News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt_Ward

Augusta Spin Control
« on: April 07, 2007, 10:59:55 AM »
The powers-that-be at Augusta will be most creative in trying to enliven the atmosphere this weekend. Why? The quality of the golf has not been evident thus far because the course has been bastardized to thrwart anything but the most perfect of perfect of shots.

When the low round for the week thus far is a 68 that tells me plenty. If I want to view a US Open performance I always thought such an event came in June -- not April.

Now, the powers-that-be will be hard at work. You'll likely see more accessible pin placements and if the wind blows to any degree you will see teeing areas adjusted so that lower scores are indeed possible.

The Masters used to be entertainment golf at its best -- I have a feeling the folks running the show there will make course adjustments along the line I described to provide such a possibility because if they stay with the formula thus far they will certainly be losing plenty of viewers -- starting with me.

Eric_Terhorst

Re:Augusta Spin Control
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 11:08:48 AM »
Hey Matt,

NASCAR's Pepsi 300 is on ESPN2 opposite the Masters--enjoy!

tlavin

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 11:09:14 AM »
Give the man some cheese with his whine!

Brent Hutto

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 11:10:47 AM »
I have a feeling the folks running the show there will make course adjustments along the line I described to provide such a possibility because if they stay with the formula thus far they will certainly be losing plenty of viewers -- starting with me.

The problem is we won't be able to tell the difference between them following your advice versus following a set of weather-contingent setups that they had in mind all along.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 11:13:49 AM »
You can be sure CBS Sports won't dig a bit and see if what I just said is true. It's common knowledge that the powers-that-be make the course play tough early on to send a message -- then follow the mechanism I just mentioned. Soften the course through easier pins and pushing a few tee box forward so that the demands are not producing that king of AWESOME SHOTMAKING we have seen thus far.

Hey Terry -- it's no whine -- it's what is happening. I usually enjoy US Open golf in June -- not April.

tlavin

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 11:20:45 AM »
You can be sure CBS Sports won't dig a bit and see if what I just said is true. It's common knowledge that the powers-that-be make the course play tough early on to send a message -- then follow the mechanism I just mentioned. Soften the course through easier pins and pushing a few tee box forward so that the demands are not producing that king of AWESOME SHOTMAKING we have seen thus far.

Hey Terry -- it's no whine -- it's what is happening. I usually enjoy US Open golf in June -- not April.

It is common knowledge that ANGC's committee likes to set up some sweetheart hole locations on the weekend.  A couple years back they had a hole location on 16 that was surely designed for the couple holes-in-one that occurred and the multiple birdies.  Tom Meeks and Fred Ridley set one up at Olympia during the Open, which really rankled my ass since we wanted to see them suffering and Meeks blithely said, "you might see a hole in one here today".  It never happened, but we did get nailed for being "soft", but that was a one year experiment of the kinder and gentler USGA.

Maybe this week is a one year experiment of a meaner and snarlier and more unforgiving ANGC.  I dunno.  I do know that it is refreshing.  At the end of the day it is probably more attributable to the fricking weather, to tell you the truth.

As for the whining, Matt, I was only trying to push your buttons.  Just consider this Masters a preview of Oakmont...

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 11:29:56 AM »
Matt,

Your last pre-Masters assessment was that the course had been ruined, and only the bombers had any chance to win.

Reasonable people can still disagree about your first point, but a glance at the leader board midway through the tournament shows a lot of non-bombers like Clark, Rose, Johnson and Kelly in contention, Tiger and Phil scrambling to get back into it, and a bunch of short-hitting geezers like Stadler, Zoeller and Crenshaw playing on the weekend.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

D_Malley

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2007, 12:23:35 PM »
today 13 & 15 are front left
16 is back right

on masters web site you can view all pin placements for first three rounds

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2007, 12:54:37 PM »
It's only halfway, but one of the interesting things about this leaderboard is the relative lack of experience playing in the tournament of those at the top.  This sometimes happens but many of them usually fall down by the end.

If the leaderboard ends up populated by less experienced than "usual" for past tournaments, how would you interpret that?

Mark

tlavin

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2007, 02:28:37 PM »
It's only halfway, but one of the interesting things about this leaderboard is the relative lack of experience playing in the tournament of those at the top.  This sometimes happens but many of them usually fall down by the end.

If the leaderboard ends up populated by less experienced than "usual" for past tournaments, how would you interpret that?

Mark

It might lend credence to the suggestion that these difficult conditions help identify the luckiest or pluckiest, but not necessarily the best, player.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 03:02:27 PM »
Rick S:

Yes, the course is ruined with the recent thinking that additional trees and "second cuts" are the way to go. Candidly, what was SOOOOOOOO broken that needed to be fixed? Please knock yourself out and answer me on that one. Inquiring minds would like to know.

The no-names that power-puff their tee shots can manage to hang in there because of some wonderful up'n downs they have made thus far. Kudos to them indeed but I would much rather see quality shotmaking from what the original course used to provide instead of this deadly dull search for pars that the first 36 holes has provided.

One last thought -- just because certain people are playing on the weekend doesn't mean they have any real shot at winning.

Mark B:

Simple for me to understand.

The nature of what makes Augusta great has been turned on its head with a variety of factors this year -- unseasonably cool and windy weather plus the added length and narrowness of fairways has produced a medley of players that often sprouts forward with the US Open. I always admired Augusta because it rewarded players with a swashbuckling flair (e.g. Ballesteros, Watson, etc, etc).

The best thing that Payne can do is undo plenty of the "improvements" that Hootie pushed on everyone. As was said years ago about a former president, "Let Reagan be Reagan" -- the same holds true for Augusta National.

John Kirk

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2007, 04:30:04 PM »
I'm enjoying the tournament. :D

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 04:46:55 PM »
Matt,

Speaking of spin control, I think you've got it set up both ways. If Tiger or Appleby manages to win, ANGC is now a bomber's paradise where a short hitter has no chance. If Kelly, Glover, Rose, Johnson or Clark wins, it was a boring tournament, thanks to the butchering of the course.

I'm not saying there was anything sooooo wrong with the course the way it was. I'd have introduced a Masters ball instead of lenthening and further foliating the course. But the Poobahs aren't ready to go the Masters ball route, and they don't want their tournament reduced to a drive-and-wedge fest. That much I can understand.

Tiger just got back to even with a birdie at 13 by laying up to 90 yards and stiffing a pitching wedge. Yesterday he saved par there after going for it in two and hitting his ball in the creek. Two days, two different approaches, two different results -- and the birdie was not a result of a play that only a Tiger Woods could execute.

In short, I counsel patience, rather than pre-judgement, as do others here. This is shaping up to be a pretty good tournament.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

tlavin

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 05:15:39 PM »
Rich,

You're quite right.  It could be interpreted either way.  That's why they call it

As a side note, Mickelson said that they did water the greens.  He thought it was tough but that it was fairer because they softened the greens a tad...

Doug Ralston

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 07:41:36 PM »
What complaining? The is an awesome tournament. Everyone has to show skills not always needed; the ability to scramble, the strength to put adverse scores and shots away and stay 'in the moment', and most of all the internal force to remain optomistic through the struggle.

I remember very well the 'massacre at Winged Foot'. This does not rate to be quite that bad; but Hale Irwin came out of that struggle with a kind of respect he could hardly have won elsewhere.

Sometimes we need more that a birdie-fest.

Doug

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back