News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Legacies in golf architecture???
« on: March 21, 2007, 01:49:07 PM »
What should be the standard for placing a course on one's bio......
When a "signature" dies and the firm takes over.....are they considered the same value or does it slowly fade away....some days you see a lot of BS in this business.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tom_Doak

Re:Legacies in golf architecture???
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 01:55:23 PM »
Mike:

I don't know that there is any precedent for a "signature" firm to carry on after the principal is gone ... that's the down side of making your "signature" appear to be so valuable.  However, some get away with pretending they are their dad; and that's also why no architect of recent years has retired, they pretend they are still actively designing right up to their deaths in order to keep their associates busy.

Didn't understand the first part of your question, though.

Mike_Young

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 02:06:00 PM »
Mike:

I don't know that there is any precedent for a "signature" firm to carry on after the principal is gone ... that's the down side of making your "signature" appear to be so valuable.  However, some get away with pretending they are their dad; and that's also why no architect of recent years has retired, they pretend they are still actively designing right up to their deaths in order to keep their associates busy.

Didn't understand the first part of your question, though.
Tom,
I had always assumed you only placed courses on your bio if you designed them..not if you were on the site in another position.....but I don't think that is actually the case any more.
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Ken Moum

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 02:09:28 PM »
Tom,
I had always assumed you only placed courses on your bio if you designed them..not if you were on the site in another position.....but I don't think that is actually the case any more.

I've been (re) reading Tom's book on Alister MacK, and it references his listing up to 400 courses as "his" work, which apparently includes all of the courses done by firms he was part of.

So "any more" may not apply here.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

JESII

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 02:31:32 PM »
Interestingly, Wayne does a really thorough job categorizing the different contributions Flynn made to each specific course. He's listed it on here a few times.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 03:26:13 PM »
Mike:

I've seen people inflate their resumes as long as I've been in the business ... project managers and shapers and associates who insinuate that they were the REAL designers of a certain course.  It's always bothered me but I seldom say anything about it.

KMoum:

You are right about Dr. MacKenzie, who claimed 400 courses even though I was unable to find evidence of more than about 150, so I assumed he must have counted everything Colt did, as well.  Then again, in those days a lot of Dr. MacKenzie's "designs" were done in a couple of days of consulting work and the clubs did not wish to pay the architect to supervise in any capacity, so it's very possible the good Doctor did not really have any idea to what extent his suggestions had been carried out ... he made some outstanding contributions in Australia and Ireland on that general basis.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 03:49:14 PM »
Tom,

What else did MacKenzie do in Ireland besides Lahinch and Cork?

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 05:04:34 PM »
Tim

In Ireland MacKenzie did Lahinch, four clubs in the Cork area, Cork, Muskerry, Monkstown and Douglas. Malone and Knock in Belfast and maybe some work at Galway GC.

Lahinch did a MacKenzie inspired remodel a few years ago. There is a lot of MacKenzie left in Cork and Muskerry but very little in Douglas and Monkstown. I don't know much about Malone and Knock. Galway did some changes recently but it's sketchy whether he did work there in the first instance.
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back