News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Abbeydale - Fowler
« on: December 01, 2006, 07:17:36 AM »
Abbeydale in Sheffield is a Fowler course which I don't know.  From the aerial (S17 4QA) the bunkering looks elaborate.  The website http://www.abbeydalegolf.co.uk/ suggests that they are proud of their Fowler heritage.  Does anybody know it.  Is it worth a visit?

If you are looking at the aerial that is Dore and Totley GC to the south east and Beauchief Municipal to the north.

Paul_Turner

Re:Abbeydale - Fowler
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 07:36:30 AM »
That looks like it could be a real "sleeper".  Never heard of it.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 08:20:54 AM »
Mark,

haven't played Abbeydale for over 20 years but my rather hazy recollection of it was that of a solid course without leaving you with the feeling of wanting to go staight out on a second round. At that time it lacked any real character and at the time I had the feeling it had been dumbed down a lot. I am sure, if not already done in the last twenty, that a good renovation program would be enough to turn this into a real hidden gem.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 09:51:04 AM »
Jon, It looks in very good nick on the aerial and the web site suggested they have won an awad for greenkeeping, so maybe they've done a restoration job.  I'll put it on the list for next year's visits.  

Adam Uttley

Re: Abbeydale - Fowler
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2021, 06:08:42 AM »
I’ve just moved into the area and had no idea Abbeydale was a Fowler.  I popped up there to walk a few holes a couple of weeks ago and played the course for the first time yesterday.  Even though trees have been allowed to grow and conceal many great features and some of the original strategy, there’s a lot still to like about Abbeydale.  The land itself is great for golf, tumbling up and down and some good features to route around in the middle of the course.  The greens are a highlight with many remaining large and undulating, reminiscent of Beau Desert, albeit a little softer. 

With some tree clearance and reinstatement of original features this could easily become the best course in Sheffield.

I am planning to return on Friday 15 October with Duncan Cheslett.  If any of you would like to join us, let me know.  In the meantime, I’ll try to post some pictures.

Adam Uttley

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2021, 06:21:09 AM »
1st tee shot.  A dog leg left.  Big hitters can go over the trees on the left, everyone else steers right of them.  The hole borders the 5th to the right and hidden beneath the dividing trees are an original bunker complex now grassed over  :( .

1st approach shot.  A huge green with a superb back right shelf, approached from an elevated position.

2nd hole.  A short par 3 (120-130yds). 

13th hole.  Long par 4.  Hole slopes heavily right to left. Bunkers aren’t reachable for most and used to be in the middle of the fairway (pre trees).

15th hole.  140yd par 3.  Nice hole across a ravine.

I took all these photos whilst walking part of the course a couple of weeks ago.  Having played yesterday (no photos taken) I realised that many of the best holes were the ones I didn’t get to whilst walking.  The stretch from 9-15 would be excellent with a bit of tree removal.  I’ll try to post more after this Friday.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2021, 06:39:27 AM by Adam Uttley »

Adam Uttley

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2021, 06:59:04 AM »
Just to add some context to the tree removal and hidden features.  Below is the current Google Maps aerial and one from 1971.  The 5th fairway slopes heavily from right (inside the dogleg) to left.  The old bunkers seemed to provide a great risk/reward element as a shot from those provided a hideous angle into the green, especially with the slope.  Equally, the bunkers between the 7th and 16th are lost beneath the trees, which it is also worth saying spoil the views somewhat.

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2021, 01:55:47 PM »
Thanks for bringing this course to our attention Adam, keep posting pics please. I spent four years at University in Sheffield, but without a car didn't bother golfing in those winters. Team trials at Tinsley Park and Bondhay didn't exactly inspire. 

John Mayhugh

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 07:10:49 AM »
Adam,
Thanks for the photos. The trees do seem to be concealing some interesting land.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2021, 09:48:11 AM »
Thanks for highlighting. If is course is by Herbert Fowler it’s likely got plenty of merit even if the merit is now hidden somewhat by modern era tree growth and planting.
Atb

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2022, 08:05:57 AM »
Thanks for bringing this course to our attention Adam, keep posting pics please. I spent four years at University in Sheffield, but without a car didn't bother golfing in those winters. Team trials at Tinsley Park and Bondhay didn't exactly inspire.

I played at Bondhay in an inter club match on Sunday. I did a search here to see if anyone else had ever had the misfortune to play it.

My commiserations, Clyde! 🤣

My playing partner proudly told me that they had planted 100,000 trees and that Donald Steele no longer wanted his name associated with the place…
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 08:08:01 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back