News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kevin_Reilly

Names please, at least starting from second on the left..TH is recognizable anywhere, as is Pete Carroll.

"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tom Huckaby

;D

From left to right

Tom Huckaby - Ryan Simper - the masked man David Kelly - Mike I want to coach USC Benham - Sean tough guy Leary - Brian Noser - Steve Pieracci - Mike Hendren

Tim Leahy

Tim - Sheep Ranch simply cannot be described briefly.  But it has been discussed many times in here.  Do a search, see what you can find, if you can't find anything than patience... we will discuss it in due course I'm sure.  I just don't want to pre-empt the pictures that Ryan will surely post.  It is an absolutely incredible.  Let's just say Ryan, Brian Noser and I discovered two of the ten greatest par 4s in the world, on top of the world's greatest par 6 and at least one other world-class par three.   ;D  

Tom & others, I have read the previous posts on the Sheep Ranch and can't wait to hear your stories. I have always wondered what a GCA'er would do on that track, and with your weather I would imagine you had the area to yourselves. I can imagine playing all down wind and feeling like Tiger Woods.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tom Huckaby

Sean:

As for 36 in the day, well... please understand if it was constant rain, I might be tempted to stay in and drink also.  But if it's just cloudy and windy and intermittent rain or hail and you have good gear, it's hard to sit there when one of the world's great golf courses beckons.  I can drink anywhere.  I have drunk anywhere.  I don't get many chances to play great golf courses.   ;)

Tim:

It's just really tough to describe - I'm hoping pictures will do more justice than my attempts.  As for having it to ourselves, well there's a story there also.  But yes, Messrs. Simper and Noser and I did not see a single living soul our entire 3.5 hours there with the exception of some yaks, as Brian called them.  I thought they were some weird looking cattle and they were on the other side of a fence thankfully.  In any case, yes, no humans other than us.  And the weather was freakin' incredible... perfect... clear, sunny, 50 or so, enough wind to effect clubchoice but not enough to make shots absurd... It was a rather perfect golf afternoon on one of the world's most unique golf sites.

TH

Tim Pitner

Tom & others, I have read the previous posts on the Sheep Ranch and can't wait to hear your stories. I have always wondered what a GCA'er would do on that track, and with your weather I would imagine you had the area to yourselves.

At Sheep Ranch, you always have the whole place to yourselves--that's part of the brilliance of it.  

Mike Benham

... there with the exception of some yaks, as Brian called them.  I thought they were some weird looking cattle and they were on the other side of a fence thankfully ...  

Sheep perhaps?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mike Benham

And not to say that we are viewing this trip through rose colored glasses but their was some weather on the way ...

Tom Huckaby

... there with the exception of some yaks, as Brian called them.  I thought they were some weird looking cattle and they were on the other side of a fence thankfully ...  

Sheep perhaps?

If these were sheep than I am Tiger Woods.  Some had horns like you see on Bevo the Texas mascot.   ;D

Kalen Braley

Nice pic Mike,

20 years from now this trip will likely be rembered as:

We drove thru a blizzard to get there, there was a foot of snow on the ground, but we played anyways, from the black tees, every tee shot was uphill into a 50 MPH wind, and we didn't have shoes or gloves.  But we never complained and we felt lucky to be there....

Eric Johnson

Sheep perhaps?

I assume you are referring to the livestock north of "G" green.  If so, those cattle are of the (Scottish) Highland breed.....

rjsimper

I have not read anything posted since last night.

I just must report that Mr. Brian Noser and I finished our 54th hole of the day not 30 minutes ago as he put the icing on a smooth 76 in postcard-perfect conditions at Pacific Dunes.  

More later and tomorrow when I'm home and can feel my feet again.

Jeff Doerr

You guys are awesome!!!  :o

54 holes and I would not be able to drive home, ride home, or even work for the next week!
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Brent Hutto

I've done 45 holes in a day a couple of times, at least once at my home course a few years ago pretty much just to see if it was doable. On a mid-summer trip to Granville, OH I played 45 at Granvile Golf Course (one of my favorite courses) and for the final nine holes I used a golf cart and the course was virtually empty so it only took an hour or so.

I think Sean makes a good point. If I can play a round early in the morning and then stop for a leisurely lunch and head out mid-afternoon for another that's fun. But trying to get two rounds into 9-10 hours of daylight during the winter is more like work than fun. My last few winter trips I've limited myself to at most 27 holes in a day. On the one hand, I don't travel great distances to sit around the clubhouse. On the other, I didn't travel all that way to play like there's a pack of hounds chasing me either.

Tom Huckaby

Sean/Brent:

I can understand this.  I am just a different sort... If I'm sitting next to a great golf course, I get itchy really quickly just sitting there.  I would have played 54 yesterday with Brian and Ryan with absolutely no hesitation.  No leisurely lunches for me... that's why trips I organize for friends are sometimes referred to as Huckaby Death Marches.   ;)

Eric Olsen

I played 54 holes a day 3 days in a row at Bandon over the 4th of July one year, a truly awesome golf experience, as every trip to Bandon is...shot 76 on my final round of the final day at Pacific Dunes...

Mike Hendren

I can confirm that every single day there was indeed weather from the ground up.  

I also knew heading out to Bandon that physically, I had no business playing 36 holes three consecutive days in tough weather.  That said, I can report that it is possible for one's spirit to continue to soar when one is physically struggling to get the ball airborn or even retrieve it from the hole late on a cold wet day.  

I'd go again next week if I could.  Give me great golf courses and good fellowship and even with a poor golf game I am one contented man.

Thanks boys.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike Benham

I'd go again next week if I could.  Give me great golf courses and good fellowship and even with a poor golf game I am one contented man.

John Kavanaugh

I think Hendren stole my hat look...

Tom Huckaby

A fine fashionista like Mike H. doesn't worry about being the first, only the best.

;D

rjsimper

Home in one piece - the case study conclusions shall be posted either this evening or tomorrow.  Needless to say (as it's already been said) I shall trust winter forecasts in Bandon about as much as I trust politicians in Bogota.

Tom Huckaby

Glad to read you're home in one piece, Ryan.  Thanks again for a hell of a trip.

I am looking forward to your pics... that rather goes without saying....

;D

Brian Noser

Made it home, my dogs are barking after the 54 hole martathon... A great week for golf in Bandon. I would, like many others in the group, not even think twice about going back again in the winter. I am sure there will be a good break down soon with pics of the trip. I hope you all will enjoy.

Rob_Waldron

Just think of all the $$$$$ you saved by playing in the Winter!

PThomas

kudos to all...you've convinced me that Bandon in the winter can and should be done!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back