News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Gary Slatter

bunker liners
« on: November 09, 2006, 09:47:22 PM »
Is there a valid reason why some bunkers have liners and some don't?  I understand their "use" to prevent rocks from coming to the surface, but can they help drainage?  Does it make any sense to have liners in shallow flood prone bunkers?
I have played too many courses with the liners showing, it seems when they are repaired the liners are history. Sorry if this is a dumb question from an old Pro, but a question from a 27 handicapper got me thinking about it.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Mark_Fine

Re:bunker liners
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2006, 09:59:50 PM »
Gary,
Bunker liners will do nothing to help a poorly designed bunker with less than adquate drainage.  I know a good book that talks about all of this  ;)  

Mike_Young

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2006, 10:06:34 PM »
In the south I have seen them used and not used.  I don't think they help that much with most bunkers.  It is critical that you create the final sand line at the time of the edging and then it cannot be changed plus in edging many times the liner is cut.  I have seen more problems than good.  And if there is gravel present....it will contaminate.  There is all sorts of hype but in the end it is a hazard and how does a liner help...oh....and if a liner is exposed or contacted it can be an issue for the golfer.....JMO
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2006, 11:02:36 PM »
Bunker liners are well intentioned but the problem comes down to maintaining sand depth. It takes a lot of time and money to keep track of the proper sand depths in each bunker especially if there are over 200. If the bunker sand is too low in an area it leaves it very vulnerable and will eventually rip. And then you get see the liner sticking out of the sand and nobody wants to see that  >:(

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back