News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Geoffrey_Walsh

Catalina Island GC
« on: November 30, 2006, 02:07:23 PM »
Playing around with Google, I noticed this current 9-holer on an island just off the coast from LA.  The website mentioned two things that intrigued me... it used to be 18 holes, and it used to be the home for the "Bobby Jones Invitational Tournament" from the early 1930's until the mid 1950's.

http://www.visitcatalinaisland.com/avalon/acti_golf.php

Anyone know much about the course?  Who designed it?  Could it be restored back to the original 18?  Is it worth making the trip out there to play in its current condition?

I wasn't aware that Bobby Jones had an invitational tournament on the West Coast.  Any info on the tournament would be greatly appreciated as well.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 02:21:51 PM by Geoffrey_Walsh »

Kirk Gill

Re:Catalina Island GC
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 02:24:39 PM »
A quick search revealed only that the course was "built by the Banning Brothers" in 1892 (!) and hosted the Bobby Jones tourney from 1931-1955. However, the same site mentions that the course was expanded to 18 holes in 1929 but fell into disrepair during the WWII years and was reduced to 9 holes in 1945.

http://www.visitcatalinaisland.com/avalon/acti_golf.php
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Lou_Duran

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2006, 02:37:16 PM »
I saw it earlier this year and it looked very rudimentary.  One doesn't travel to Catalina to play golf.

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 02:42:44 PM »
I saw it earlier this year and it looked very rudimentary.  One doesn't travel to Catalina to play golf.

Given that, it seems odd that Jones would make it the host course for a tournament bearing his name when one considers the other options in Southern California available at the time.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 02:44:56 PM by Geoffrey_Walsh »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 02:59:09 PM »
During that time, a resort hotel with grand ballroom was developed on the island and it became a place for the beautiful people to be seen.  I don't remember the history well, but the developers of the resort, probably the aforementioned brothers, became very involved in the growth of the city and in attracting the upscale clientele.  Apparently there is some good fishing, sailing, and diving around the islands.  I suspect that the cooler weather, proximity, and more relaxed environment were factors for those seeking to escape the summer heat in L.A.

Regarding the golf, a thing to remember is that back in those days, the quaility of the course was much less important to the pros than the purse, inducements, and amenities offered.

ed_getka

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2006, 03:15:48 PM »
Catalina is a much better place to run a marathon than to play golf. :)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2006, 03:23:45 PM »
I saw a PBS special about Catalina island that mentioned the golf course. Apparently the Wrigley family owned most or all of the island, the course was kept for them and the Chicago Cubs who used to spend spring training on the island prior to WWII. I have seen the nine holer that is now left and it has some changes in elevation and is pretty tight but not worth the special trip.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back