News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Robin

Tasmania - Anything New Brewing?
« on: December 23, 2006, 02:16:15 AM »
With the successful start of Barnbougle Dunes, does anyone know of other
projects that are in the works, where on the island they are, and who are the forces behind them?

Matthew Delahunty

Re:Tasmania - Anything New Brewing?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2006, 07:45:04 AM »
Michael,

There are several developments in the pipeline but I'm unsure how far off the ground most of these are. The most advanced project of note appears to be the resort at Louisville Point. Greg Norman is meant to be the designer. Lousiville Point is on the east cost of Tasmania (n ortheast of Hobart) Here's a link to a semi-recent story.

http://www.abc.net.au/tasmania/stories/s1633491.htm

The other major one which has people talking is Musselroe Bay which is on the northeast tip of Tasmania. Mike Clayton is the muted designer. Musselroe Bay is in the same vicinity as Barnbougle, only more remote. I unsure of the current status of this project but it's probably a fair way off. I would think it would need some substantial backing to get it rolling.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 07:46:30 AM by Matthew Delahunty »

Glen Rapoport

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2006, 08:44:25 AM »
Michael,

when i was there in October there were rumors of a second course at Barnbougle....I think Mike Keiser from Bandon was mentioned as one who is interested in advising the Sattlers about it.  I believe they have enough land..

Glen

Michael Robin

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2006, 12:55:23 PM »
Glen - I think the land you're referring to is across the Cut from the 15th and 16th holes. Hope they do get the chance to put a course over there, it looks amazing!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2006, 12:58:40 PM by Michael Robin »

Mark_F

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2006, 05:40:44 PM »
It will be interesting to see if any of these get off the ground.

Tasmania has been the beneficiary of the exorbitant housing boom on the mainland in the past few years, with a great deal of migration taking place to the cheaper island.  I gather, however, it is still the interstate and overseas golfers who are funding Barnbougle.

I wonder what a second course woudl do to Barnbougle?

Would it entice more people to come down there, or would it just be the same number spending the same dollars but split between two courses?

Kind of like the 7 day trading arguments.

I believe the Norman development is pretty far advanced, as I played with someone a couple of months back who was doing some work for them.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2006, 08:43:53 PM »
The Musselroe Bay site is pretty amazing.
There is 5000 acres of sandy heathland and we have our pick of the land for the golf course - and with no restrictions like returning nines,specific yardage or par.
Musselroe Bay is a small sedaside holiday village with beautiful beaches and a permanent population of 12 people and it is an hour past Barnbougle on the same road.
My guess is that we will start some time in 2007.
With two courses at Barnbougle plus Musselroe the trip to Tasmaina,tied in with the sandbelt,will make the southern end of Australia an terrific place to play golf.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2006, 11:49:43 PM »
Mark,

I don't have any pictures but I will organize a few next time we are down there.

Barnnbougle have just added six or eight cabins and I assume they will add some more in time.Space is a bit of a problem and I think Ricahrd was prepared for no one to turn up when the course opened and he is understandably careful when it comes to adding a lot more accommodation.

When the idea of a course in northern Tasmania was first suggested most people opinioned than all involved were mad and that no one would ever go there to play golf.
So far they have been wrong.

Mark_F

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2006, 12:37:32 AM »
There is 5000 acres of sandy heathland and we have our pick of the land for the golf course

What are they going to do with the other 4500 acres Mike.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2006, 12:49:55 AM »
Mark,

There will be a hotel down there and some real-estate.
There is 1000 acres of heath that is untouchable but 4000 acres should be plenty for everybody!

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2006, 05:09:36 AM »
With 12 local residents I cannot see the waiting list for local members being too long!

For those visiting Tassie do not overlook Royal Hobart at 7 Mile Beach. It's a pleasant tree lined course with very quick true greens and friendly locals.

Mike - Surely it cannot be long before the bespoke North American golf market realises just how much Australia has to offer in terms of World Class golf and more people take golfing vacations downunder?
Cave Nil Vino

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2006, 12:45:30 PM »
Michael,

Glad to see the project will start to take shape soon, I do remember how excited yourself and Michael Cocking were at the potential of the site.

TK

Neil_Crafter

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2006, 04:11:02 PM »
Tasmania is not Mr Clayton's sole preserve! - my partner Paul Mogford and I have an involvement in 4 possible projects in Tassie, all at various stages of development. 3 involve adding new holes to existing courses in some form or another, while one is a new course on a spectacular oceanside site (not linksland).  The more quality golf in Tasmania the better a destination it will become for visitors from within Australia and overseas. Mike's project at Musselroe Bay sounds like it will be a great addition, and hopefully course 2 at Barnbougle will be realised as well, and then Tassie will be well on the way.
cheers Neil

Michael Robin

« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2006, 02:26:28 AM »
Thrilled to hear that there are projects that look to be on track. The land is raw and beautiful and not just on the coast. As I was driving from Launceston to Bridport, I was struck how wonderful the ground inland might be for golf. I'll try to put up some pics when Santa allows in the next couple of days.

Mark B. - The Bridport Conference Center is fine, if that's where you're staying. They actually have good food in their restaurant.

Mr. Clayton - Has Michael Cocking created any of his amazing drawings for Musselroe Bay yet? Any that you could share with us? Had the fortune of meeting Michael on his trip to the States last year. We braved a rainy day at Riviera together. His is a name that we should all keep an eye on.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2006, 06:50:59 PM by Michael Robin »

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2006, 04:38:01 PM »
Michael,

Mike was down with me at Musselroe but he hasn't drawn anything yet. I'm sure he will before long.
He is a beautiful drawer - his father was an art teacher which may have something to do with his talent.

You are right about the inland golf in Tasmania - there is a lot of perfect land and whilst Musselroe is near the coast most of the site the type of ground and vegetation you are talking about- although probably not quite as hilly.It is much different from Barnbougle.

Jason McNamara

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2006, 08:47:47 PM »
Mike -

Did I see something about mining issues which might hold things up, or has that been resolved?

Jason

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2006, 07:01:22 AM »
Jason,

There were some mining issues a few months ago but they were resolved.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2006, 07:16:08 AM »
Mike - reason for starting to plan a return trip!  Scuttlebut when I was at Barnbougle in March was that the second course would not be a Doak course.  Sattler was certainly inspired by the Bandon model.  Norman's name was mentioned as a possible 2nd course archie and we were asked by the staff what we thought of Norman courses we had played in the US.  I got the very sense that you cite - Sattler's approach at Barnbougle (as the lack of lodging suggests) is to go slowly and not to overextend.

JC      

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back