News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Pieracci

Alright Tom, Ryan and others,

I'm sure it was a good time (barring tragedy, any guys' golf trip will be), but I want some details.  How cold?  How wet?  How windy?
The SCU contingency arrived on Saturday ~ 11:00 am.  It was ~ 45 deg F, with 20+ mph winds and ~ 55 minutes per hour of heavy rain.  We played through that day and I learned how to dress properly for the rest of the week.

Saturday was the worst day weather wise.  The reaming time is as Huck described, small storm fronts moving in quickly and leaving as rapidly as they arrived (~ 5 minutes of rain/hail per hour).  The Sunday temperature did drop some, to ~ 40 deg F, but the wind was similar.  Once you are dressed properly, the weather is not an issue.  It then becomes you vs. the course and the elements.   Monday and Tuesday we played more than 9 holes in the sunshine.  

I was amazed at the lack of standing water on the fairways and greens.  I truly thought that it would be a mud fest.  No chance of that at any of the courses.  Some standing water in the bunkers (see Benham's photo of # 7 @ Trails), but no big deal.  

The only regret I have is that the weather is a bit of a deterrent to going to the practice facility.  It is such a great set up, with teeing areas for all wind directions, and a small par 3 course.  We saw very little of the practice area.  

I would not hesitate to book another trip in January or February.  

John_Cullum

I haven't checked lately, but the last time I priced out a trip to Bandon, the cost for summer was only $200.00 or $300.00 more on a three day trip. If I'm going from South Florida to Bandon (about as far as you can possibly travel within the continental US) and I have to decide whether I want to pay an extra few hundred to play in 75 degree weather versus below 50, with snow possible, it's a no brainer for me, even if its a $500.00 difference.
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Kalen Braley

Great to hear you guys had a good time.  I checked the radar map over the weekend a couple of times and it looked like the big massive fronts that were solid rain missed Bandon both to the north and to the south.  Thats great that is just rained for a few minutes and then passed thru.

Any reports on the actual golf?  Did anyone break 90 in those conditions?   ;D  Who won the most money?

David Kelly

Any reports on the actual golf?  Did anyone break 90 in those conditions?  

A few in the 70s, many in the low 80s.

BTW, I'll take hail any day over rain.  The hail was no problem.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Tom Huckaby

Sarge:

I don't think you have that priced correctly, or your info is out of date.  We paid $90+$45 for golf, $70 per night per man for the room.  So call the basic price $205 per day.  In summer, it's currently listed at $195+100 for golf, $175 per night per man for the same exact room.  So $470 per day.  You have to admit that's quite a difference.  

But I can understand not wanting to brave the Bandon winter elements.  But the thing is, even in summer, you're likely to get rain and drops of temps and you sure as hell have no guarantees of 75 degrees.  The two other times I went were both in June and we had deluges both times - with the same circumstance in that they came and went quickly - but deluges and drops in temps did occur.  The bottom line to me is if you must have temperate weather for your golf or consider it a prerequisite for laying out serious money, than don't go to Bandon EVER.  As for the price differences, well... every man has his own thresholds for sure, and the sad fact is Bandon summer rates are now beyond mine, so the point is kinda moot.  But even if I wanted to expand that threshold, well...for me it comes down to braving a little weather to play the exact same golf course at way less than half the price - that to me is a good deal.  But I also don't require great weather, especially when going to a place where braving the elements is part of the fun... like Scotland, you know... My fear prior to the trip was that the courses would be unplayable.  When I found that they were anything but that, the fears vanished.

Kalen - I fired a 75 in some off and on weather at Trails that I was rather proud of... Sean Leary bested me by a few strokes that day.... David summed it up right.  But hey man we were playing match play.  The key is my team LOST the overall matches.  Big sigh....

Tim - Sheep Ranch simply cannot be described briefly.  But it has been discussed many times in here.  Do a search, see what you can find, if you can't find anything than patience... we will discuss it in due course I'm sure.  I just don't want to pre-empt the pictures that Ryan will surely post.  It is an absolutely incredible.  Let's just say Ryan, Brian Noser and I discovered two of the ten greatest par 4s in the world, on top of the world's greatest par 6 and at least one other world-class par three.   ;D  As for your other questions, yes they charge you the normal rates and it's up to you whether to play or not.  If you don't want to play, you can get a voucher good for play at another time.  They are reasonable people there. The courses do get less crowded in the more severe times - thank God - that's actually another benefit of playing in winter - 4.5 hr max rounds with most under 4 hours, v. 5 hours plus in crowded summer.....

« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 01:09:01 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Michael Hayes

Huck I am proud of you, consider yourself invited to the 2008 Fellowship of the Dunes Jan 18-22, 2008.  I really believe the adverse weather makes the golf and company that much more special!!!!

Michael Hayes
Bandonistas Unite!!!

Tom Huckaby

Michael - I very much appreciate that.  But like other apostles, I am ashamed that I needed proof and was of such little faith.  I need to go and weep bitterly like my man Thomas.

;)

Kalen Braley

Hey Tom,

Nice report on the trip.  As to the rates, I'm not sure how accurate that summer rate is.  When I played there last year in October which was still considered peak season, it was $250 for a round.  Playing in the winter at those rates sounds like a steal, even with the cooler temps.

So does this mean your already starting to plan a trip for next winter?  If so count me in... ;D

ed_getka

Tom,
   Thanks for the update. I'm still trying to decide if you had a good time or if you are just trying to sucker the rest of us into going to Bandon in the winter. ;D
   I was just thinking, you have had an interesting range in the last 8 months. From Palm Springs in June to Bandon in Feb. I don't think anybody will be calling you a weather pussy anytime soon. Well done. 8)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Mike Benham

Tom and other weather stallworths, did they charge you for replays in that type of weather?

Yes, first round of the day is $ 90 and replays $ 45 ...

Were there any other groups on the courses during the real bad weather?

Yes, the tee sheets were full and the were plenty of golfer on the course, except on Bandon Dunes on Saturday afternoon and Bandon Trails on Monday afternoon (when the weather was absolutely perfect).

The questionable weather, in my opinion, only slightly deters golfers from heading out in late afternoon rounds to play 3 or 4 holes ...

I don't see how they could charge anyone over a $100 a round in that type of weather with a conscience and then also charge you for a replay.

They can charge you whatever they want, they own the place.  :)

The starters tell you on the first tee that a resort credit is available for your paid tee time if you chose to not play but once you hit the first tee shot, no rainchecks (or hailchecks) ...

With the proper rain gear, playing at Bandon in the winter is not difficult at all.  I stayed dry the entire time and even came close to shirt sleeves only during a few portions of the rounds.  The way the courses handle the weather is truely amazing.

The only issue that people should consider when contemplating a trip to Bandon in the winter is weather or not you enjoy swinging the golf club with rain gear on.  If you do not feel that it impedes your game, then Bandon in the winter is your nirvana.

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Michael Hayes

Huck,  

Did you guys spend any time on the par 3 course?  Did EL PRES. show his face at all?
Bandonistas Unite!!!

John_Cullum

Huck,

That is a bigger swing than I recall. I guess no matter what you do, its crap shoot. The big hassell for me is the travel expese AND Time. Going to the west coast from Tampa is such an ordeal, especially the return trip. And if I'm going through all that, I need to increase my odds, because I can stay at home and play golf all winter long. And at that cost, I can go to England or Ireland, and have a very interesting experience. At Bandon, I am only getting golf and I'm spending alot of money AND marital capital. If I had gone on that trip with you, my wife would have had me committed upon my return.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 01:16:57 PM by John Cullum »

Tom Huckaby

Kalen:

The rates I listed for summer were taken from the Bandon Dunes website, and green fees were what they charge if you are staying on site.  Green fees are more if you are not a resort guest.  As for next winter, well... of course we discuss such things... but hall passes are tougher to get than any golf considerations.  We shall see what 2008 holds.

Ed - yeah, it's been a wide range of weather, huh?  But hell a golf addict does what's necessary.  As for the rest, of course I am blowing my own chance to ever get a decent tee-time up there again, so I ought to report how awful it was and we just stayed in the lodge and drank all day.  Then again, that might be attactive to some here also....   ;)

Finally, as in damn near all things, I concur with the wise Silver Fox, Mr. Benham.  Well summed up, my friend.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2007, 01:24:24 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Tom Huckaby

Huck,  

Did you guys spend any time on the par 3 course?  Did EL PRES. show his face at all?

Sadly all we got to do is look at the par 3 course - the full days were packed with golf on the big courses and Sheep Ranch, and on our departure day, well... getting home before midnight took precedence.  I will say no more.   ;)  But El Presidente did come over to say hello and it was very nice to meet him.

Tom Huckaby

Huck,

That is a bigger swing than I recall. I guess no matter what you do, its crap shoot. The big hassell for me is the travel expese AND Time. Going to the west coast from Tampa is such an ordeal, especially the return trip. And if I'm going through all that, I need to increase my odds, because I can stay at home and play golf all winter long. And at that cost, I can go to England or Ireland, and have a very interesting experience. At Bandon, I am only getting golf and I'm spending alot of money AND marital capital. If I had gone on that trip with you, my wife would have had me committed upon my return.

I get that, Sarge - believe me.  And my wife is ready to have me committed as well... as I'm sure the wives of some of the other guys are.  And it is easier for us to get to, for sure.  I'm certain that coming from Florida, UK or Ireland make more sense.  But if one wants to go to Bandon, well... bottom line is I wouldn't base it on weather issues, or let winter weather deter one from making the trip.

TH

Mike Benham

And at that cost, I can go to England or Ireland, and have a very interesting experience.

I will venture to guess that England or Ireland in the winter is not to different then Bandon ... probably the same year round.

But you do have to visit Bandon at least once in your lifetime, there is no rational excuse not to if you are a golfer ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

John_Cullum

But you do have to visit Bandon at least once in your lifetime, there is no rational excuse not to if you are a golfer ...

That is the dilemma.

Tom Huckaby

That is the dilemma.

Yep.  And if you're gonna do it, do you want to pay $470 per day or $205, with no guarantees of all that temperate weather during the $470 days?

If money is no issue, of course go in summer, if only for greater time of light in the day.  If it is, think long and hard about the choice.

TH

Michael Moore

If money is no issue, of course go in summer, if only for greater time of light in the day.

Are you saying that the temperature differential is negligible?
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Kalen Braley

Thanks for the clarification Tom,

We didn't stay at the resort, so that explains the more expensive green fee.

If I may add an opinion of my own here.  The bandon resort is just an amazing place and is worth the trip even if you do have less than ideal weather.  Sure there isn't much other activities going on, but if you insist I'm sure Coos bay has a few clubs and bars that you could travel to in less than 20 minutes.

But at Bandon, it really is about the golf and its such a great setting, that you really don't want to leave the property anyways.   After 36 holes of golf, a good dinner in the lodge, and a few drinks in the bar, there isn't much extra time left over anyways.

Tom has a good point though, perhaps its better to talk the place down so it doesn't become completely over-run.

Tim Pitner

Tom,

I think you slightly overstate the risk of poor weather in the summer.  We got burned with heavy rain in September (a rare occurrence), but the weather I've had in June and August has been phenomenal.  I think Benham nailed the biggest issue--playing golf in the rainsuit.  I don't mind it for some of the time, but it does get old.  

I'm glad you guys had a good time and escaped relatively unscathed.  

Andy Hughes

Huck et al, certainly tangential here, but I have not bought rain gear for 20 years (another weather sissy), and I am amazed that you guys are saying with proper attire it was no big deal in that weather.  What specifically did you guys have for rain gear?
"Perhaps I'm incorrect..."--P. Mucci 6/7/2007

Tom Huckaby

Tom,

I think you slightly overstate the risk of poor weather in the summer.  We got burned with heavy rain in September (a rare occurrence), but the weather I've had in June and August has been phenomenal.  I think Benham nailed the biggest issue--playing golf in the rainsuit.  I don't mind it for some of the time, but it does get old.  

I'm glad you guys had a good time and escaped relatively unscathed.  

Tim - all I meant was there are no guarantees of blue skies and 75 degree temps there any time of year - and that is what Sarge had said he wanted more or less.  In any case, would you dare travel to Bandon in summer and leave the rain gear at home?  That's the point.  But yes, Mike is correct, and as I've said several times, I can absolutely understand if winter golf at Bandon would not be one's cup of tea.

Kalen - agreed re Lodge/town. I too see no reason to ever leave.  But that brings up another point.  We discussed before in here a certain "feel" that had gone missing at the resort in the summer, as it seemed to be overrun by mega-rich cigar-chomping caddie-berating $500 driver hacking belt-notching types... I can happily report that such were a lot less in evidence this past weekend.  The feel was back at least a little to the non-pretentious die-hard golfers I remembered from closer to the resort's opening.  That to me was nice.

TH

Tom Huckaby

Huck et al, certainly tangential here, but I have not bought rain gear for 20 years (another weather sissy), and I am amazed that you guys are saying with proper attire it was no big deal in that weather.  What specifically did you guys have for rain gear?

The better one had the easier one had it.  That is, Sean bought a mega-expensive gortex jacket and he was bulletproof.  I bought a more reasonable non-gortex SunIce jacket that served very well that might get soaked through in the event of non-stop deluge for several hours... It served me perfectly this past weekend anyway.  The key really wasn't staying dry, it was staying WARM.  And if you layered correctly that was pretty easy.  Thermal-shirt-sweater-jacket.

TH

Tom Huckaby

If money is no issue, of course go in summer, if only for greater time of light in the day.

Are you saying that the temperature differential is negligible?

Not at all.  It will certainly be warmer as well, and rain less.  But the very best part will be that you have more light in the day - thus the words "if only for", which could also be read as "if for the bare minimum of."

Another thing to keep in mind though will be that courses will likely be a lot more crowded, with play a lot slower.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back