News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Furnace Creek, Death Valley, CA
« on: January 07, 2007, 10:20:41 PM »
Any knowledge/feedback on the Furnace Creek Inn golf course in Death Valley? Is it just an interesting curiousity (sitting 200 feet below sea level) or is it a worthwhile course on its own merits? What kind of condition is it likely to be in next month?

I did a search of this site and found no prior posts.  

Adam Clayman

Re:Furnace Creek, Death Valley, CA
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 10:29:12 PM »
David, I'm sorry I can't give you the info you requested but I can add some history. The course was built old style, using mostly Native American hand laborers with horses and that scoop like peice of equiptment. The name escapes me right now. It was an Old man Jones design, but I don't think he ever set foot on property. The man on the ground in charge of the project was a man by the name of Roberts. His son Kenny use to play at Pacific Grove and was one of the better octogenarians who could hit the ball like a fifty year old.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 10:30:47 PM »
The Furnace Creek Inn website says the course underwent a Perry Dye renovation in 1997

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 10:34:54 PM »
I know they guarantee the lowest round of your life!
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David Stamm

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 10:41:34 PM »
Any knowledge/feedback on the Furnace Creek Inn golf course in Death Valley? Is it just an interesting curiousity (sitting 200 feet below sea level) or is it a worthwhile course on its own merits? What kind of condition is it likely to be in next month?

I did a search of this site and found no prior posts.  

David, I haven't played the course, but have been there. In 1927 the course started out as a three holer created by Murray Miller, a date farmer. In 1931 it was expanded to 9 holes, but I'm not sure if it was by Miller or someone else. In 1968 William F. Bell (jr.) added another 9 and reworked the existing nine. And you're correct, Perry Dye redesigned the course in 1997. Next month would be a very good time to play I would think because of the mild weather. I don't think it would be worth a special trip to play it however. I think it's more than an novelty than anything. When I was passing through from Las Vegas on the way to Yosemite I stopped and checked it out. This was this past June. The temp was 125! It looked to me like a typical Bell jr. design. If you are passing through anyway and have the time, why not.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 01:31:49 AM »
Maybe this is the awnser to the ball flying to far. I mean if the ball flys 10% futher at 5000 feet it seems resonable that -5000 would be the opposite. Mmmmm, I'll get my spade and start on that bunker at the third.

astavrides

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 09:19:20 AM »
it was ok.  nothing special.  as mentioned above, more of a novelty than anything else.

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 10:27:40 PM »
William P. Bell,1939;William F. Bell,1969;Perry Dye,1997
214 feet below sea level.The world's lowest golf course.
The Furnace Creek Inn is rather special.The course is not outstanding but is unique.
Example- the fourth tee looking up at snow covered Mount Whitney.The lowest and the highest places in the continental United States.
It is one of a kind.

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 10:56:02 PM »
Stavros & Yancy -

Have you actually played the course? Before or after the Perry Dye renovation?

DT

Yancey_Beamer

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 11:29:59 PM »
David,
Yes, after the renovation.
Yancey

astavrides

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 09:23:46 AM »
after

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back