but you need to be on the lookout for this.  The course looked even better on TV than it did in pictures.  I wonder if a person with a fear of heights would do OK there...

By the way, I loved their clubhouse.  It looked to be a nice cozy functional buildng void of "glitz and glamour".
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 06:47:32 AM by Dan Herrmann »

Jay Flemma

Re:TV Alert - Cape Kidnappers on The Wandering Golfer
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 09:27:23 PM »
I caught her interview of Arnold Palmer recently...pretty softball.

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 02:44:15 PM »
I have to agree with Jay. Honestly, she is not very good. And she has got to back off the word "amazing" to describe everything. The episodes that she is in hardly feature the courses at all.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 04:13:52 PM »
True, but it's not her fault - blame the producers.  

But it was very cool to see Cape Kidnappers.  I'd imagine that I, who has a fear of heights, might freak on some of those bridges!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 04:14:05 PM by Dan Herrmann »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2007, 11:03:30 PM »
Dan:

I have a pretty healthy fear of heights and yet I managed to spend a lot of time at Cape Kidnappers without losing my balance ... and in the course of figuring out the property, I went close to the edge a lot more than the finished golf course does.  It's a long way down, but the only place you really get right to the edge of death is on #16 tee, and there's a fence there.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2007, 11:13:19 PM »
I met Scott, the photographer, recently and suggested he join our discussion.  His photography is outstanding, especially of the old course.
Maybe this will help...

I unfortunately have not seen the Wandering Golfer.

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jesse Jones

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 12:33:23 AM »
Give the girl a break. As someone who has been in the television business for almost 20 years, I understand what the producers are doing.
She has no experience so the producers are molding both the talent and the show at the same time.
If the producers are any good she'll be much better by the end of the season.
As for showing more of the courses--it ain't going to happen..
TWG is big tent stuff. It's not for us crazies who want to see redans, church pew bunkers and skyline greens on every show.

David Stamm

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 01:20:28 AM »

As for showing more of the courses--it ain't going to happen..

It happened with the previous host. The show has been molded when the show started last year. All I'm saying is show more of the course. Last year, the host, I believe his name was Chad, gave some descriptions of the holes and played them. It seems the content of the show now is everything around the course, but very little of the course. If I wanted to see a travel show, I'll watch Rick Steves. I understand you need to show what might attract golfers to the destination other than the course, but the golfer, GCAer or not, wants to know why they should play the course. What's so great about, what to look for etc.  
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

ed_getka

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 10:01:06 AM »
Dan,
  Have no fear, I was recently at Cape Kidnappers and I have a really serious fear of heights. At no time will you feel stressed about being up high.
   Cape Kidnappers was a special treat for me. I really thought long and hard about whether it was going to be worth such a big chunk of my trip budget. I can say now after having experienced the course that it is certainly worth seeking out. The 3 courses that the Renaissance guys did in the southern hemisphere are all outstanding IMO.
   I wondered how much variety there could be in the course with those fingers of land you always see in the pix of CK, but there is much more to the course than just those holes.
   The clubhouse is very fitting for its setting and doesn't try to knock you over the head like so many monuments to pretension you see at high end clubs these days.
    Paul keeps the course in fantastic shape and turf allows for you to play whatever shot you can imagine.
    Plan a trip to include Paraparaumu Beach, CK, and Titirangi and I assure you it will be well worth the time.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mike Hoak

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 10:09:59 AM »
TWG also filmed an episode at Barnbougle which is set to air sometime this season.

Doug Ralston

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 03:37:16 PM »
Damn;

Cable does not carry this. I wanted the sights.

BTW, being a lifelong climber, heights exhilarate me, so I certainly would love to go.

Send me a video :D

Doug

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back