News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Colorado GC news
« on: December 19, 2006, 11:36:21 AM »
The website is now operational but requires registration. Great pictures of each hole and the short course. The clubhouse which opens in 2008 looks good too.

www.coloradogolfclub.com

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Scott Szabo

Re:Colorado GC news
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 12:03:27 PM »
Steve,

Thanks for the post.  The course looks great, and I love the short course.  
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 12:04:28 PM »
Interesting. The green at the 14th hole looks like another version of the Lion's Mouth, similar to the 12th hole at Chechessee Creek Club.
jeffmingay.com

Scott Szabo

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 12:10:13 PM »
#6 looks like quite a brute of a par three at 251 yards.  I love the 15 handicap that the hole has been assigned - you gotta be kidding me.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

dsilk

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 12:40:36 PM »
where is colorado gc?? (the computer that I am on doesnt allow for activation to the website-

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 12:45:19 PM »
It is south of Denver in Parker near Castle Pines.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Adam_Messix

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 03:38:49 PM »
Jeff---

The 14th green has a lion's mouth bunker fronting the green.  It's not as severe as the one at the Country Club of Charleston, but it works very well.  

The one thing that the website cannot give the visitor an appreciation of is the sidehill nature of the site on which most of the course is laid out (exception 4-7 and 12).  The uphill short par four eighth is going to be the most talked about hole there among this group I suspect, it has a very interesting smallish green.  

Scott--

The 6th hole is a brute, and is made really interesting by a large knob mowed at fairway height, short and right of the green.  The hole plays about 210-220 being as it's a little downhill and thin air.  I agree with the 15 handicap rating, it's not hard to bogey it but there isn't that much trouble around where the higher handicap player can make doubles and triples.  

« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 03:42:41 PM by Adam_Messix »

Scott Szabo

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2006, 04:42:56 PM »

Scott--

The 6th hole is a brute, and is made really interesting by a large knob mowed at fairway height, short and right of the green.  The hole plays about 210-220 being as it's a little downhill and thin air.  I agree with the 15 handicap rating, it's not hard to bogey it but there isn't that much trouble around where the higher handicap player can make doubles and triples.  

Adam,

In looking at the hole on their website, it looks as if it wouldn't take much to spray one to the right and into the native grasses.  I see the knob that you are referring to and would think that any fade hit into that know could be deflected into the native grasses.  I would think that this would bring double and triple into play for many, although it is my understanding that the native grasses will be kept at a playable height.

Scott

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2006, 07:14:23 PM »
They have used that Lion's Mouth feature on a bunch of their courses, from the 8th at Sand Hills to the 11th at East Hampton.  

I still think the best one was the original at Sand Hills, and I know it wasn't natural because it was one of the very few green sites that wasn't there when we walked the course prior to construction.

Adam_Messix

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 08:37:20 PM »
Scott--

The native grasses were playable when I was there and they are going try to keep them that way.  If a slice hits on the right side of the knob, it's only going to reach the minor rough.  The prairie grasses are a decent distance away from the knob on #6, I think it may be for the reason that you just mentioned.  

Scott Szabo

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 08:41:25 PM »
Thanks Adam.  Hope to play it sometime next year and see for myself.

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2006, 08:43:15 PM »
It looks like Cuscowilla could learn a thing or two from the marketing team at Colorado Golf Club ;)

With Cuscowilla, CGC and Sugarloaf Mtn coming out, is C&C becoming a real estate design shop?  

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2006, 08:44:53 PM »
Steve,

For the record I find full dislosure of one's interests in a club/development the better course . . . you've been posting a lot about CGC so is there anything we should know . . .?

Jason  

Michael Christensen

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2006, 09:05:36 PM »
when I was out in Denver in Spetember, I went by the site....it is phenomenal!  it is a haul from Denver though....that city has sprawled as much as Hotlanta.  

I just hope Sugarloaf Mtn is half as good....I am finishing up my paperwork right now....they say potential opening next fall/winter for C&C's latest in Clermont, FL

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2006, 09:05:52 PM »
No problem, just follow their instructions
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Mark_Fine

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2006, 09:31:42 PM »
Jason,
A company called On Tour Media did a lot of the marketing work for Colorado GC.  Tom Ferrell heads up the company.  He and I do a lot of golf stuff together including jointly writing golf articles, golf architecture history videos, general golf marketing, etc.  He is a great guy to know!

The golf course (as I said some months back) is tough as nails.  Might be one of the hardest C&C have designed but the owners wanted it that way.

I am anxious to get out to see it again.
Mark
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 09:31:55 PM by Mark_Fine »

Michael Robin

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2006, 01:37:37 AM »
Mark -

I got a grand tour of the place from Tom Ferrell last fall and he's a terrific guy. Supposed to be a really good player too, at least according to him (Kidding Tom). This looks to be quite a place and definately looks hard, and I think that's just how they want it. Could see this as a USGA site for any number of their championships.

The previously mentioned 14th looks to be a strategic beaut
with the hole having many options to be approached with. The big hitter can get it close to the green and leave himself a tricky flip sand wedge, the smart player might lay back and have full spin control over the approach, and the high handicapper can reach in 2 and find a par. But the big fun is definately on the putting green and it is all about finding the proper position to putt or chip from.

Another great piece of design is the alternate fairways 16th. This looks like Thomas' original design of the 8th at Riviera only as a par 5. There is a barranca running down the middle of the hole. The left fairway is safer and a probable 3-shot route, whereas the right fairway is a gambler's paradise. A very tiny target that if reached offers an iron go at the green with a forced carry, but from a better angle. Miss the target fairway or the carry on your second and you've made 7. A great move hole in determining the outcome of a match. One of the best split-fairway holes I've ever seen.

One other "unusual" hole is the terrific short 3rd. A semi-blind tee shot that requires some knowledge of that day's pin, 'cause if the pin is back
you likely want to hit less club and play for position to properly negotiate the barranca and great greenside bunker. If the pin is in the front, then a Driver to the flat at the end of the fairway looks to give the best angle, but pulls in some more fairway bunkers. Seems like a reverse of traditional thinking in that one should try to gain distance off of the tee to reach a back pin, and one can play it a little more cautiously off the tee when faced with a front pin. The quotes around "unusual"
are from part of Mr. Crenshaw's comment that is something like "This is a very unusual hole."  
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 02:28:42 AM by Michael Robin »

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2006, 06:20:03 AM »
Is it me, or does the bunkering "dialed back" for a C&C course? Seems likes there are lot less random and jagged lines. Nothing really jumped out at me as being very interesting.

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC
« Last Edit: December 20, 2006, 06:20:16 AM by Anthony_Nysse »
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Mark_Fine

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 08:00:52 AM »
Michael,
Tom is an excellent player.  We have teed it up together many times.  In fact I think I might have gotten the better of him during a round this past summer at Cherry Hills (a rarity).  Tom will tell you that we get our best ideas out on the golf course  ;)  He also gives a great tour so you were lucky to go around with him.

There are some unique holes for C&C and yes Tony, the bunkering might be a bit dialed back.  But that is not necessarily a negative.  Some people have questioned that C&C only do one style of bunkering, not that many many other architects past and present don't fall into the same category  ;)   The golf course is interesting but as I said before, it is one of their most difficult.  It will take a few times around to figure out just how good it is.

rjsimper

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2006, 10:34:51 AM »
Is it me, or does the bunkering "dialed back" for a C&C course? Seems likes there are lot less random and jagged lines. Nothing really jumped out at me as being very interesting.

Tony Nysse
Sr. Asst. Supt.
Long Cove Club
HHI, SC

That's one of the things that made this so visually appealing to me.  I've come out and said that I get tired of the same formulaic jagged bunkering appearing just a bit too often in places where maybe it's not the best choice.  One should be able to look at photos and say "wow, Coore and Crenshaw were here" and my first reaction to seeing CGC pictures was "Wow, this looks really nice...I wonder who did it?"  Imagine my pleasant surprise to hear that it was C/C.  Yes, I am not "in the loop" on keeping with their most recent projects, but it's nice to once in a while be thrown for a good loop like this.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2006, 01:12:19 PM »
Jason

Are you seeking a home and home? ;D

Actually, I'm a big fan of summer/fall golf in Colorado. I'm not a big fan of blizzards as Denver is having now.I don't ski. I'm not relocating to Denver and am not a member of CGC. However, if anyone wants to include me in a "National" corporate membership there, I'd volunteer my legal services.

I visited the site in 2005 and was impressed.The pics on the website clearly show this and the course, from the tips, has the required degree of difficulty. I think C&C wanted this course to be their showcase and host tournaments down the line. There are 2 members of the USGA Executive Committee from Denver, both of whom are members at Cherry Hills and at least one of them is a member of CGC to my knowledge, so this may just happen.

Steve

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2006, 01:16:42 PM »
Jason

Are you seeking a home and home? ;D

Actually, I'm a big fan of summer/fall golf in Colorado. I'm not a big fan of blizzards as Denver is having now.I don't ski. I'm not relocating to Denver and am not a member of CGC. However, if anyone wants to include me in a "National" corporate membership there, I'd volunteer my legal services.

I visited the site in 2005 and was impressed.The pics on the website clearly show this and the course, from the tips, has the required degree of difficulty. I think C&C wanted this course to be their showcase and host tournaments down the line. There are 2 members of the USGA Executive Committee from Denver, both of whom are members at Cherry Hills and at least one of them is a member of CGC to my knowledge, so this may just happen.

Steve

I'm offering my legal services as well and I'm $10 an hour cheaper than Steve ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2006, 04:31:28 PM »
Steve:

A home and home with any two C&C courses is always welcomed in my book!  I would be partial to Cuscowilla v. The Plantation Course myself ;D

CGC looks very interesting!

Jason

scott_wood

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2006, 07:10:13 PM »
Jason, can we turn this in to a home and home and home?

Question: My registration has been rejected, twice. Any ideas why? ( checked spelling, all fields filled. etc..for the wiseacres )

Merry Christmas to all
Scott

Jay Flemma

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2006, 07:17:37 PM »
I'm a big fan of the Lion's Mouth as well.  I know they did 8 at sand hills, as Tom said, and the heart shaped green at chechessee is close too...I wonde is it merely heart shaped or is it the sharper true liopns mouth that really wraps around!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back