News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Klein

Naccarato, Shack, Klein grudge match
« on: January 03, 2007, 09:58:59 PM »
This weekend, it's all on the line, Naccarato vs. Shackelford vs. Klein, Holmby Hills GC in West Hollywood, L.A. Details to follow.

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:Naccarato, Shack, Klein grudge match
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 10:01:56 PM »
DEFEAT: to win victory over BEAT <defeat the opposing team.

These guys are going DOWN!

Holmby Park/Tori Pines/Armmand Hammer Pony Golf Course--BE THEREEEE!

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 10:03:15 PM »
Any chance this can be televised?????????
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 10:05:11 PM »
Ralph, I will bring my camera and try to YouTube some of the match, so yes, TV is a possibility!

Hope your feeling great!

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 10:06:36 PM »
Which Shack?  The one with the lefty jump shot from the corner or the one with the dueling pen for Klein to parry?

Brad Klein

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2007, 10:10:14 PM »
My son-in-law, Jeffrey Gatrall, an accomplished animator/cartoonist, will we joining us for the round and producing illustrations of the event for sale later that night on eBAY. Watch out Tommy, he is a helluva caricaturist. You sushi-sucking L.A.-ists have no chance.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 11:48:04 PM by Brad Klein »

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2007, 10:15:51 PM »
Dr's.
When Geoff comes out to play, it's for a reason..... I can hardly wait for the cartoon! I suspect it will be similar to Wiley E. Coyote, "Oh drats foiled again...."

RSLivingston_III

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 10:18:15 PM »
Sorry, forgot the smiley faces! ;D
But still, I think this is Golf Channel stuff!
 ;)
"You need to start with the hickories as I truly believe it is hard to get inside the mind of the great architects from days gone by if one doesn't have any sense of how the equipment played way back when!"  
       Our Fearless Leader

dsilk

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2007, 10:20:20 PM »
has vegas posted the odds yet??

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2007, 10:26:50 PM »
Silky,
It's a story right out of Hollywood...

Down and out of luck fat guy goes up against the two media giants. The cartoonist there to make sure the fat guy looks extra big.

The Underdog has to win!

Geoffrey Childs

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 10:35:13 PM »
The caricature depicting this match should probably replace the golfclubatlas.com logo at the top of the page.  :)

Brad - "sushi-sucking L.A.-ists " is a new one. I like it.

ps- Naccarato is a sashimi sucking LA-ist as the rice is probably a no no on his diet!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 10:37:19 PM by Geoffrey Childs »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 10:35:33 PM »
Need a quick review / profile of Holmby Hills.  Why have I never heard of it, much less played it?  ???

What is the format?  California guys BB vs Brad's effort?

You Tube will be the deal - more hits than "Britney Spears and the Case of the Missing Thong."  ::)

Mike_Young

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 10:45:33 PM »
Word is all the Hollywood Babes will be there......
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 10:49:38 PM »
To the victor goes the spoils!

Panhandle Bill,
The reason why you have never heard of Holmby Park is because it is off-limits to most folk. It's probably one of the most exclusive clubs in the world. This is why you will never hear most talk about Holmby Park. It's pretty exclusive.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 10:50:59 PM »
I need more info (i.e. scouting reports) but am will to make book on this Gargantuan death match occuring just outside  poor little old (she's out of the will) Tori Spelling's window.

Can Hef spare any of the bunnies to hold the scoring board?

I think I gotta go with the nearly-blind easterner 8) :o
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Mike_Young

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 10:53:36 PM »
Tommy,
Will there be any tamales out there?
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 10:59:41 PM »
Mike,
This is a good question because we really haven't decided where we are eating after the match, let alone if these guys are going to be emtionally able to handle it. (the defeat) Dr. Child's is right, that white rice is a no-no in my scheme of life, but once in a while I do need a good sushi fix. Only Geoff doesn't do sushi let alone sashimi.

The Grove has been mentioned, so has Sonora Cafe which both are not far. But then again therre is the Alley on the Grill which if we chose to power lunch with Sumner Redstone, Brad Grey and the other many power brokers of Hollywood and beyond, well, you only live once!
« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 11:00:07 PM by Tommy Naccarato »

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 11:01:23 PM »
Steve a lot of luck is required at Holmby. It can be a brutal course when it wants to be. You set the over and unders from there...

Doug Wright

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007, 11:03:53 PM »
To the victor goes the spoils!

Panhandle Bill,
The reason why you have never heard of Holmby Park is because it is off-limits to most folk. It's probably one of the most exclusive clubs in the world. This is why you will never hear most talk about Holmby Park. It's pretty exclusive.

Bill,

Holmby sure looks like the most exclusive club in uber-exclusive LA from the photo in this thread...  ;)

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=935;start=msg18925#msg18925
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Scott Szabo

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007, 11:04:14 PM »
A little tidbit found from Ran's feature interview with Shackelford:

" GCA: What course is a personal favorite with which perhaps the readers may not be familiar? What do you like most about it so much?

G.S.: Well, even the obscure ones I like have been seen by the knowledgeable folk reading your web site, or have been reviewed by you, so no use in repeating how much I admire something like Somerset Hills or Baltimore. So I'll have to go with the Armand Hammer Golf Course here in Los Angeles. Bear with me here. It's 18 holes, on about two acres. The holes average about fifty yards. The shortest is about twenty-five yards, the longest about 70. It's in the most beautiful public park imaginable, in the Holmby Hills area where the homes start at $4 million dollars. The park is right behind the LA Country Club driving range, and right underneath TV producer Aaron Spelling's 56,000 square foot mansion. The park and golf course are filled with many rare trees from around the world, some of which you have to hit low bump and run wedges under, perhaps more than most of us traditionalists would like, but that's the fun of it! There is also a man-made creek that comes into play on a few holes, and the course appears to have been designed by Frederick Law Olmsted's son, John, back in about 1927. 'Holmby' as locals call it, costs $2 to play, and a whopping $3 on weekends. The greens average about a hundred square feet, and there are no bunkers! It's great for your wedge game and wonderful fun to contest spirited matches on. Sort of 'backyard golf' I suppose. My Pepperdine teammates and I used to come here after playing Bel-Air early in the morning. At first they thought I was nuts, then they fell in love with it. But don't come here with the shanks. Very expensive German cars tend to park on the street around the course and come very close to a few of the holes, and there is no protective fencing. Many wealthy locals and stars walk around the park, and they won't hesitate to call their speed-dial-programmed personal injury attorney if you accidentally shank one into them. I've seen Ronald Reagan, Michael Eisner, Garth Brooks (playing catch with his limo driver), Rene Russo, and many others walking, jogging or playing with their kids at Holmby. Corey Pavin practiced here with the UCLA guys (and we know how his short game turned out). Mac O'Grady loves it so much he now lists it as his home course on his US Open application (only Mac!). Every city and every club should have a 'pony' course like this. It's great fun for everyone, excellent practice, and wonderful for kids. And you can play 36 holes in an hour!"

This certainly will be entertaining to hear about!
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2007, 11:16:03 PM »
From an interview with golf writer Geoff Shackelford

Golf Club Atlas: What course is a personal favorite with which perhaps the readers may not be familiar? What do you like most about it so much?

Geoff Shackelford: Well, even the obscure ones I like have been seen by the knowledgeable folk reading your web site, or have been reviewed by you, so no use in repeating how much I admire something like Somerset Hills or Baltimore. So I'll have to go with the Armand Hammer Golf Course here in Los Angeles.

Bear with me here. It's 18 holes, on about two acres. The holes average about 50 yards. The shortest is about 25 yards, the longest about 70. It's in the most beautiful public park imaginable, in the Holmby Hills area, where the homes start at $4 million dollars. The park is right behind the L.A. Country Club driving range, and right underneath TV producer Aaron Spelling's 56,000-square-foot mansion.

The park and golf course are filled with many rare trees from around the world, some of which you have to hit low bump and run wedges under, perhaps more than most of us traditionalists would like, but that's the fun of it! There is also a man-made creek that comes into play on a few holes, and the course appears to have been designed by Frederick Law Olmsted's son, John, back in about 1927.

"Holmby," as locals call it, costs $2 to play, and a whopping $3 on weekends. The greens average about a 100 square feet, and there are no bunkers! It's great for your wedge game and wonderful fun to contest spirited matches on. Sort of "backyard golf," I suppose.

My Pepperdine teammates and I used to come here after playing Bel-Air early in the morning. At first they thought I was nuts, then they fell in love with it. But don't come here with the shanks. Very expensive German cars tend to park on the street around the course and come very close to a few of the holes, and there is no protective fencing. Many wealthy locals and stars walk around the park, and they won't hesitate to call their speed-dial-programmed personal injury attorney if you accidentally shank one into them.

I've seen Ronald Reagan, Michael Eisner, Garth Brooks (playing catch with his limo driver), Rene Russo, and many others walking, jogging, or playing with their kids at Holmby. Corey Pavin practiced here with the UCLA guys (and we know how his short game turned out). Mac O'Grady loves it so much he now lists it as his home course on his U.S. Open application (only Mac!). Every city and every club should have a "pony" course like this. It's great fun for everyone, excellent practice, and wonderful for kids. And you can play 36 holes in an hour!

The fifth green at the Armand Hammer Golf Course in Holmby Park.  Gotta love that walking path!

Looks pretty sporty!  But is it as challenging as the NLE pitch-and-putt at the Awahnee Hotel in Yosemite?

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2007, 11:17:06 PM »
Lots of eager beaver researchers here!  :o ;)

Steve Lapper

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2007, 11:18:50 PM »
Low Medal:

His Greatness 5-1                               49-58 (Over/Under)
The USGA's Prince of Darkness 5-2        46-55
The Professor  7-1                             50-59

Low Net:

They all cheat.....no line available at this time :o :o

I'll take the Yankee underdog!

« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 11:19:15 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

RJ_Daley

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2007, 11:55:11 PM »
With Tommy posting at this time of this particular night, I take it he isn't following TV too close and looking for a Boise State miracle for the Domers... :'(

As I remember from my brief walking tour of Tori Pines, they looked like they were stimping about 5.  Unfortunately, my host didn't have good sense to have us bring any golf clubs to play a quick round...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2007, 11:59:31 PM »
I'd watch this for the same reason most people watch Nascar... it's fun just as long as nobody gets hurt.

Is this golf's version of the unstoppable forces meeting the immovable object?

No one under 16 admitted unless accompanied by an adult, preferably about 22, female and an aspiring "actress."

Brad, if you need any help with some last-minute training let me know. I have a bottle of Scotch and cigars saved up for just this sort of situation. I can be at your house in 30 minutes.

Geoff, as a fellow Golfdom Contributing Editor I want to wish you luck and by all means, kick them when they're down.

Tommy, I'd tell you to bring your A game but Geoff Childs said you don't have one. Bring your C game, that should be plenty good enough.

In the immortal words of Chili Davis, "If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'."

I think Dave Silk said it best when he said, "Huh? What?"

May god (whichever one you choose) have mercy on your souls,

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back