News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ed_getka

Aidan Bradley and Jon Spaulding
« on: March 22, 2007, 12:26:58 AM »
I had the pleasure of golfing with these two guys this week. At Rustic with Aidan and Spanish Bay with Jon. Both of these gentlemen are an absolute delight to golf with.
   I was surprised to hear that this was Aidan's first time meeting GCA'ers in person. GolfClubAtlas will certainly benefit from the continued participation of Jon and Aidan. I look forward to our next rounds together and discussing more golf course architecture.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 12:27:48 AM by ed_getka »
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

David Stamm

Re:Aidan Bradley and Jon Spaulding
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 01:08:27 AM »
Glad to see you enjoyed the round w/ Jon. Jon is a true gentleman and man, the guy can play! Alright Spaulding, I'm done kissing your ass! :-* ;) ;D
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Mike Benham

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 01:17:38 AM »
Ed -

Jon has the Santa Clara gene ...  ;D

Mike
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 10:47:02 AM »
What's this Santa Clara gene stuff? Are a bunch of you guys from Cuba? I swear Benham, Spaulding, and Huckaby doesn't sound Cuban.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 11:01:45 AM »
What's this Santa Clara gene stuff? Are a bunch of you guys from Cuba? I swear Benham, Spaulding, and Huckaby doesn't sound Cuban.

Add Pieracci to this mix - then it REALLY doesn't sound Cuban.

;D

We are all proud graduates of Santa Clara University.  Jon has a future as the young stud ringer to be added someday to our group, I hope!  And given his proud and valued education, I'd hope the conversation that day is about everything but the exceedingly dry subject of golf course architecture.   ;)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 11:02:17 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 11:08:45 AM »

Add Pieracci to this mix - then it REALLY doesn't sound Cuban.

;D

We are all proud graduates of Santa Clara University.  Jon has a future as the young stud ringer to be added someday to our group, I hope!  And given his proud and valued education, I'd hope the conversation that day is about everything but the exceedingly dry subject of golf course architecture.   ;)

I see! So you guys only went to school in Cuba. How did you even get a visa given the political situation? Or, are you all that old?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 11:15:27 AM »
Santa Clara, California, USA only SEEMS like Cuba, I assure you.  ;D

BTW, as long as we are calling out playing partners, I would be remiss not to mention that Benham and I played Meadow Club yesterday with the ever-affable, gentle giant Jonathan McCord.  The course is fantastic and it was a great afternoon.  But most importantly, I now know exactly how Nicklaus felt... young Jon most definitely plays a game with which I am not familiar.  Good lord can the man launch a golf ball!

TH

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 12:19:22 PM »
We are all proud graduates of Santa Clara University.  

I thought it was the University of Santa Clara when you were there....sheesh, does tradition mean nothing?
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 12:32:58 PM »
Kevin:

You are correct sir.  I used today's name because I was speaking about today's university.. and because it would get confusing as hell to use one name for me, Benham, Pieracci and a different one for Spaulding.

But nice catch.

;D

rjsimper

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 12:36:51 PM »
Cal State Santa Clara?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 12:42:44 PM »
Cal State Santa Clara?

Now you're getting NASTY.

;)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 12:53:22 PM »
Santa Clara, California, USA only SEEMS like Cuba, I assure you.  ;D
TH

OH! You mean the Santa Clara Geldings!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 12:58:52 PM »
Sadly given our end of season hoops choke, "geldings" isn't wholly inappropriate.

:'(

ed_getka

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 01:46:50 PM »
Jon can certainly launch a golf ball. I haven't seen a ball start off low and then climb since the death of wood drivers and balata golf balls. As for Jonathan McCord, that man can airmail #16 at Meadow if he puts his mind to it. :o
   As far as Aidan goes, I wouldn't get into a putting contest with him for beers. He can roll it.
   Add in Dan Moore and Gary Baker who I met last year along with all the new faces from last year's KP and GCA is as healthy as ever.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 01:55:29 PM »
Ed,

If you lose some beers to Aidan, just mention him and Ansel Adams in the same sentence and he will immediately begin reciprocating the purchase of the beer.
 :)

Mike Benham

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 02:09:20 PM »

As the saying goes, If you have to ask, you can't afford it[/i] ... (which in the case of Santa Clara, is very true ...)
"... and I liked the guy ..."

ed_getka

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 03:25:01 PM »
Garland,
    Ansel has nothing on Aidan. 8)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 03:33:50 PM »
Garland,
    Ansel has nothing on Aidan. 8)

Keep writing things like that and you won't mind trading a few beers for single malts.  ;)

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 04:55:05 PM »
Whilst I am not worthy to hold Ansel Adams tripod, I am happy that we have elevated the tone of this conversation from beers to Single Malts........

Aidan.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 04:57:10 PM »
Whilst I am not worthy to hold Ansel Adams tripod, I am happy that we have elevated the tone of this conversation from beers to Single Malts........

Aidan.

I don't know Aidan... I'd say you at the very least could carry Adams' equipment bag.   ;D

Speaking of single malts, I killed off the fine bottle I had, using it all up in the flask I carried at Bandon a few weeks ago... and purchased a fine Springbank replacement.  Approve or disapprove?  You are welcome to sample if and when we ever meet.

http://www.springbankdistillers.com/product/43/

;D
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 04:58:56 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2007, 05:12:20 PM »
While I am not worthy to hold Ansel Adams tripod, I am happy that we have elevated the tone of this conversation from beers to Single Malts........

Aidan.

Mark_F

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2007, 06:15:23 PM »
As an aside, Aidan, do you use the 45mm, 55mm or 75m  lens with the Pentax 67?

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2007, 06:18:26 PM »
55, 90, 165, and 200.

ed_getka

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2007, 06:23:48 PM »
You have got to love it when someone with the talent of Aidan is humble and unassuming. To hear him talk you would think he is out there doing snapshots.
    Even better than that is the prenuptial Aidan was blessed with. :)

Mark_F

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2007, 06:35:37 PM »
Aidan,

Ta.

Ed:

That is possibly the best thing about this website - the number of experts who share their thoughts and information with us.

I just wish I was one of them. :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back