News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

paul cowley

Re:Where Does Pete Dye Rank Among Architects?
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2007, 09:02:59 AM »
...."We should all realize we are now perhaps just about in the middle of what could fairly be termed the first real "renaissance" in the history of golf course architecture."

Good post Tom......renaissance is kind of catching.

hey, doesn't some modern architect use that in his business name?....it sure rings a bell...I could be mistaken....I think I need a nap. :)

paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

TEPaul

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2007, 09:09:54 AM »
"Any ideas on what direction that evolution might take?"

Peter:

Not really, and it certainly isn't because I haven't thought about it.

"Any personal preferences for a particular direction?"

Definitely, but it's sort of hard to put into detail or even into words, at this point. This is definitely a stew that's still cooking in my mind and it's one of the primary reasons I'm so interested in the entire history and evolution of golf and golf architecture and why and how various things happened at various times, as well as why various things never did happen at various times when it seems the opportunity was there.

I'll guarantee you one thing though, as I continue to think about it, the various philosophies that I might call the "Max Behr" factor will never be too far from my mind.  ;)

TEPaul

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2007, 09:25:27 AM »
"Any guesses about what this renaissance will usher in over the next few decades?"

Peter:

Actually, there is one thing.

Shortly I will be issuing a most important position blurb explaining that I am now not long-term bullish on stock in golf cart companies!

Doug Ralston

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2007, 09:45:13 AM »
Comparing Doak or C&C to Dye is a bit unbalanced at this point.

Remember, after two or three years, they were already comparing Tiger to Jack Nicklaus; but it was way too early.

Give Doak or C&C their time and opportunities, then see!

{Hey Tom, I just cast you in the image of Tiger Woods! How bout that?  ;)}

Doug

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2007, 09:51:21 AM »
Shortly I will be issuing a most important position blurb explaining that I am now not long-term bullish on stock in golf cart companies!

TE
thanks for that! Now if only someone who understands the stock-market and financing could help me figure out how to make a buck off that tip, that'd be good.  

On your earlier post, not surprisingly I don't have any educated guesses about future developments. It seems to me, though, that there are certainly more Max Behr disciples around now than there were Max Behrs back then...and that might be a real difference. On the other hand, I can't think of anyone today as well-connected to key decision-makers as CB Macdonald was back then...and I have no clue if that means it's a wash.

Peter

TEPaul

« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2007, 10:13:45 AM »
"TE
thanks for that! Now if only someone who understands the stock-market and financing could help me figure out how to make a buck off that tip, that'd be good."

But you can make money on that. Begin with a conservative and paced short selling strategy on golf cart companies.

You may even want to put a bit of venture capital into Paul Cowley's planned new kilt company. We are entering into a ratcheted up age of environmental conservatism and a brave new world of androgyny, and some serious money can be made by people who are in the right place at the right time with the right ideas and products!    

Another good example of the need and popularity of kilts in golf in the future can be seen in this recent discovery of what we are now calling the "leak factor" on treeless golf courses. Treeless golf courses are also a thing of the future. It seems pretty obvious one can take an undetected leak in a kilt so much better than one can take an undetected leak in a pair of trousers.

Don't laugh, these kinds of things are the raw material ideas of what some very serious money making is made of.
;)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 10:16:12 AM by TEPaul »

RJ_Daley

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2007, 10:14:00 AM »
7th
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Chris_Clouser

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2007, 10:53:53 AM »
Mr. Daley,

Who would be 6th and 8th?   ;)

Anyway, I've been fortunate to see a lot of Dye's unheralded architecture in the Indy area.  Places like Sahm, Eagle Creek, Harbor Trees are all nice places to play and don't have some of the demonic overtones of some of his later works.  Also having a chance to play some of those courses that are well known like a Crooked Stick in multiple iterations, I have had a chance to see how his style has evolved somewhat.  Pete Dye is the modern day design maharishi.  

I would say that he would be among the top in any historical context, but where exaclty I have no idea.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back