News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Szabo

Henry Hughes, GCA
« on: March 22, 2007, 10:07:58 PM »
I wanted to see if anyone had any information on Henry Hughes, who designed the club here in Sterling where I play my golf.  From what I understand, he designed quite a few courses here in Colorad in the 40s and 50s, but know nothing more of him.

Thanks in advance,

Scott
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

CHrisB

Re:Henry Hughes, GCA
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 10:21:35 PM »
From The Architects of Golf:
Henry B. Hughes was the son of Henry T. Hughes, a construction superintendent for Donald Ross at The Broadmoor in Colorado. While Henry was too young to join brothers Lawrence and Frank on their father's construction crew, he did herd the sheep used in those days to clip grass around the fairways.

In 1924 the senior Hughes moved his family to Denver, where he constructed Cherry Hills CC for William S. Flynn and remained as its greenkeeper. While Lawrence and Frank went to work for Ross, Henry served on his father's crew until 1933, when he took over the head greenkeeper position.

Hughes remained at Cherry Hills until 1947, then traveled to Mexico City to construct Club de Golf Mexico for Lawrence. He returned to Denver in 1950 and for the next thirteen years served as superintendent at Green Gables GC and designed courses in the Rocky Mountain area.

By the mid-1960s he was devoting full time to golf architecture and retained an associate, Richard Watson of Lincoln, Nebraska. Hughes retired from design work in 1970 but remained active in golf, operating a course in Denver that catered to senior play.

He is credited with some 20 courses in Colorado, as well as courses in Kansas, Nebraska, Texas, Utah and Wyoming.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 10:23:11 PM »
Thanks Chris!
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

JNagle

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 11:15:39 PM »
Scott -

Henry Hughes is the designer of Columbine Country Club outside of Denver.  CCC is in my opinion a very good golf course.  His mixture of Par 3's and Par 5's at CCC are very excellent.  The par 3's have good variety in terms of length, direction, internal contour and bunker arrangement.  The par 5's are still true 3 shotters for most.  The Par 4's at Columbine are of modest length with the exception of the 4th and 14th which have both been given some extra length with a new rear tee (14) and a new green (4).  You can see some (slight as it is) of the influence or tendencies of Flynn in Hughes work at CCC.  The rolling greens, multiple high points (typically 3) at varying locations around the green, strategic bunkering and overall feel of the course has similarities to Flynn.  Hughes designed an interesting short 4 (6th hole) that was altered greatly through the planting of many trees.  The hole has been modified and now plays as a dog-leg left, but is still short and strategic.

CCC is by all accounts a good course in its basic foundation (strategy, naturalness and variety).  I would be interested in studying his work in Stirling.

Jim
It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Scott Szabo

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 11:54:28 PM »
Jim,

Sterling Country Club is an old-style course with lots of trees and doglegs.  It is a rather short course by today's standards (6,600 from the tips, par 72) with devilish greens that get very difficult to play when they get them quick.

It's a course that I would describe as rather easy to get around on but a difficult one to consistently score on.  

If I could ever figure out how to post pictures, I would certainly do so.  There are alot of beautiful holes on the course.

Scott

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back