News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

The home of Pat Mucci Sr. and Jr. There is a very nice Wall Trophy to Pat Sr, and the Member Guest tournament is named after Pat Sr. Pat Jr has been a member for 50 some years. More than a few GCAers would get a kick out how the caddies all refer to our beloved Pat Mucci as "Junior" as in "Junior, I like the 8 iron here."

From the website:

Designed by William H. Tucker, the Preakness Hills golf course opened in 1927. Our golf facilities include our newly restored championship golf course (by Ron Forse).  While Preakness Hills has always been regarded as one of the most beautifully maintained courses in the area, our newly restored course is one that everyone will want to see and experience.  Since completing our golf course restoration project, we have experienced an increase in our slope rating from 130 to 132 from our blue tees and we now have a slope rating of 134 from our championship tees. In addition to the renovation of our golf course, we have also added to and upgraded our golf practice areas and driving range.  Our challenging golf course continues to present a true test for players of all abilities.  

Preakness is a very nice and very consistent parkland course that Pat Mucci terms "sporty". For those of us that have not played in USGA events, I felt it went beyond sporty as the rough plays tough. I made the mistake of trying to play with Patrick but that is a longer story.  :P

The course shows some mystery on the front, with the flag stick peaking out

Some nice driving angles

The aerial approach works here

You can bounce one in here

Forse's bunker work

More mystery and more nice driving features

200+ Par 3 6th I believe with OB right, it gets you thinking

I liked the 7th a downhill hole, but did not get this bunker which was 50 yards from the forward tee ???

The mid iron Par 3 8th

The 9th leads back to the clubhouse

The back 9 has the more GCA rolling terrain but I did not get as many pics

A Merionish stream in front of the Par 5 10th green

Loved this approach on the shorter par 4 11th

Lots of Yale on this long 4 especially the approach

Oops, Ron you missed a few Pines during removal

Drainage problems 50  years ago created this pond

#18, I personally like the Par 3 finish, and this one was a fun one over the water to a two tier green. Pin was on the front, hit the slope and it backed up. Once in a while it all works.

What do ya know, the Big Guy inside of Mucci on #18, see my mark inside left of Patrick :)

Doug Braunsdorf

I saw this Master Plan back in the fall of '04 when the club hosted a wonderful monthly NJCMA Chapter Meeting.  Although we didn't tour the golf course, it was evident from what I saw that it is very fun to play.  Great pictures, Mike.  This is another course in Northern NJ, much like Glen Ridge, that unfortunately gets passed over for the "belt notch" courses.  Many would probably do well by seeing this.  

I noticed the club championship was dominated by the name "Mucci" as well  :)
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Mark Arata

I grew up in Wayne NJ. I probably passed this course every day for 10 years, and I never even once gave it a second thought........I think I even had a cousin or uncle that was a member there and I never got to play it......

The lesson, as always, is that I am an idiot......

New Orleans, proud to swim home...........

Patrick_Mucci

Mike Sweeney,

Thanks for posting the pictures.

As you know, the back nine is very interesting with a great deal of diversity.

It's unfortunate that you didn't get any photos of # 17.

But, you'll be back soon.

The routing, the terrain and the core architecture combine to make an interesting, enjoyable challenge, one that you never tire of.

The diversity in the par 3's is marvelous.
#18   100-140
# 8    130-160
# 16   150-190
# 6     190-235

The par 5's are on the short side but very interesting.

And, the par 4's have a good deal of diversity without overbearing length.

The putting surfaces are fairly small, although they've been recently expanded.

There are 14 directional changes, nice slope and contouring in the greens and the club has removed a good number of trees which were planted by misquided green chairman over the last 50 years.

The intent is to return the golf course to F&F.

Virtually every green transitions seemlessly from the fronting fairway, which is really neat.

Many of the greens have bunkers or swales behind them which makes attacking rear hole locations very dicey.
Those who leave the approach or recovery short are faced with a long approach putt.

It's a very sporty golf course.

Mike Sweeney

Patrick_Mucci

Mike,

This was the most unique hole on the golf course.

While I never compared it to Yale, it does have that Yale like quality.

You won't believe what someone wants to do to this hole.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back